PDA

View Full Version : Feral Hydross Frost tank?

Alent
03-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Ok, so, I'm entertaining the idea of tanking Hydross as a Feral druid. Some friends asked me to look at how feasible it was, it looks to me like it's doable.

This is the warcrafter sandbox profile I built to test the idea, they didn't have Magic Resistance Potion as a buff option, and their system highballs the blue and green resist piece I have picked (1 point high on both). It's also stupid and stacks Imp mark and frost resist aura/totem. So where it says 338, it'll really be 353 or thereabouts.

70 Night Elf Druid (http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/40921?b=0G0P0V0i181B1M1R1X262I)

This requires some difficult to get gear, but my question is: is 353 sufficient, or do I need to pump it the rest of the way to 365? I can sub level 70 frost resist greens in place of the polar leather, gain the extra 12 or so resist probably with a single piece then frost armor kit it, but I'd lose 1% to 2% dodge because the greens don't have agi on them.

Kininye
03-22-2008, 06:07 AM
My guild attempted Hydross only once recently, and I was only one of two tanks to have frost or nature gear.

Painful lesson learned: even though Hydross does pure magic damage, they still follow the mechanics of standard combat...i.e. being uncrittable is a requirement and dodge is still very important.

It's not that you couldn't try as a feral, but if you look up the gear plate wearers get it'll just piss you off that they have crafted level 70 epic tank resist gear. They just make much more sense to be tanks on resist fights because of itemization :(.

hbombs
03-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Ive been tanking hydross as the frost tank for about a month or two now (warrior) I run with 343 buffed resist and it works really well. I decided to keep my HP up and remain uncrittable instead of hitting the resist cap. It hasnt been a problem since the first night we tried him. I have no idea how much harder it is to gear up a feral. Honestly i would say gear the tanks who have the best attendance and are dedicated to the guild regardless of class.

Nicki
03-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I know of druids who have done it so its very very doable.

Some people prefer resist cap as hydross can hit very hard and its better to have maximum resists...

Alent
03-22-2008, 12:06 PM
To the person who made the crit comment - I am crit immune in that set I linked. the defense is low because I made up the difference w/ resil.

to Hbombs: Cool.... what's average incoming damage on it for you at 343? I'll be about 7 points higher so it should be very comparable.

Ceravantes
03-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Magic resistance Potions dont stack with totems/auras.

Alent
03-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Hmm. :^/

I'll confirm that but if that's the case I have to scrounge an extra 50. Thanks for the heads up.

Nikya
03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
When my guild does Hydross, I am the frost tank and depending we either have a feral druid or the other prot warrior tank nature. I know the druid farmed two Gladiator pieces and filled them with void spheres, and he mostly uses nature protection greens. I'm almost certain he uses some cloth greens since we couldn't find any leather and armor does not matter on Hydross.

sunless
04-06-2008, 03:50 AM
True story, i pulled aggro off our frost druid tank(I'm nature), so of course i died. Time for phase change, druid continues to tank nature phase in frost gear, worked fairly well till around the 50% mark, when she died. We use a paladin in partial resist (nature and frost) for adds. Somehow he managed to gain aggro on Hydross after the druids death. He tanked both phases of the fight from 70% till dead. I guess my point is just use a paladin to tank it all lol.(We've never tried that, i wouldn't recommend it, but it is possible)

Bolgrom
05-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I am the feral tank and frost tank for my guild. We down hydross on first try, everytime (besides the first time, we got him down 3rd try). I highly recommend using a couple pieces of heavy clefthoof for the defense, and the rest is 65-70 frost resistance leather greens. I have roughly 12k hp unbuffed (down from 17.5 unbuffed) with 370 frost resist with the pally aura (5 too high, i know). The first attempt I had only 340 frost resist (don't tell anyone in my guild...lol) and we still did just fine. So just scan the AH everyday for a week, buying up any and all outland Frost Resist leather greens - throw a few +4 resist all gems in some heavy clefthoof and you'll be just fine. Bolgrom Sum durids resist frost dmg

w0rstn4m33v3r
05-15-2008, 06:16 AM
dont forget you can always sub out a helm enchant for the AD 10 frost resist to leg/helm

sevve
05-15-2008, 08:37 AM
For our third Hydross kill, we used our add tank who was a feral druid with step3 nature resistance buffed(219 I believe). We moved him after we hit the 100% mark. He did drop quite fast at times, but that's not a huge problem if you're healers are awake.

omaga
06-03-2008, 08:08 AM
...well i no im not a druid but im a paladin with 275 resistence of each nature and frost and i can single tank hydross and adds ... i think any more restance then that is redundent.

revised.

Kanes Elite Guard
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
...well i no im not a druid but im a paladin with 275 resistence of each nature and frost and i can single tank hydross and adds ... i think any more restance then that is redundent. also hydross dosnt do physcal dmg so if u want to take less dmg get more resist...and staying uncritable...u cant its magic dmg take it like a tank :)

Ok, you are either lying about tanking him, or you stayed uncritable without planning for it. I know which one I'm betting on.

OnourisofRavencrest
06-06-2008, 08:44 PM
@Omaga - "uncritable" is not the same as uncrushable. Hydross can still crit, iirc, just not crush.

omaga
06-09-2008, 09:04 AM
i didnt start tanking him by my self i am an adds tank for hydros, wariors died off i ended up tanking him from 50% on down making the transitions and picking up the adds, now i dont think i maintaned uncritable because i only wear the 3 pieces of epic resist head legs nature and the chest frost, with that i had all the heals and i think 16k raid buffed health so if i had all the ehales dedicatred to me then i could c staying alive, but magic dmg can crit i no but defence rating has nothing to do with spell dmg and hydross does not do white dmg if u can find me some fact that he does dmg that can be mitagated by defence rating then plz by all means but the possibility that it can be done with one tank is all ther granted i probly took alot of dmg. and for wariors that i no of only stack the 3 pieses of epic resist gear, which comes out to 230 with auras so no reason to stack any more then that unless your a guild learning the fight and need a lager comfert zone. on the note of staying "uncrushable" and "uncritable" i understand there not the same and i didnt mean uncrushable. if it was the case that with 490 defence u couldnt be critted by spell dmg...its spell dmg... not on the same table as physcal dmg. if u can find evidince of this plz let me know other then that no worries.

Alent
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Actually, Hydross' damage is Elemental Melee... meaning it's on the base 5.6% melee crit table. Further to confound you, Crit reduction from Defense and Resilience DOES impact spells, however NPCs have no spell crit, only players do.

By the by, tone down the wall of text posts, Omaga, they're difficult to read and believe both.

omaga
06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
[quote=Alent;81019]Actually, Hydross' damage is Elemental Melee... meaning it's on the base 5.6% melee crit table. Further to confound you, Crit reduction from Defense and Resilience DOES impact spells, however NPCs have no spell crit, only players do. quote]

very well still having any more restance then nesssary is unnessary and im sry for the wall o text, ill try to make my posts more readable and to the point.