PDA

View Full Version : Brutalizer V Cleaver of the Unforgiving

Nrred
03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I am the second warrior MT in the guild and usually fill in when the GM/MT is not tanking or already has the necessary loot.
I just got the Cleaver of Zul'jin on a ZA run that i host bi weekly outside of our regular raid. We currently clear 4/9 BT and if the Brutalizer drops I will have to spend a massive amount of DKP to get it.

Cleaver of the Unforgiving - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33476) or The Brutalizer - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32254)

Both pieces are beneficial to me as an orc, and I understand that the Brutalizer is probably the better threat generator because expertise > +HIT but I have never had threat issues (primarily because i use a speedpad to tank), so the question becomes; is parry better than expertise? or should i spend the DKP to get the brutalizer...will i be using it over this weapon?

veneretio
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Something you may not have considered:
19.7 Defense Rating = 1% Avoidance
23.65 Parry Rating = 1% Avoidance

So The Brutalizer has more avoidance and more threat making it far, far better. Not to mention just b/c you haven't "had an issue" with threat doesn't mean your DPSers couldn't go even harder if you had more threat.

Wrath
03-18-2008, 03:29 AM
yap as veneretio allready said...Brutalizer is far better then the cleaver overall, the cleaver still is one of the best tank weapons ;-)

So you would improve your threat-gen and gain a bit avoidance - but if you have to spend to much dkp, i maybe would pass he first one and wait for a second drop.

Our sec. Mt and me said that we will roll for the first 141 ilvl weapon (we both used zj´s cleaver) so i got Brutalizer with a nice 98 roll, and our sec mt got UW on the next Anetheron kill...

sevve
03-18-2008, 03:53 AM
While we're at it:
Cleaver of the Unforgiving vs Mallet of the tides
Opinions?

Nrred
03-18-2008, 06:57 AM
22 def = ~1% avoidance, but not close to the amount of parry which scales threat too. I think it may tip the scales a bit.

byechee
03-18-2008, 09:43 AM
threat increase from expertise FAR outclasses everything else until you're soft-capped on it, and on bosses with the stupid parry mechanic it can be a life saver too.

cleaver is just bad if you have access to mallet or brutalizer.

Eetabeetay
03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
I ran the numbers back when 2.3 was on ptr, and while i dont remember the stat differences, i do remember that mallet was better for all races except orc

Taelas
03-18-2008, 10:01 AM
threat increase from expertise FAR outclasses everything else until you're soft-capped on it, and on bosses with the stupid parry mechanic it can be a life saver too.

cleaver is just bad if you have access to mallet or brutalizer.

The Cleaver outclasses the Mallet for an orc.

byechee
03-18-2008, 11:48 AM
The Cleaver outclasses the Mallet for an orc.

sorry, i didn't make that distinction because i figured that if you were gonna use an ax you would just use brut, but i forgot not everyone has access to it.

Malignus
03-18-2008, 02:58 PM
I am the second warrior MT in the guild and usually fill in when the GM/MT is not tanking or already has the necessary loot.
I just got the Cleaver of Zul'jin on a ZA run that i host bi weekly outside of our regular raid. We currently clear 4/9 BT and if the Brutalizer drops I will have to spend a massive amount of DKP to get it.

Cleaver of the Unforgiving - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33476) or The Brutalizer - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32254)

Both pieces are beneficial to me as an orc, and I understand that the Brutalizer is probably the better threat generator because expertise > +HIT but I have never had threat issues (primarily because i use a speedpad to tank), so the question becomes; is parry better than expertise? or should i spend the DKP to get the brutalizer...will i be using it over this weapon?
Not only is the Brutalizer better as a standalone weapon, but since you're an orc, you get an additional 5 points of expertise on top of what the weapon comes with. This allows you to sub in a different item in your gloves/neck/wrist slot where you'd normally want another piece with expertise on it.