PDA

View Full Version : Guild Management

Ceravantes
03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
This is a work in progress, and will be kept up to date as time allows and as new ideas come to me, through my own experiences or dialogue gained in this thread.

1) Rules and Regulations
2) Officers
3) Administration
4) Leadership

SECTION 1
The most important thing when looking to create and maintain a guild with any sort of raiding aspirations, be they a hardcore or casual approach, is Rules. Without predetermined rules to cover all, or nearly all, possible scenarios you leave yourself open to problems that could lead to one or many members becoming disgruntled and leaving, or worse, ruining the atmosphere/morale of your guild.

One of the most important parts of creating a guild is creating a mission statement, you want like minded people to join your guild, so make sure what the guild stands for and its goals are easily accessible for all prospective members.

It is important to note that there is no right or wrong way to govern a guild, it is all based around your goals and aspirations. Therefore I will not be outlining a set of rules here, but will simply furnish some ideas.

Racial slurs, excessive profanity are two very strong examples of things that will destroy guild morale if uncontrolled in guild chat. If there is a female player base involved comments of a sexual nature can have the same effect.

When creating a raiding guild it is important to be very upfront about things like Raiding specs, Attendance, and loot distribution. This should be something that you have already, or are in the process of finalizing before you begin raiding at all. For instance, I have always required my players to spec as I wanted, this did not mean I made a talent calculator for them, simply that I want you to maximise damage, a mage will not raid as frost and a rogue will not raid as shadowstep. Attendance is tracked, and if you are online you are to be raiding, or have your main sitting at the front of the raid zone.

Aside from the enforcement of these rules, the most important thing would be to keep the guild drama free. Any and all problems, no matter what it is regarding should be handled in tells, a private chat channel or in a private Ventrilo channel. Only after a problem has been resolved should it be brought to the attention to the membership as a whole, as arguments in public only serve to hurt guild morale.

Enforcement and punishment are a very important part of any guild, also they are perhaps the most difficult. This is why I have always preferred a DKP or Points based loot system, as it gives the officers the easiest way to enforce rules and punish rule breakers. Other ideas would be demotions, Loot probation and in the extreme Guild Removal.

Section 2

Recruiting and promoting Officers is the most important part of running a guild, who you choose as officers will likely have the most profound impact on how your guild turns out.

Officer positions should only ever be given based on merit. Time spent, friendships, original membership etc. have no place in the decision to make an officer.

A prospective officer should be level-headed, organized, active, and involved.

When I decide on my officers I try and choose people with a wide range of ideas, having nothing but like minded people running a guild is asking for trouble, there should never be a decision that every officer agrees on.

It is important t choose your Officers based on individual guild needs, having class officers is great but far from necessary, and it could put a weak player/leader in a position of authority. You do not want this.

Section 3

Administration is minimizing risk.

It is very important for any guild leader to delegate administration, DO NOT DO IT ALL YOURSELF!!! I can not stress this enough, if you can not count on your officers to assist you then you did not choose your officers correctly, fix it now. The best thing you can do is to not actually do anything. This leaves you free to check up on all assigned tasks, and make sure they are done correctly.

SECTION 4

Leadership is making decisions that carry risk.

Leadership requires decisiveness, if you can not make on he spot decisions, that could potentially hurt some of your members you do not belong in a leadership position. You must be willing to step on peoples feelings, there is no two ways about it.

In closing, I have always found that a raiding guilds needs two figureheads, the Raid and guild leaders. One to lead and one too administrate. A raid leader will at times be required to step on toes and hurt feelings, a guild leader must be there to dry tears, people will not necessarily have an enmity towards the raid leader, but neither will they always feel comfortable bringing problems to him.