PDA

View Full Version : Improved Slam for PVP

Kamani
03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
So in my current guild, I have been bouncing back and forth between PvP, DPS and Tank. To minimize respecs I have been using a Hybrid PvP/DPS spec that includes imp Slam.

After doing arenas with it, I've realized it is pretty damn useful there too. Great rage dumb when MS/WW are down. Great burst when used like you would with PVE.

And it is pretty damn nice for switching target suddenly then pulling out white/slam/ms/ww all in a matter of 4.5 seconds. Shocks the hell out of the other team and can often produce too much burst for the healers to react to.

Granted I just hit 70 on this character 2 weeks ago and I didn't PVP on my last warrior. 1500 brackets probably don't tell you much.

So how does improved slam fare in the upper brackets?

Kazaganthi
03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Kam, usually my attack priority is hamstring, ms, sunder. In my mind sunder is a far better rage dump than either ww or slam. There are some warriors who do quite well with imp slam; I have never been a fan though.

Kaz

Kazeyonoma
03-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I'll try to add input. I used to use slam too. and I'll admit, it was very effective at dumping huge amounts of damage. but at higher brackets, and in different set ups (such as druid warrior) it doesn't pay off as much. using sunder as kaz has stated has made a huge difference for me. especially against other warriors, tclap, demo shout (imp 5/5 for me!) and sundering him, versus him just tclapping and regular demo shout, i normally see myself, tearing them open despite being in worse gear and using DT. Slam is sexy, it really is, but at higher brackets, you stance dance a LOT. and when you do that, you never realy have 20 rage to spare.

Take it from someone who used to be imp slam and went to using imp execute instead and prioritizing sunder as a rage dump. I like kaz's advice better. I went from being trapped in the 1600s to getting my s3 sword.

Ukyo
03-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll try to add input. I used to use slam too. and I'll admit, it was very effective at dumping huge amounts of damage. but at higher brackets, and in different set ups (such as druid warrior) it doesn't pay off as much. using sunder as kaz has stated has made a huge difference for me. especially against other warriors, tclap, demo shout (imp 5/5 for me!) and sundering him, versus him just tclapping and regular demo shout, i normally see myself, tearing them open despite being in worse gear and using DT. Slam is sexy, it really is, but at higher brackets, you stance dance a LOT. and when you do that, you never realy have 20 rage to spare.

Take it from someone who used to be imp slam and went to using imp execute instead and prioritizing sunder as a rage dump. I like kaz's advice better. I went from being trapped in the 1600s to getting my s3 sword.

I'd have to agree, i was talking to a friend who also has a warrior and he was telling me that a spec with TM in it is far more viable than the old 33/28 spec for Arena purposes. So i decided to give it a try, and it's actually true. Though i miss using slam when stun procs, or when my target is rooted, for higher brackets, most of the warriors are using 3x/2x/3. If a lot of warriors are using it... must be because it works, right? :P

holliswhy
05-07-2008, 11:56 PM
0.5 sec slam can be game breaking, how can this not being used in end game arena?

Ukyo
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
0.5 sec slam can be game breaking, how can this not being used in end game arena?

in 0.5sec you can get either rooted and your target moves, which interrupts your slam cast with the "too far away" message, or you can get wtfstunned to oblivion in 2's with a decent team (Teams you'll run into a lot in the 18xx bracket)

Kazeyonoma
05-08-2008, 01:46 PM
we're not saying it isn't game breaking, it can be, but the overall effectiveness of it isn't there. The ability to stance dance is crucial, so 3/3 TM becomes more important, and then you have the choice between 2/2 imp execute, 2/2 imp slam, or 2 points elsewhere. Although slam can be good, but I'd rather execute .5 seconds earlier than get off another slam. You simply don't have that kinda rage if you're in higher brackets because people change targets a lot in higher brackets to keep healers from drinking.