PDA

View Full Version : Too much EH/Stamina?

Mornak
03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm in a guild that is in the middle of SSC and TK. The MT says he has a "threat build" to grab aggro and stay ahead of the dps classes in our raid. Other tanks seem to mix in a bit of avoidance with stamina. I've tried to build a set focused on EH and Stamina, or at least what I've read and hope that I should be shooting for. Take a look at my gear here (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Mornak). My hp, armor, and block stats look pretty good, imo, but my dodge and parry are pretty low. I'm usually 2000-3000 hp above the other tanks in the guild, and my armor is usually comparable or usually higher too. I'm hoping for a little insight as to whether I should continue to build by socketing Solid Star of Elunes (+12 stam) or if I should try to toss in a bit more avoidance. When does a stamina build need to pick up a little more avoidance, if ever? I have some duplicate pieces of Kara gear, one gemmed with stamina and the other for avoidance and/or set bonuses.

I usually roll my eyes a bit when I see a "How's my gear" thread, and now I'm doing the same thing, lol. Anyway, any suggestions and tips on my gear and set up are appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Kazeyonoma
03-12-2008, 09:21 AM
you'll probably never need to "gem" for avoidance. but rather wear pieces of avoidance gear, that you can swap in and out for certain fights. I don't see a problem with getting more armor/stamina ever, but sometimes if you're healers are running oom, or you think for a certain fight, dodging a few more times might save you rather than say...200 more hp, then maybe swap out a stam trinket or the autoblocker trinket with moroes, that kinda thing. small changes, not, regemming your whole outfit.

Mornak
03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
I think a big part of it is knowing when to switch to different pieces. I have gear that can put my dodge up to 34% or so, block up to about 45%. Like others here, I've really tried to do my research and get the best gear I can for where I'm at. While raiding Gruul, Mag, SSC, and TK, I still haven't gotten loot from there. I'm still waiting for King's Defender from Kara. The gear in my Armory link is my main set. I might switch pieces out for trash, aoe pulls, faster hitting bosses, resist gear, etc. I look at other tanks and have to wonder why they gear the way they do, though I rarely if ever ask them. I see tanks in MtH and BT that stack defense (560+) and dodge/avoidance, and have 3000 less hp and lower armor than me. Somehow, it's worked for them, as they are further in progression than I am now or may ever be.

Grakzul Slaughtbringer
03-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I agree with Kazeyonoma. Don't gem for advoidance, because it will come naturally with your new gear.
I am currently in the end of SSC and middle of TK, and I stack EH for the new fights or magical dps encounters for example. My advoidance stats are quite low too, don't forget your Grace of Air totems and other buffs of course.

Personnally, I gem advoidance on advoidance items. For example I looted the T5 shoulders one week ago; this item has mitigation stats whereas the T4 shoulder has advoidance stats (dodge). So I put dodge gems on the T4 and STA gems on the T5.
Think about how the item should be used. Is it for EH, advoidance, threat? After that put the rights gems: dodge gems for advoidance items, 12sta for EH/mitigation items, and hit/crit/agi for threat.

kevinb70
03-12-2008, 12:13 PM
we now have guildies who now have picked up full T5 and it seems my future is threat in order to keep up: expertise, hit, sbv unless something is oddly different in MH/BT

I was once a stam stacker but on many fights I will drop them for a piece that will get me more threat so DPS wont have to hold back... we just got WWS up over a month ago and I was horrified at my 20-22% miss rate on specials... now it is abotu 9%

Malignus
03-12-2008, 01:44 PM
15.8k HP with 16.5k armor is the kind of EH you would expect out of full T5 tanks just starting T6 content. As far as your question goes, there is no such thing as TOO MUCH effective health.

As far as a general rule of thumb goes is look at the worst case scenario:
- Can you take 3 hits or 2 crushing blows back to back and survive?
- If the answer is yes, then you have enough EH for the fight.

What should you stack from there?
I recommend threat stats (+hit, SBV, expertise, etc.). This can be achieved through simply swapping out rings/cloaks/trinkets/ranged weapon. Remember, it can cost you upwards of 80g to swap out a single gem slot for an encounter. Swapping the other items is free. Keeping that in mind, continue gemming for EH, with a few exceptions where you may want to add in a +hit gem or two.

Mornak
03-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the replies so far all.

Malignus, your response brings up what I was trying to figure out. Since I am doing T5 content, and don't even have full T4 gear, I wondered how missing avoidance stats from those T4/T5 pieces would affect everything else. I feel that my EH is about as good as I can get right now, for the current gear I have. I wondered though if gemming for stamina only and almost completely ignoring avoidance gems would be a bad decision with that present gear. I think that's been answered though. Just a clarification of what I was originally asking about. :)

Tank
03-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I m still having a hard time with Morogrim Tidewalker on this gear The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Tank)

Is it me or the healing?

I have flask of fort and stoneshield potion throughout the fight.

I m preparing Ironshield for next fight.

nobel
03-12-2008, 09:20 PM
your gear looks more then fine for mogrim. I actually stack avoidance on fights like him. Do you find you are dying when healers are tombed??.. could be the link to your problem