PDA

View Full Version : Aggro, Range, and Murlocs

dres
03-11-2008, 03:36 PM
In general we say "if you are in melee range you need to generate 110% of the threat being generated by the first person on the mob's threat list in order to take aggro, if you are at range that number becomes 130%."

Now, I would like to use the following hypothetical situation in order to get a clearer understanding of how aggro, threat, and range work. Player 1 has aggro on a Mob that is at range from him. If Player 2 would like to take aggro from said Mob as quickly as possibly, ie. pass the 110% threshold, does he need to move towards Player 1 or the Mob? Basically, what I'm asking is, is the distance variable in the aggro/range equation in relation to the Mob or the Player that is #1 on it's threat list?

I know what the real world answer is, "...just run up to the mob and taunt him." But I'm asking about this with regards to the Morogrim Tidewalker encounter. My guild has killed Tidewalker on previous occasions but we continue to have difficulties with this encounter.

After Morogrim creates an Earthquake, murlocs are spawned at the ends of the two opposite hallways. The murlocs are aggro'd by the healing threat generated by the healers. In the past we would send paladins to intercept the murlocs, grab and hold aggro on them, and bring them to our designated AoE location. So bringing us back to my hypothetical situation, when these paladins intercept the murloc packs at a distance from the healers, are they trying to surpass 110% threat because they are in melee with the murlocs? Or are they trying to surpass 130% because they are at range from the healers, who currently have aggro on the murlocs?

I'm not interested in different strategies or possible raid make-ups. I can think of several ways to better do this encounter. As a tank, I just want to have a clearer understanding of how Aggro, Threat, and Range work in relation to each other, the players, and the mob/s in question.

Nuberino
03-11-2008, 04:15 PM
As soon as the tank gets into melee range they only need to do 110% of the agro of whomever has agro to pull agro.

Rotton
03-12-2008, 12:04 AM
I think the answer he is looking for is the mob is the target of aggro. If you are within melee range of the mob with 110% of whoever has aggro no matter where they are, you will get said aggro.

Blackskull
03-12-2008, 10:01 AM
A prot pally with righteous fury, spam healing a lifetapping warlock, while outside of watery grave range can trivialize the murlocks as long as they hold off on healing the raid till after the prot pally has the murlocks.