PDA

View Full Version : Opinions On Spec w/ Axe

Karza
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I have recently gotten back into WoW after about a year break as some friends have started playing again. I am fairly casual from a play-time perspective but hardcore from an approach perspective. I have always been Axe spec as, when I originally played, that was the optimal PvP spec of choice due to the plus to critical strike. As I was gearing myself I naturally got the S1 Two handed Axe only to be introduced to the resilience system which was not in place when I played last. Given that I am still getting myself geared and don't have access to raids, the decision to spend honor on switching weapons at this stage is a waste and I will have to delay the decision when I have enough Arena points for the S3 (or S4 depending on the switch) weapon at that time.

So, I'm Axe spec for at least a while. I am hoping to make the most of this this given I play in a very DPS heavy 3v3 team. (Mage/Priest/Warrior) My thoughts are, to overcome the loss in DPS due to resilience, make up for it with skill (practice, practice, practice), teamwork and a very burst heavy talent tree. So, I would like opinions on the following:

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?0500502134201502000100005050104025012 05000000000000000000000000000#none)

To me, this would maximize the Axe Spec and help make up for the loss of DPS until an opportunity to revist the weapon of choice arises down the road. Opinions?

Kazeyonoma
03-17-2008, 05:50 PM
well, in all honesty, with the resilience levels they are, you absolutely need to grab a new weapon soon, wether it be from weaponsmith crafting, or picking up s1 with honor, in the meantime though, since i understand your time constraints. I would invest all my honor into picking up s3 vindicators offset gear. and do arenas every week, just trying your best, and saving up points, upgrading everything to s3 as soon as possible. ONe thing to understand though is that season 3 weapons require a certain team AND personal rating to be at (1850) in order to buy the item. If you can't realistically attain such a rating, I'd suggest you save your points and buy a season 2 mace or sword. Since you're burst heavy swords really looks tempting.

as for the spec:

I understand you want the burst of 5/5 flurry but your survival is equally if not more important. Dying fast will get you no where if you can't utilize your 5/5 flurry. I'd suggest going 33/28, and pick up 2/2 second wind. it really does heal for a lot, and will proc off of frostbite from mages, or ice trap from hunters, so it goes off A LOT. And i assume it'll be 5/5 axe spec not mace spec, since you are using an axe for now.I don't know if i agree with no points in improved hamstring but that's your call.
WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?0500502134251002000120005500131025012 03000000000000000000000000000)

is what I would recommend. Blood craze is quite useful, and the bonus from 4/5 isn't as much as you'd expect in burst situations, and in all honesty, your shouts drop off of you a lot and I have a tendency to forget to rebuff them when i'm fighting for rage/kills. If you are good at timing slam, I suggest dropping 2/2 execute and get 2/2 imp slam, its REALLY good if you know how to use it. you still get 3/5 flurry, good enough to do good damage, and you get the survivability of second wind.

Ceravantes
03-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Flurry is much less effective than it used to be as well, with resilience where its at now

Karza
03-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback and I agree that the addition of Second Wind at the cost of the 10% speed increase is worth it. That was the one element I really did not want to give up and was hoping to see some feedback one way or another. Also agree on the Hamstring as I thought my build included it but must have missed that element.

One additional question, what is considered a fair price for Deep Thunder?

http://thottbot.com/i28441 (Deep Thunder)

That might be a viable replacement option if I can find a Macesmith or one on the AH.

Beckbristow
03-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Deep Thunder and it's subsequent upgrades are BoP Blacksmithing Master Hammersmith only items. It will cost whatever it takes you to level up Blacksmithing and obtain the mats.

Edit: BTW your link is broken.

Karza
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Oy vey! Didn't notice it was BOP! Ah well, so much for plan B! :D

Tonk
04-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Personally I am thorn with which to go with on my Orc warrior when he gets to 70. I do not plan to do arenas in the begining to be honest. I like BGs playstyle more than Arenas (for now). I have talked to a lot of warriors and the general consensus I hear is that Axes are not really worth it. Although, for BGs (from horde perspective) alliance players tend to have less resilience than Horde due to taking 3Xtime to aquire PVP sets (horde wins 80% of all BGs on Terenas). So it may still be viable. I do not know anymore, lol. Hence my dilemma. Is the Orc racial really that good to pick a weapon that will lose some efficiency if I choose to do Arenas?

I also concluded from many discussions that Swords are great for bigger groups fights (5v5 and BGs) and Maces for smaller group fights (2v2 & 3v3). Does that seem right?

Ceravantes
04-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Maces or swords in pvp is a preference thing, the argument could go back and forth all day long. Axes, however, are sub par to both the alternatives.