PDA

View Full Version : ZA Without 25-Man Gear?

ebs2002
03-14-2008, 12:22 PM
So this has been a topic of discussion in my guild for a while. We are a small guild of RL friends, who can field anywhere between 10-15 level 70s online at any given time. We've been farming Kara for a few months now, to the point where our frequent raiders are all but done with the loot from there, save the odd drop or two that doesn't seem to come (we've only seen one Moroes trinket, our Shadow Priest still wants Prince's dagger, etc). We mostly go now to run through peoples alts, for the shot at those rare drops, and for the folks who haven't made every single raid.

Our A-squad looks something like this:
1 Feral Druid, decked out in full badge/kara gear for both Kitty and Bear form
1 Prot Warrior (me)..I'm in PVP gear/spec right now, but I'm over 16k armor and 15k hp unbuffed
4 Healers (one of each class). The priest sometimes goes shadow, the tree sometimes goes boomkin
1 Rogue
1 Warlock
Lots of mages. Lots and lots of mages.
1 Hunter

We also have a handful of other DPS slots that aren't geared as well as the previous group.

Most of our group has filled out the non-kara slots with PvP and Badge gear, and we DE 75% of our Kara drops each week.

My question is: is it feasible for a group that has never seen Gruul/Magtheridon to be successful in ZA? I think it is, some agree with me; others insist that without having 25man drops we're doomed to fail.

Devarin
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes. As long as your tanks are geared up in all/most kara gear (and the MT is built for EH with some avoidance built in) and your healers have decent +healing and can coordinate between main tank healing and raid healing well, you'll be fine. We've finished ZA and I only have my T5 from VR (as well as the badge equipment). Also, bringing two mages with you will make your life so much easier in the beginning for the sheep CC on the flame casters on the bear, dragonhawk, and lynx trash as well as for AoE for the eagle gauntlet and dragonhawk boss.

Dev

MasterWolf
03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I have 1 piece of T4, 0 pieces of T5, and 0 pieces of T6. Yet, the group I MT has no problem downing the first 4 bosses of ZA (usually 1-shot), and we've only tried Hex Lord twice without reading up on the strat. Hope to down him this weekend.

The GL of my guild has taken his group of Kara/geared people through ZA multiple times, killing everything. So the answer is definately yes.

The factor that pushes you over the "hump" is badge gear. If your group has some badge gear mixed in, realize that the gear is basically like SSC/TK gear anyway.

Derrick
03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Absolutely. Yes. Especially assuming you've all been picking up a few badge items on the way. Be ready for a bit of a shock since you will suddenly be required to closely coordinate healing, and may need to dip a bit more heavily into a few consumables, things Karazhan never required of you. But I assume you're all up for a challenge. WoW's appears to be designed to support a smooth 10-man raid progression. Sometimes it sounds preferable to play that game and forget about expanding to handle 25-mans altogether. It's a game I wish had been there at 60 when we were still small.

Sydal
03-14-2008, 02:38 PM
2 tanks with 15k HP unbuffed, 3 healers, a shadow priest, and some sort of AOE? You're fine. I have absolutely no 25man gear beyond the shoulders from Maulgar (and they're quite comparable to the shoulders from Netherspite, tbh) and I've successfully tanked the first 4 bosses with relative ease. Just know that ZA seems very healer-intensive. If your healers are good, you should be fine.

MasterWolf
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
And Mages are like cheat codes.

ebs2002
03-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've linked this post in my guild's forums so the naysayers have more of a reason to believe me and actually show up for these raids.

Hanoumatoi
03-14-2008, 05:12 PM
My gear came entirely from the first half of Kara (nothing past Curator) and badges of justice. I have successfully tanked all the animal bosses. You can definitely do it with everyone having full Kara gear. It may take some progression, gearing people up with Eagle and Bear and timed loots for a bit, but it's definitely possible.

Good luck

Methadone
03-15-2008, 01:33 AM
You should easily be able to have a poke at the first few bosses. Your tank combo sounds perfect for all bosses.

You'll need 3 well geared healers and 2 tanks, don't stress too much over the timer, you'll get the first boss down, perhaps second within the timer for some additional loot but theres no way to get all 4 without a T6 geared tank, 2x T6 geared healers and some t6 dps.