PDA

View Full Version : Help on OT spec for KARA

Macled
03-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi, new to these forums posting-wise, been reading them for a while now, my main is a warlock but I have switched him to PVP and stopped raiding. I have had my warrior at 70 for a while slowly building up his tanking gear always enjoyed tanking.

Started playing with BV a while back and i'm up to 430 now which isnt too bad I think pre-Kara. Also have a Raid tanking set with 13k hps, about 55% avoid and 498 def, I have spoken to a few of my raid leaders and said I have good enough gear to start OT on some Kara runs, just trying to work out a good OT spec that wont hinder the raid, as all they do is Badge runs now.

This is what Ive got so far.
WOWHEAD 0/31/30 Build

Thought this spec would work well as I have 10% 1 hand damage bonus for when im not tanking, should make up for loss of 20% on crits from impale.

Any thoughts?

Taelas
03-09-2008, 07:23 PM
With a decent Fury set, you can go full Protection and still have utility -- damage. Speccing for half-tanking and half-damage is only going to make you weaker for tanking. It can easily be done, there's just not much reason to.

Also, Devastate rocks.

Macled
03-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks Norrath well my fury gear has 28%crit 1500ish AP so if that will work ok in Raids ill stay my current spec(saves me 50g hehe).

Yes Devastate Rocks

Taelas
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
It should work just fine, yes.

Wiggum
03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
As an offtank, you can pretty much just spec deep enough in the prot tree to get 3/3 defiance, and do fine. If you're going to invest a full 30 points into prot, you may as well get concussion blow. I really don't think that you need to put any points into improved sunder (you don't have devastate, and the Main Tank will be stacking the sunders/devastates on the mobs anyway). Overall, I would suggest that you put more points into fury...even if you lose the 10% bonus of the 1h spec in prot, you will more than make up for that damage by getting 3% hit from precision, 10% AP from imp bezerker, and 250ap from rampage. All of our warrior offtanks in kara have either had mortal strike, or a full fury build, and just got defiance/last stand, and did fine. The raid will benefit from your increased dps with that spec anyway.

Ceravantes
03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
As an offtank, you can pretty much just spec deep enough in the prot tree to get 3/3 defiance, and do fine. If you're going to invest a full 30 points into prot, you may as well get concussion blow. I really don't think that you need to put any points into improved sunder (you don't have devastate, and the Main Tank will be stacking the sunders/devastates on the mobs anyway). Overall, I would suggest that you put more points into fury...even if you lose the 10% bonus of the 1h spec in prot, you will more than make up for that damage by getting 3% hit from precision, 10% AP from imp bezerker, and 250ap from rampage. All of our warrior offtanks in kara have either had mortal strike, or a full fury build, and just got defiance/last stand, and did fine. The raid will benefit from your increased dps with that spec anyway.

This is all generally not true, the raid will not benefit from going deeper into Fury and your dps would not change signifigantly from being full prot in DW fury gear. I would out dps any of our DPS warriors if they were not full DPS specced, and still manage to place top 10 as long as i have a shaman.

Follow Norraths advice, Hybrid tank builds are worthless (unless your Ciderhelm and do whatever you can to get 12k Sheild slams).

ebs2002
03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
As an off-tank, it's also important to know what your main tanks have. Imp Demo Shout, Commanding Presence, Imp TC are important to have as an off-tank spec if your MT doesn't have them (this is regardless of if you're going down the prot tree or not).

You can then go one of three paths:
a) spec down to devastate. In a good fury set, you can do decent DPS spamming devastate (although there are threat concerns to note). This is what I do when we fight Shade or have the bear tanking prince, and I typically am top-3 for damage (although that largely comes from execute spamming at the end).
b) spec down to bloodthirst/mortal strike. If you do this, you should probably get Tactical Mastery so your threat isn't completely gimped when you need to OT something and keep your threat up (Moroes comes to mind)
c) hybrid spec both protection and dps. If you do this, you'll be a sub-par tank AND a sub-par DPSer. Usually better to choose one of the previous two.

Wiggum
03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
My point was essentially echoing that of Norrath. You really don't need to sink 30 points into prot, especially if your goal in doing so is just to get 5/5 in 1h spec to do 10% more damage. If the goal is to do 10% more damage when Macled is not tanking a mob, that can be achieved easier by putting more points in the other trees.

I think that most everyone here will agree that a 0/31/30 build is certainly not the best to dps or tank. If you are going to invest at least 30 points in prot, you may as well get shield slam and devastate, and with those two abilities, you can certainly do a good amount of dps, and will be a much better tank for it.

I just think that in a lot of the fights in Kara, the offtank is doing dps (our bear offtank spends 80% of his time in cat form when in Kara), and that you can still do the job successfully if you simply invest enough points in prot to get 3/3 defiance, last stand, and imp shield block.

Smaken
03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Honestly you can easily OT Kara as a full 17/44/0 spec, or a 41/20/0 or 31/28/0 spec.

OT'ing (on a 10 man run) is not about spec, its about gear and using your abilities correctly.

I wrote up a whole post on off tanking as fury, I'll put a link to it here for you.

In a 25-man raid you need multiple prot specc'd tanks (be they tankadins, bears or warriors), but for a 10 man raid you need a full tank and a class that can tank, but that is dps focused.

Here, check this out: http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/theory-articles/34760-fury-offtanking.html