PDA

View Full Version : S4 Chest or 2.4 Badge Chest --> Tanking

Trebora
03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Ok so I've been stuck with the [Jade-Skull Breastplate] forever.
By the time S4 starts I'll probably have enough for [Brutal Gladiator's Plate Chestpiece].
I hopefully will also have enought badges for [Chestplate of Stoicism].

Thoughts/suggestion on which chest? I'm an HP junkie but know its not all I need...

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackwater%20Raiders&n=Trebora)

FYI: Basically stuck in Kara and High King ATM... And badges mostly come from Kara...

TomHuxley
03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Looking at your Defense rating it looks like you'll go below 490 (although with the resilience you'll still be uncritable) if you go with S4 chest piece. I'd save up and get the 100 badge 2.4 chestpiece, which will have better tanking stats on it, but that's just me.

Kazeyonoma
03-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I'd go with 2.4 chestpiece as well. season 4 chest isn't for another month or 2, so you'd be waiting too long, and although the hp values will be a bit farther stretched, the defensive stats you get from the 2.4 chest is good enough to make up for a minor loss in hp.

Clifford
03-20-2008, 05:47 AM
The 2.4 chestpiece is awesome and is definitely my first priority. If you have the necessary rating then spend your arena points on a good shield.

Ripper522
03-20-2008, 05:49 AM
I've already got the badges saved for the chest, hopefully my server can bust out the necessary dailies to get the armory unlocked quickly.

veneretio
03-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Some food for thought...

The Arena chest not only has superior Stamina, but also more Armor and will contribute more to threat. Furthermore, the badge items if I recall aren't released with 2.4 immediately, you'll have to unlock them via building the town. This may make it so that the S4 release is actually pretty close to the time that 2.4 badge items are active.

Regardless, I think it's a safe bet to save some badges up and just make the best decision when it's available rather than worrying about something that's weeks or likely months away.

Henki
03-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi Trebora,
You seem to be geared well enough for Kara, you are probably sailing through it. I wish you will get your T4 shoulders from Maulgar. You probably just need a little push to be geared enough for Gruul (I consider myself borderline for him). Sadly enough he drops the shield you should get, but to get it you might need a better one than the crest… If Nightbane is not generous enough to give you a new chest and a new board, you might have to use your badges / Arena points.

Personally I never regretted buying the S3 chest, and the side advantage is that you’ll use it to grind more Arena points. Don’t worry about going under 490 Def as long as you stay uncritable due to your resilience / def combo. Use the calculator from the TankPoint addon to find the right gear match to stay uncritable.

In short, if you need better aggro and more HP NOW to progress further, I’d go S3. Its pretty clear you should save your badges for the 2.4 chest and not wait for the S4 one. If you can afford waiting a couple more try on Nightbane, hope for the chest and get the S2 shield. From what I’ve heard you will use it all the way into BT/ Hyjal. I will personally wait for the S2 shield to be put in the Honor system (because I don’t do enough Arena anymore…) when S4 kick in, my gear is not slowing our progression for the moment since I’m just the Offtank.

Godd luck, but more important, good loots!

Colon
03-20-2008, 03:45 PM
I've already got the badges saved for the chest, hopefully my server can bust out the necessary dailies to get the armory unlocked quickly.

Last I remember from the patch notes is that they did away with the town being built via daily quest completion and that instead it will open up at the same point in time over the course of a few weeks maybe months on each server. This was to avoid low population servers from struggling to ever open up the town by relying on it's players. Kind of sad as the idea was pretty good and went back to the old AQ event days, but alas pre-bc ideas apparently are not popular anymore.

I'm not 100% sure on this as things seemed to change on the ptr daily.

Salvaticus
03-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Last I remember from the patch notes is that they did away with the town being built via daily quest completion and that instead it will open up at the same point in time over the course of a few weeks maybe months on each server...

You're thinking of this (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4976251142&postId=51032488283&sid=1#280) post saying that the 3 gates blocking access to the final 3 bosses in the Sunwell Plateau will no longer be quest based but time based. The same post says that taking back the town is still based on daily quest completion.

Colon
03-21-2008, 09:24 PM
You're thinking of this (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4976251142&postId=51032488283&sid=1#280) post saying that the 3 gates blocking access to the final 3 bosses in the Sunwell Plateau will no longer be quest based but time based. The same post says that taking back the town is still based on daily quest completion.

Thank you for the correction, hate to spread misinformation.

Grabmill
03-26-2008, 05:55 AM
A little bit off-topic, but I'm in doubt if I will buy the 2.4 chest as well. At the moment I've got the Ancient Bulwark of Kings. I will loose quite some threat generation, but on the other hand, I will get some back from the 2.4 belt.

Blademoun
03-26-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm in the same boat there Grabmill and precisely what I was planning to do. Upgrade to the chest and grab the 2.4 belt to off-set the threat generation loss.

ebs2002
03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Rebuilding the town won't take too long, for the record. Our server was at 33% to Phase 2 at midnight of the first day.

Granted, EVERYBODY did the dailys and I'm sure less will today and tomorrow, but it still won't be anywhere near when Season4 is live. I'd guess that by this time next week, most servers should have badge gear available.