PDA

View Full Version : 60-70 - DPS/Tank Spec?

Mallagant
03-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I am not sure if this is the proper forum; however, I am researching viable sub 70 DPS/tank specs.

How much do I need to spec into prot if I want to tank sub 70 outland instances? Obviously, I am still leveling so I do not want to gimp my DPS too much, but by the same token, I would like to be a decent tank on my way to 70.

I looked over wowwiki (http://www.wowwiki.com/Warrior_builds#Other_Level_70_Builds) and saw a few hybrid specs. These appear to be what I am looking for, but they are level 70 specs. My thought is to use these as a basis building up arm/fury then fill out prot as I go.

I'd appreciate some advice on how to best proceed.

Thanks

Kream
03-24-2008, 12:07 AM
I am not sure if this is the proper forum; however, I am researching viable sub 70 DPS/tank specs.

How much do I need to spec into prot if I want to tank sub 70 outland instances? Obviously, I am still leveling so I do not want to gimp my DPS too much, but by the same token, I would like to be a decent tank on my way to 70.

I looked over wowwiki (http://www.wowwiki.com/Warrior_builds#Other_Level_70_Builds) and saw a few hybrid specs. These appear to be what I am looking for, but they are level 70 specs. My thought is to use these as a basis building up arm/fury then fill out prot as I go.

I'd appreciate some advice on how to best proceed.

Thanks

The problem with DPS/hybrid specs is that they give up a lot in tanking ability, but have very little gains in DPS. With the new changes in prot, I actually prefer grinding as prot to arms or fury. Here is what I would use:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LcZVZdxt0IMzfxst)

As you level, max out Deflection, Imp Thunderclap, then Imp HS (or you could go for Unbridled Wrath after Deflection if you like)

For soloing you are going to want to be DWing with 5% +hit and plenty of AP. You'll want a slow mainhand for high damage Devastates, and a weapon with good DPS and stats for your offhand (the delay really doesn't matter here, you will rarely be using WW). Do not use a shield. Please, please do not use a shield for soloing.

Answering the questions now:
You don't have Improved Shield Block?
Improved Shield Block is a prerequisite for raiding. It is a lot of points spent if you won't be tanking anything that crushes.

Improved Taunt?
It's good for 5-mans, and its good training wheels for a tank

Improved Shield Bash?
There really isn't much else better, and it has some utility for moving casters around in a group setting. Get something else if you don't like it.

Improved Blood Rage?
Tough call here.. Imp BR is nice for starting a pull with Shield Slams, but Tactical Mastery has it's merits as well. You won't be using Bloodrage for soloing, but you'll like the extra rage in a group.

Why wouldn't you just do Fury with a few points in Prot?
I've done grinding both as 44/17 and 10/7/44. Prot is faster. I'm dead serious.

sevve
03-24-2008, 03:26 AM
I've also found lately that devastate dps is awesome(I can do around 700dps raid buffed).
Still, I have to question, have you tried this at lower levels? From what I can figure, devastate dps scales a lot better with gear due to weapon-damage based instant attacks constantly being spammed.
Just wondering:>

Kreya
03-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I've run 60-70 instances with arms and fury warriors that had just enough points in protection for tact mastery and defiance. They generated enough threat to hold mobs off of equal level dps.

protonly
03-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Why wouldn't you just do Fury with a few points in Prot?
I've done grinding both as 44/17 and 10/7/44. Prot is faster. I'm dead serious.

You're dead right man. I am leveling up another warrior and am 56 and I can grind mobs a helluva lot easier as prot than I did as arms/fury. I went with 5/5 in deflection, 1/3 in tclap, and the rest in prot about as you had it (except 3/3 in tact mastery, can't live w/o it). I second imp shield bash b/c it does help with caster mobs a lot.

Though I do level with a shield, just b/c I like shield slam and conc blow a lot...

Kream
03-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I've also found lately that devastate dps is awesome(I can do around 700dps raid buffed).
Still, I have to question, have you tried this at lower levels? From what I can figure, devastate dps scales a lot better with gear due to weapon-damage based instant attacks constantly being spammed.
Just wondering:>

No, when I leveled, prot was much slower. I don't really see DW Devastate spam as being too gear dependent. All you need to make it work is hit capping your specials and stacking a lot of str, where other builds need decent crit rating to really shine. I hope the OP writes back and lets us know how his build goes.

On second thought about my previous build, you could probably skip Shield Mastery. It's nice for bigger shield slams, but a leveling spec would probably prefer one of the lower tier Arms/Fury talents for those 3 points.

jlafleur
03-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Feral druid

Mallagant
03-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks all for the replies.:)

I plan on trying the spec Kream suggested to see how things go.

I was a little bit leary about going deep into prot only because one of my buddies is full prot and his DPS is pretty bad---The good news is that he never dies. The bad news is that it takes him "10 mins to kill something" (an exageration obviously). Of course, he is level 70 so he is probably more invested into prot (definitely raid spec) than Kream's build (I'm at work so so I can't view the build until I get home).

Kreya
03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
How much do I need to spec into prot if I want to tank sub 70 outland instances?

Imp Bloodrage(2/2)
Tact Mastery(3/3)
Anticipation (5/5)
Defiance(3/3)
Last Stand(1/1) ... not necessary, but it's right there

Tristessa
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
I respecced to put 14 points into Protection around the lower 60s into an Arms/Prot build. Forgot what else I took, but basically it looked something like this:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LVMcbAioM0zZVZfxz0h)

As long as the rest of the group don't expect uber-snap-aggro generation then it should be okay for most if not all normal Outlands instances.

Mallagant
04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Well I have been trying 60-70 as 41pt prot and so far it's not too bad. I am 64 about ready to ding 65. I do pretty well questing with spamming devastate and holding aggro in instances is a piece of cake.

I was recently complimented by a 70 lock and 70 mage that ran mana-tombs with me on well I hold aggro. They said they found that many 70 tanks had trouble holding aggro with them bombing away. Made me feel pretty good.

I am glad I went this deep into protection as I have found far too many DPS classes (at least at this level) have no idea about threat and threat generation. More than once, I have had to ask hunter, mages, locks, etc to at least wait until I hit the mob first (and my knife throw doesnt count as hitting a mob)...so snap aggro generation is very much an expectation.:rolleyes:

furiousferret
04-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I was going to post this same thing, as a warrior in Outlands you are going to be invited to instances to MT, however you still can't ignore questing. I was considering going 0/41/20, and some people are talking about going full prot, however it seems like there isn't a solid spec here which will work. Is the 15 points in prot good enough, when should I stop speccing into fury and into prot?

Synza
04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
I found grinding and questing quite easy as prot. I pretty much used the same build I'm using now from level 58 to 70 (with fewer talents obviously). I found that I could go for longer without needing to stop to eat than when i was fury. I also found that staying in my tank gear but equipping an off-hand weapon and spamming devastate in zerker stance let me kill reasonably quick whilst reducing damage taken as much as possible. Try it, it may work for you. If it doesn't you can always go for a 40/20 in fury for the extra crit etc, never tried it but I imagine it works alright, and will be adequate for tanking untill about 68 when you may want to think about retalenting and putting your extra talents into arms for the parry, imp tc etc which helps with tanking and also helps up your dps slightly.

Hannesv
05-05-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm leveling protection since lvl 49, and I must say, I really love it, atm, I'm lvl 61, and leveling together with a holy priest. When I quest alone or anything, I just devastate, overpower and heroic strike, and it works well, if I have more then 3 mobs on me, I put on my shield, go defensive stance, and try, if it won't work, I just run, and pop shield wall.

Also, when you level protection, you find a group instantly! Also, people add you to friends and you'll get invited to instances alot ^^

Morgo
05-06-2008, 09:02 AM
One more reason why I preferred to level as prot 60-70 was the fact that you got used to your class/spec right away, I turned 70 and didn't have to figure out how to get my SS/Rev/Dev/Dev working. also, I found Last Stand great for questing when you got more adds than you liked... And yeah, by the time you hit 70 you will probably have a friend list full of nice healers and some decent dps, so you can start working on you Kara gear right away ;)

Edit: when fighting caster type mobs, I would always go with a shield for spellreflect and shield bash, I didn't like zerker stance at all while questing.

Vonbek
07-11-2008, 02:38 AM
I have been leveling 2 warriors at the same time, initially as an experiment between the Arms and Fury trees. At 40 I respec'd my Tauren to Protection, and I have been pleasantly surprised with how good he is for questing and soloing (currently 63). My Orc Fury warrior takes a beating, and is constantly bandaging and eating. I am strongly considering respec'ing him to a RIPPER build, because I don't enjoy leveling him as much as the Tauren.

Prot warriors are just tough - if you aggro an add or 2 it means a long fight, but not a long run from the graveyard ;)

CyCy
07-12-2008, 07:33 AM
I have gone solid prot to 58 early leveling was hard but once I earned devastate kills go quick. I also use a 1.5 off hand to pop devastate quick. Also using battle stance and pots i.e defense and agility or strengh pots while soloing makes it unnecessary to switch gear for me anyway. I went fury for 49 BG's and hated it. It's hard giving up the damage absorbtion to be a rogue in plate. And only having to use quick bandages or Naruu is nice to keep questing. I've found from 50-58 its about two hours of solid questing to lvl prot. w/ questhelpers assistance lol

Lucinam
07-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Just respec'd my Warrior to prot when I hit 60 and went to Outlands. So far it's worked out quite well. The first few levels here suck anyway, everything aggro's and your constantly eating.

I did a Ramps run though and man I was squishy. However, I held aggro easily (as long as I had the CHANCE to get aggro) and we got it done with only a couple of wipes due to me not getting healed.

CyCy
07-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I am currently 62 on the tank I am building and believe me PROT IS BETTER for leveling alone and easy to find a group to get the gear to lvl quicker. You must must have two sets of gear for dps pve and tanking. The wall i've hit lately however is having to wear some mail when I quest just to build rage.

And remember to look at your stats in battlestance (with battle shout active). Get a DPS meter and experiment with gear and rotations and based on how you play find what works for you.

At 62 and still low hp 6200 in dps gear I will DW a 2.6 in my main and depending on how hard the mobs can hit use another 2.6 or a 1.6 dagger. Feel free to check my build just tweaked it a little bit cause I plan to run instances mostly til I can hit netherstorm.

I have quested with fury and arms warriors and yeah they can kill alot faster but if I dont hold aggro for them it's alot of bandages and eating in between fights. I found as a dranei shield bash, gift of naruu, concussive blow, heavy netherweave bandage allows me to roll right into the next mob w/o having to stop.

Valley
07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
I may be the odd one out here. I went lvling as ms. I think this is the build I would use starting at 61

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LA0czAioM0dbZZcbt0h)

(weapon spec depending on what you have aviable, i had an axe)

Next points would probably go into
imp revenge/maxing anticipation
Imp taunt/sunder Taunt was great to have with all the dur whats agro/threat mechanics.

with the last few points going into cruelty until i grabbed a full on prot build after a few 70 instances.

Jrix
08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Level with devastate, watch in embarrassing horror as your dps increases. (Until weapons scale at 70)