PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Phalanx Vs Determination

Optimoos
03-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Alright, here's another "this gear vs that gear" thread.

I've had the Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx for a long time now, and finally after passing on the Wristguards of Determination to anyone else who wanted them, picked them up of VR last night. Now, Berg has the Wristguards ranked much higher, and I can see where the dodge and shield block are very beneficial, but at the cost of 22 expertise?

I may be paranoid about this because my "main" is a hunter where my hit is capped thus I cringe every time I miss, or have my attack dodge or parried - I just plain don't like seeing it, but maybe it's something I have to live with as a tank where hit gear is sparse.

I guess the other thing to factor in is that when 2.4 comes out, there is a glut of new badge gear with expertise, where I may be able to more reasonably drop the bracers and pick up expertise elsewhere.

For the pros out there, what are your thoughts?

Nrred
03-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I carry both in my bags but i find myself wearing the Wristguards of determination through T5 content to MT until you can pick up the Eternium Shell Bracers of Naj'entus. I think the equip value of the the wristguards of determination far outweigh the Ancient Phlanx for many fights.

EDIT: I wear the Ancient Phlanx as added threat generating piece; great for fights like VR, or picking up birds on Al'ar.

Satrina
03-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I wore the Phalanx bracers far more than the Wristguards. Now that I have Eternium Shell, I wear them for progression bosses but still Phalanx most of the time.

Kavtor
03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I only wear Determination when I'm not worried about hated parrys. Mother Shaz and Akama Defenders.

Dodge is nice, but parry gibs are just bad. Expertise is a unique defensive stat that cuts down the burst damage you take.

MasterWolf
03-18-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't think Berg factors in Expertise or Hit Rating into his "point" rankings. I think his rankings are based on EH only.

Ceravantes
03-18-2008, 08:09 AM
His rankings are not based off of EH at all, theya re based off of TP. He does however mention at the top of each section the "best" peice, and it doesnt always mean the top ranked is it.

Marrick
03-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Berg's guide isn't saying wristguards are "better", but "better from a purely defensive standpoint." Basically all his guide says is that defensively 8 Stam < 1 def + 19 dodge + 13 SBR. Tankpoints -only- takes into account defensive stats. Expertise, while it does have the ability to reduce being parry gibbed, isn't a directly defensive stat and so has no tankpoints value.

I have phalanx and would wear them over wristguards if I had them for the threat generation.

MasterWolf
03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, I know. But TP and EH are similar, except the former also includes avoidance. Nonetheless, my point is still valid, Berg doesn't count Expertise in his rankings.

Berginyon
03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I wear Phalanx and passed on Determination. I'm a night elf and Expertise is harder to come by compared to Human tanks. But... in 2.4 when expertise is much more abundant, I'll wish I would have taken them.

Malignus
03-18-2008, 02:55 PM
If fight=threat sensitive(yes) or farm mode(yes)
Then player.bracers = Phalanx
else
player.bracers=Determination/Eternium

Nuberino
03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
With the new readily available expertise legs and waist incoming I would assume it will be easier to justify moving to more defensive wrists.

Grabmill
03-26-2008, 06:21 AM
The only situation where I would wear Determination would be in a passive-crush environment. For all other situations, I think Phalanx is clearly better.

And for the people that think they don't need the expertise anymore after 2.4: you're wrong imho. Parry chances of bosses are >> 5.6%.