PDA

View Full Version : About taunt and bosses

Shakazahn
03-21-2008, 10:27 AM
So, I'm not a warrior but I helped a warrior friend of mine gear and learn the tanking basics, and here it is...

I did a few kara with him, and never had any trouble with threat. Now that I'm running with some other tanks and got better gear (I'm a warlock) I'm pulling aggro all the time, even unwanted ones.
I remember reading here that taunt equals the warrior's threat to the highest on the list, and even though raid bosses are immune to the taunt's effect I always told him to taunt the boss whenever I went past him in threat.
Although it pops immune, on my meter (of 4 months ago) and the one I use today (updated) still evens the tank's threat with mine, but I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it seemed to work with that tank friend of mine.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, please be sure / have tested it if you post, because here in the raids I'm doing pretty much EVERYONE says they're sure that taunt doesn't do that (some even doesn't know that it evens the threat) and thus they never taunt a boss. I'm trying to test but no one's willing to wipe on a boss just because of some 'stupid theory' of mine -_-

ebs2002
03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
If a boss is immune to taunt, I'm 99% sure that taunting will have zero effect (ie, it would be just like you never pressed taunt at all). I don't have a scientific test to prove this, but I know that when I'm fighting in Karazhan against taunt-immune mobs, if other people take aggro from me I still instinctively press taunt and nothing happens.

Also, taunt does not equal the warriors threat to the highest on the list. Taunt makes the warriors threat equal to whoever has aggro (barring Mocking Blow and casters who are casting a spell, this would be whoever the mob has targeted at the time). So if you're using a threat meter and telling him to taunt whenever you surpass his threat number but he's still holding aggro, taunt does nothing for him.

Shakazahn
03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Ah yes, sorry, typed it wrong...

One of the issues I'm having mostly is like on Moroes fight or similar, when the OT needs to have 2nd threat... but he never picks it up, and then I say "taunt him" and he says "immune, lol" and usually I'm always 2nd and die on the first blind...

I'd like to know for sure so I stop dying at every single moroes we do -_-

ebs2002
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he's popping taunt and then saying "immune, lol". You just can't tell because, well, he's immune. If you're immune to a taunt, nothing happens, just like if a mob is immune to Frost spells, not only will he not take damage but he also won't be frostbitten.

The tank shouldn't be having these issues on moroes though if you don't touch moroes until after all the adds are down (that you're killing at least)

Blackskull
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Either he needs to learn proper threat rotations or you need to slow down your dps. In either case though, if you are 2nd on threat you are going to die during the stun so it may be advisable to stay 3rd or lower on the threat meter for that fight.

Sandmann
03-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Veneretio has just written a articel about taunt, mockling blow and challenging shout and the mechanic of these spells
Taunt Revisited - Warriors - TankingTips.com (http://www.tankingtips.com/2008/03/20/taunt-revisited)