PDA

View Full Version : One of a thousand

Angwel
03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi there, I'm sure this has been asked before and will be asked again but... well here goes.

Ive just hit 70 my guild will babysit me through a few kara runs but I am working on being able to MT kara. Currently my gear isnt bad but what I'm looking for are what the best upgrades for me would be. Be it badges, heroics, or kara I want to know what I should concentrate on replaceing first and foremost.

That being said, please keep in mind that the only places I have access to with my warrior are heroics and kara. Im find with rep grind rewards as well.

Also feel free to mock my gear choices and talent spec as much as you want ^.^ I just ask that when you do you give a reason. Im new to tanking and wont be upset by the critisizim but would like to improve.

Thank you in advance.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silver+Hand&n=Frodio)

Rinsterber
03-11-2008, 03:15 AM
http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/gear-lists-rankings/32083-berg-s-tank-gear-rankings-02-22-2008-wow-2-4-a.html

This lists everything you are looking for and tells you where you can get it.

Wrath
03-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Your Gear looks allright for a pre kara tank...

Sockets are ok as long as the items are rares (epics i would go for 12 stamina gems of course) i think i would relace the strength gems with stamina, even you would lose the bonuses (which arent that good)

Personally i would change your specc a bit - get rid of angermanagement, go for 5/5 Deflection, 5% parry via talent is a musthave imho...
Then you could try to drop tactical mastery, and maybe just 1/3 imp HS - and pimp your overall threatgen. via 5/5 cruelty.

I dont know how your guild or raid allready progressed in Kara - if youre just starting, you could grind some Sha'tar rep for the Crest of the Sha'tar aslong as you dont have acces to nightbanes shield - put 2x 12 stamina gems in and enchant it with 18 stamina and youre done for a while.

Arrivan
03-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Nightbane drops a shield that doesn't have spell damage on it? News to me. I swear I'm the only warrior in the guild without it.

Yes, I am hijacking this thread to QQ about not having his shield. Crest of the Sha'tar may have to carry you a long way if you don't get a PVP shield and you get unlucky. The season 1 shield is a good investment if you can tolerate PVP long enough to get it.

Given that you're at the "magical" 12k/12k/490 mark, your upgrades will come from Kara or heroic badges. I highly recommend Brooch of Deftness but you're still at the stage of gear where you don't really need it, so Unwavering Legguards would probably be your biggest upgrade.

Angwel
03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Firstly, Thank you.

Rinsterber: I have looked at ber's guide but most of what I saw there was a little to big for me to get my warrior into. My guild is not raiding anything other then Kara and ZA and My warrior is not going to get into ZA for a while >.<

Wrath: TM is planned to be dropped I just havent gotten my lazy arse in to respec yet. That being said I will be going 5/5 deflection, But I was thinking 2/2 Imp bloodrage. Currently I have anger management due to the fact that sometimes im an off off tank and am a little rage starved. If I move up to a more direct role I'll try your setup with malice and seeing if that helps :)

Arrivan: >.< That shield has never dropped for us. We can do nightbane but he seems intent on not letting us get that shield. that being said it most likely will be some time be for MY warrior will see it. (I dont have to pass on things because im an alt but theres no way im taking premium gear before our real tanks) Legs are a great idea as is the neck would you suggest them over the Badge bracers to start?

Signu
03-11-2008, 10:36 AM
But have you looked at http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/gear-lists-rankings/31940-polar-s-easy-pre-karazha-tank-gear-list.html

In either case, I disagree about the legs. It wont be long until you get to Curator and he drops legs that can hold you until T5.

IMO, you should get the best tanking cloak in the game for only 35 badges Slikk's Cloak of Placation.

hbombs
03-11-2008, 12:09 PM
legs first they are wayyyy better then curators. then get cloak and girdle imo.

ebs2002
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
It depends on your badge income. If you have a high income (full clear in Kara, doing dailys, etc) then legs first are your best bet. See Venerito's (I'm sure I butchered his name) Badge of Justice pick order on TankingTips.com - A guide to tanking as a Warrior in World of Warcraft (http://www.tankingtips.com)

If you're looking for quicker upgrades that will still be a big benefit, I would say that cloak and bracer are the best way to go. Cloak is the best EH cloak in the game, and bracer is far better than attumen's. After that, I'd go belt and legs if you're looking for more armor/hp, or brooch/autoblocker if you feel like your threat is low.

For specs at the Kara level, my favorite is 11/7/43 -- Imp HS 2/3, Imp TC 3/3, Deflection and Anger Management; Cruelty and Imp Demo Shout 2/5; then fill out the cookie-cutter protection tree with 1/2 Imp Bloodrage. If you're having trouble with the damage you're taking on trash, you can consider Imp Revenge 3/3 in place of Anger Management and Imp Demo Shout, but that will hurt your rage generation (it's useful if you're going to be grinding heroics, though).

Tatt
03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
All I can say is get your armor and stam up. I know lots of old pro's say 12/12 is fine to start kara, but I think you are a liability tanking at that level, requiring much more healing than you should. I didn't step foot into kara till I was 15/15. They can scream welfare epics if they want to, but do BG's and dailies to get the honor for the S1 shield, shoulders, and possibly chest, depending on how long till you see nightbane regularly. All 3 pieces would be huge armor upgrades, and gemmed correctly stam upgrades as well. Go for at least 1 stam trinket, darkmoon cards (lunacy/fury) or one of the engineering trinkets (how do you have no professions?) or argussian compass from heroic UB or Arcane thing from downing prince in kara. I like badge egar as much as the next guy but sometimes it felt like I could upgrade much faster if I was working all 3 angles (PVP/Drops/Badges). The faster You improve your stam/health the quicker your guild will let you start trying ZA and MTing things like kara.

ebs2002
03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I agree with Tattman's overall point: work multiple angles at once. I made sure that when I was doing a heroic, I had at least two reasons to be there:
1) It was the daily. Two extra badges makes it worth it
2) I needed the rep. For me, this was Thrallmar for the axe, Sha'tar for the shield, Lower City for the expertise ring, and when I wasn't yet revered with CE/KoT those as well
3) Drops. For me, this was Blood Furnace for the boots, Ramparts for the belt, Mechanar for the Sun Eater, Sethekk Halls for the shoulders....

I would always try to do those heroics first...if I wasn't having any luck getting groups for those, I'd farm gold/mats for the tradeskilled gear, or pvp for whatever I felt I needed from pvping (mainly dps upgrades for shade).

You have similar gear compared to what I had when I was starting Karazhan, but the key word is "starting". At that gear level, Illhoof/Prince/Nightbane/Netherspite will be quite tough...doable, but quite tough.

As to your original question about what you should upgrade first and foremost:
Badges: I'd say bracer for a large amount of bang for your buck, or legs if you're willing to save up 75
Farming: Get someone to make you a Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer. You can farm most of the difficult mats, and buy the Khorium off the AH
Drops: any of the heroics that drop tanking plate that you don't currently have an epic for. It really doesn't matter which, just that the heroic you're doing has a potential drop for you.

Tristessa
03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I got the Badge chest and legs because I know it'll take a long time for me to ever expect them to drop from Curator and Nightbane.

>.<

On a side note, the badge Neck and Wrist solved my threat-related issues and lets any group I tank for go hard on DPS.

Veneretio's blog post (http://www.tankingtips.com/2007/12/30/23-update-the-new-badge-of-justice-pick-order/) pretty much hit the nail in the head where warrior BoJ spending is concerned IMO.

Angwel
03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow so much help !!!

Signu: Hehe Check my gear against what polar has listed you might find a few similiarites (I used him as a guide to get to this point)

hbombs: Im a bit badge starved honestly (I have 2 other 70's that I tend to run more in heroics) and curator lewt is easy for me to come by. So if I can get 2 decent upgrades for the price of one good one that is on par with a drop then I'll prolly go that way.

ebs2002: Great advice. Thank you I missed the badge loot guide. Hrm Ive looked at an 11/7/43 spec before I may have to run over to wowhead and look at it again. And I think I could prolly get a destroyer pretty easy.

Tattman2an: Again great advice. I do see nightbane regulary I just wont be getting tank drops from him for a while. :( Your right I do need to look more heavily into heroic drops and work both drop/badge angles. Sadly my pvp skills are..... well lets say somewhat lacking. I have 3 lvl 70's and I think I have under 1k lifetime HK's all combined >.< Also, I am working on gettin my stam/ armor up as much as poss. Honestly I will prolly only MT in kara on clean up nights (we run 2 nights at 2 hours each night so normally the second night is just to clean up the eisier bosses like attu and maiden.) So im not so much a liability just yet.

Tristessa: Seems like most of you are saying wrists are a good start and at 35 badges not too bad to get. Perhaps ill start there but only after reading veneretio's post again thank you for pointing it out i must have missed it.