PDA

View Full Version : The poor man's fury build

Kream
03-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I've been thinking about this spec as a starter raid spec. If you are beginning to raid you will generally be lacking on stats and this build would seem to produce good results.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LV0IzAiZVf0V0gRVu)

It's a 2-handed Fury build that picks up a weapon spec. Compare this to a 44/17 DW Fury build:

Pros:
+5% 2-handed damage
Using Slam instead of HS for a rage dump with no bonus threat
+5% crit
No need to stack hit rating beyond 95

Cons:
+10% threat (how much does this matter if you are putting out low dps?)
-10% AP
No rampage

Execute range would be interesting. Perhaps a quick axe matched with a shield would produce enough rage to use execute every GCD without paying the DW miss penalty.

This idea is somewhat half baked, but I think I have something here. Any thoughts?

fastidius
03-10-2008, 07:23 PM
OK revisited this post because i think i understand it more now i've thought about it...

I don't think you should try and cater for lack of gear with a spec change. a 2 hander with any talents isn't going to make up for a lack of DPS. your DPS will suffer in other ways. You Gain some damage and Hit from that Spec but you lose AP which probably is more damage than you gain, Flurry is bugged so your not going to get a full gain from this either so i'd say go either Full MS or Full Fury until 2.4 then you may find more playavbility in hybrid flurry builds

Ukyo
03-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd say a 33/28 with Blood Frenzy would make more dps as that spec, and you can bring a melee bonus for your rogues <3

Kream
03-12-2008, 01:09 AM
I'd say a 33/28 with Blood Frenzy would make more dps as that spec, and you can bring a melee bonus for your rogues <3

33/28 lacks 2 points in flurry and 3% hit (47 hit rating). I don't see how it would out perform 2-hand fury, especially considering that you can devote that 47 hit rating to str.

Trū
03-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Read Fastidious' post about again and about how Flurry is bugged. I can't find the article right now, but the essence is you're not getting your points' worth in flurry.

Asheowyn
03-12-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm tempted to try a Fury + Arms spec myself; picking swordspec in my case.
I basically have full s1 gladiator gear with s2 shoulders and s1 swords. Had guildies donate a Red belt of Battle but gemming has been weird since I was using some dps kit to tank with aswell (have been prot for the past 2 months basically).

Kream
03-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Read Fastidious' post about again and about how Flurry is bugged. I can't find the article right now, but the essence is you're not getting your points' worth in flurry.

I can't find this article. From my understanding there is only 1 bug for Flurry right now.. that offhand WW crits don't proc it. This wouldn't affect 2hand Fury in the slightest.

fastidius
03-12-2008, 06:13 PM
it's not refreshing on last charge either. 2.4 is in downloads now tho so it's only 5 days away.

Ukyo
03-12-2008, 08:59 PM
it's not refreshing on last charge either. 2.4 is in downloads now tho so it's only 5 days away.

I wouldn't count on it, it was 2 weeks after the 2.3 went on the launcher's download and then it went live.

33/28 works better on a newbie raid aspect as the spec that you made since you don't really need precision for 2h and you don't get much of the perks of the Fury tree, you'll be hitting more on yellow strikes if you can get your hands in a good 2h (DT or S2 weapon works, swords is better for pve unless you're an orc) and it doesn't sacrifice much stats as in a Hybrid Fury spec. In a normal raid you'll bring a 4&#37; boost damage to the melee section of the raid. With some decent gear (S1 mix + some Doomplate gear and blue gear [gloves+legs are the easiest ones to get]) you'll get 115 (with the socket bonus of the gloves, and without considering hit gems) hit rating. With that you'll be more than fine for starting to raid (KZ and Gruul). Your stats should be around 1600 ap, 28% crit on battle and 115 hit rating (if not more).

The spec you made isn't bad, but you'll be more useful to your raid with a 33/28 spec (Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LG0fdNbog0dZVxzmMxRc) nice one, i used it for a long time while running KZ) or you can farm gear and just go for 20/41 with 2H

fastidius
03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
If it's for kara and you want blood frenzy wait till they mobs can bleed (2.4 again)

Taelas
03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Blood Frenzy is all well and good -- when you have mobs that can bleed.

Bloodthirst, however, scales MUCH better than Mortal Strike, and for deep-end raiding, 20/41 outperforms 33/28 by a fair margin.

Frederic
03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Blood Frenzy is all well and good -- when you have mobs that can bleed.

Bloodthirst, however, scales MUCH better than Mortal Strike, and for deep-end raiding, 20/41 outperforms 33/28 by a fair margin.

This is all well and good when you're building a spec based on the assumption that you have good gear: the original poster said his spec was devised with the opposite in mind, usually this means that Mortal Strike will hit harder than Bloodthirst, unless your two-hander is gimped badly as well.

In any case, fury gear is easy to get in TBC, a lot of quest drops have hit rating, and the Legguards of the Shattered Hand and select pieces of Ragesteel can be found easily on the AH for gold easily farmed from daily's. The only reason you should ever be forced to use a two-hander is if you are in a guild with a ton of melee and nobody specced for Blood Frenzy. Considering how much superior a MS spec is for grinding honor and arenas this is not a realistic problem.

Gorrack
03-27-2008, 08:43 AM
When i first started raiding BC I was Arms Fury 31/30 spec Fel Hardened Maul. Granted I had an enhance shaman with me, since I am married to one =D. The traditional 33/28 or 31/30 build would be far better than the one by the oritinal poster in that you lose a lot of DPS by not taking mortal strike and using a 2 hander. Blood thirst is based on AP and is really tailored to those warriors that want to dual weild wether it be fast weapons or slow weapons. Mortal strike is dependant on weapon damage and really starts to shine when using a big fatty slow 2 hander.

I have tried both the 33/28 with blood frenzy, and the 31/30. Both Imp Slam. I must say I like them both. I especially like them both when I have an enhance shaman or 2 in the group with me.

All in all, the guys here are correct in saying Dont try to make up for a lack of gear with a way out there spec. Go a traditional spec that has proven itself. If you learn how to play your best, people will notice and the gear will come.

When I recruit new folks, I am more interested in what they can do with what they have, rather than know they have Full epics or this or that or the other. I will take a quest green Hunter who knows how to make the absolute most out of his gear and spec, over a full T4 mediocre rogue/mage/<insert class here> because the mediocre geared player is only being enabled by his gear to not get better.