PDA

View Full Version : SSO tanking gear

Anglachel
03-28-2008, 07:23 AM
i haven't seen any discussion on 2 very nice items that will be available at Exalted with the Shattered Sun Offensive, so i thought i would start it with some opinions.

Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34680)

Same stamina as Brooch of Deftness (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33296), 9 less hit and 3 less expertise. In return for that stat loss you get a proc if youˇre exalted with aldor/scryer. For aldor it's +100 dodge rating, and for Scryer is +100 expertise rating. In my opinion this piece means that if you haven't picked up the Brooch of Deftness, it's better to save your badges and get this, since SSO rep is fairly easy to get with all those dailies.

Dawnforged Defender (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34676)

Hit rating and a block value as high as the S1 shield (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28358) makes this a great piece for threat, and very worthy of being picked up.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

ebs2002
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I've been comparing the shield with Nightbane's Shield:
Dawnforged Defender
Shield of Impenetrable Darkness

Same armor, same block. Lose 2 sta and 22 defense rating (0.36% dodge and parry), gain 18 dodge (0.95% dodge) and 13 hit rating.

Looks like it's worth the few daily quests it would take to get, if only for threat. If you don't drop below 490 Defense, that is.

Xriya
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Pendant? Is it worth giving up the extra stats from the Brooch?
Thanks
Xriya

Krakbak
04-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Is it 18 Dodge Rating or 18 Block Rating? WoWwiki has block rating and WoWhead has Dodge rating.

If its dodge rating, Im taking it over my Crest of Sha'tar.

ebs2002
04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
The WoW Armory says dodge, so I think that's the definitive answer.

Kazeyonoma
04-04-2008, 11:14 AM
I've been comparing the shield with Nightbane's Shield:
Dawnforged Defender
Shield of Impenetrable Darkness

Same armor, same block. Lose 2 sta and 22 defense rating (0.36% dodge and parry), gain 18 dodge (0.95% dodge) and 13 hit rating.

Looks like it's worth the few daily quests it would take to get, if only for threat. If you don't drop below 490 Defense, that is.

9.3 defense skill * .04 = .372 miss/dodge/parry/block

straight avoidance wise you get 1.116% total avoidance from shield of impenetralb.e so you actually LOSE a bit of avoidance by going to the new shield. the only thing you're really looking at gaining is the 13 hit rating.

ebs2002
04-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes, I forgot about miss when I posted that. 0.372 is a nice theoretical number, but it's never accurate. It's either 0.36, or 0.40, depending on your defense at the time.

As a threat shield, it's still worth it imo.
For an EH/Threat build, I'd still do it.
For an avoid set (ie vs prince), I'd wear Nightbane's

codecreeper61
04-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I just got the inuuro's Blade and swapped it out with Gromtor's Charge was that a good choice. I am having problems getting gear in Heroics and seems like a good option over The Suneater.

Arrivan
04-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Of course, if Nightbane won't cough up for you ( D:< ) the choice is simple. The Defender kicks the Crest of the Sha'tar up and down the street for everything except a little bit of stamina if you'll stay over 490 def with it. Besides, the graphic is much cooler too :)

Scargoth
04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Pendant? Is it worth giving up the extra stats from the Brooch?
Thanks
Xriya

The pendant will proc roughly every 45 sec while in combat. According to my logs it procs slightly more often than mongoose on my weapon. So for example you can expect 7 procs in a 6 minute fight give or take.

Much better than the brooch for me (aldor) so I will stick with it.

bosephus
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Yes, I forgot about miss when I posted that. 0.372 is a nice theoretical number, but it's never accurate. It's either 0.36, or 0.40, depending on your defense at the time.

As a threat shield, it's still worth it imo.
For an EH/Threat build, I'd still do it.
For an avoid set (ie vs prince), I'd wear Nightbane's

How would you compare the Gladiator's Shield Wall to the Dawnforged Defender for that EH/Threat build? S1 Glad has more armor and stam and provides resilience instead, but lacks the avoidance...

Or would the Dawnforged Defender be better for a Threat set, S1 better for EH, and Shield of Impenetrable Darkness better for avoidance?

(I got all three and I'm trying to figure out which ones get +18 stam and which ones get a felsteel shield spike :D)

ebs2002
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I just got the inuuro's Blade and swapped it out with Gromtor's Charge was that a good choice. I am having problems getting gear in Heroics and seems like a good option over The Suneater.

Hands down Inuuro's blade is better for threat, unless you're an orc. If you're an orc, the expertise may make the Grom'tor's Charge better (although it depends on how much you're able to spam Heroic Strike).

As for the Glad Wall, Defender and Impenetrable Darkness question, I really have no idea what I'd do. Glad's seems best for EH, so I'd probably put +18sta on that. Impenetrable Darkness and Dawnforged both have more threat on them (block value is higher than the Glad's wall because of their equip values), so what I'd probably do is put +18sta on the Impenetrable Darkness for fights when you need more avoidance, and +18 block value on the dawnforged defender for trash clearing and high threat fights...but I'm not sure if that's the right call.

IMO, the felsteel shield spike is only good for two situations: pvp shields, and AE tanking (putting it on the Sporeggar shield, for instance).

What I did, and I actually wanted to post here to see what other people think of it:

I have Shield of Impenetrable Darkness and Dawnforged Defender. I kept the +18sta on SoID, and put +18block value on the Defender, which I will use on all trash clearing fights and high threat fights (Nalorekk and the easy fights in Kara). Was this the right call, or is the +18bv not as good as a shield spike? Or is it not worth having either of these for the scenarios I listed, and I should just keep +18sta on it?

bosephus
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
I read a post by somebody on this forum (too many threads!) that for threat generation, a shield spike is generally better than the +18SBV enchant. I could be remembering wrong, but that's why I excluded it from my post above.

In a case like Gruul or Void Reaver, however, you'd want the SBV over the shield spike.

edit: oh, and I have a spike on the Sporregar Shield, too ;)

edit2: the shield spike is better than the +18sbv is information I got from Veneratio's Tanking Tips article, "Part 3: Maximizing your Boss Threat"

Naka
04-15-2008, 04:59 AM
Assuming you have 3/3 Shield Mastery, 18 SBV will add 18 * 1.3 = 23.4 damage to your shield slams. This is rounded down to 23. With Shield Slam every 6 seconds, thats ~3.8 dps.

The shield spike deals 26-38 damage when you block, so 32 damage on average.
To obtain 3.8 dps with it, you need to block every 32/3.8 = 8.2 seconds. With a typical block rate of 20%, this requires you to get hit at least every 8.2/5 = 1.64 seconds. At 25% block rate, it's 2.05 seconds.

So, against a single mob, it depends on your block rate and the mob's swing timer. For not dual wielding bosses, 18 SBV is very likely to be superior for threat. On top of that, it adds some mitigation, which gets better, the faster the mob hits. So I'd never put the spike on a shield i use for bosses.
But if you get hit by more than one mob, the spike is definetely superior for threat.

ebs2002
04-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Naka, that was my mentality. When I'm using my threat shield, I'm most likely using it on trash pulls and NOT spamming shield block. In this gear, I usually have 20&#37; or less block value alone.

Also, you can amend your 18SBV to include the meta gem. 18 * 1.4 = 25.2dmg every shield slam, or 4.167 dps. Shield Slams can also crit, doubling the damage. Not huge, but at 6% crit, that modifies to 4.417 dps

To meet this damage with a shield spike averaging 32dmg, you need to block every 32/4.417 = 7.25seconds. 20% block rate = 1.44secs. At 25% block rate, every 1.81secs.

So if our math is correct, the 18SBV is, as you said, superior for threat on single target mobs that aren't Brutallus. For AE tanking or multi-mob tanking, the spike is better.

Grakzul Slaughtbringer
04-17-2008, 07:03 AM
I am wondering which enchant I will use on my new Dawnforged shield. I have the Nightbane Shield with a 18sta on it, I think I will keep it for all the bosses.

But I'm not sure what to put on the dawnforged...I want a threat shield for sure, the Felsteel Spike looks awesome but you say it is worth against multi mobs. As a MT of my guild, progressing in Hyjal soon, I don't tank many mobs...in 5man or 10man it should be a better choice? I heard there were plenty of trash mobs in Hyjal so am I going to tank several mobs simultaneously? (if yes the spike is better...)
The 18SBV enchant looks great too, maybe it is a little bit more useful for a tank like me?

Anyway is the threat difference high enough between those 2 shield enchantments to decide which one is better?

ebs2002
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm not in Hyjal, so I don't know how much multi-mob tanking you'd be doing...but as I understand, Hyjal really wants a pally tank because of the larger packs of mobs you fight at a time. If that is in fact true, the spike would be better for you there.

For 10-mans, though, assuming you have two tanks, the SBV enchant is my choice, and what I use in both Kara and ZA for everything except boss fights