PDA

View Full Version : Shear Absurdity (shear mechanic question)

Alent
03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
So, my guild's not there yet, but I had one of those wierd "huh..." thoughts come up earlier... How does Shear work, mechanically speaking? I mean, we all know "illidan casts shear, you shield block/holy shield/intervene to avoid it", but how does it work? If you "block" it, it doesn't apply shear? How does it determine a block? by the game returning "Attack blocked", or your shield block value reducing the attack to 0?

If it's shield block reducing the attack to zero, could you stack blessing of sanctuary, Stoneskin totem, earthen elixir and the like and simply reduce shear to 0 without shield block?

Jericho
04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
To try and answer this in as simple as possible ...

He casts Sheer... it has an actual cast time, with a cast bar. Its relatively quick to cast but its incredibly easy even with mid level latency to hit the SB button before it hits.

As to its mechanics... its a pure avoidance check. If you are naturally uncrushable, then you can not be sheered. In other words, it can be parried, dodged or blocked. Personally, I see it being parried and dodged alot more than I see the "Sheer(Blocked)" text scroll across my screen. If it hits you, you get the debuff. Its a binary system, you either avoid the attack and thus avoid the debuff, or you do not avoid it and receive the debuff. There is no damage involved, so your theory about reducing the damage done to 0 will not effect it in anyway.

In the end, Sheer is Blizzard's way of giving a boss the ability to "Crush" on an easy to see ability with a cooldown and a castbar.

byechee
04-01-2008, 03:50 PM
shear is blizzard's way of making sure tanks aren't just spamming all their keys at all times so that when they need to use an ability it'll be available.

also shear can't miss, so do not factor your miss chance in if you're relying on passive uncrushability to save your ass.

Worldie
04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Wanting to fix a error.

Shear _can_ hit you even if you are passively uncrushable.
It is almost impossible to be passively Shear immune.

To be immune to it, Parry+Dodge+Block must be > 101.8%

teez
04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Wanting to fix a error.

Shear _can_ hit you even if you are passively uncrushable.
It is almost impossible to be passively Shear immune.

To be immune to it, Parry+Dodge+Block must be > 101.8%

It's certainly possible, I make use of this whenever my computer is acting up (thanks, Vista), or when my internet is being overly laggy (which can happen occasionally seeing as how I play on US realms from Europe)

As Jericho was saying though, it's definitely easy to SB Shears even if you're sitting at like 500ms. I usually sit at ~180ms or so which makes it a total joke, just saying, more is still simple as heck.

edit: as for the shear immune gear, I get GoA+Agi Pot+ZA Shield w/ block enchant on top of my normal crushing immune gear to attain the 102ish% avoidance neccessary without miss factored in.