PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Heroics in Full S1/Vind (Prot) Doable?

0351_USMC
03-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Since I am having a lot of trouble finding groups as a Arms MS Warrior I wouldn't mind respeccing from time to time to prot. My question is, do I have to put together a complete 490 defense tanking set? I'm finding it kind of hard to since a lot of the pre-kara/heroic guides that I see require at least some instance loot. Or is it possible to keep my pvp gear on since I have around 15k Armor and I believe 11.5k Stam with it. I have 4 blue tanking items I picked up from questing but by equipping those I lose out on a lot of armor and stam, but of course i'm gaining damage mitigation. Anyhow, any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Narshe
03-07-2008, 04:09 AM
You don't need 490 defense because you are already crit inmune via Resilience (full pvp is more than 5,60%, isn't it?)
You would lack avoidance, and maybe some higher HP should be advisable because of this.

Skips
03-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Im no expert and cant remember the exact figures but 280 resilience would be a good rule of thumb for crit immunity.

sevve
03-07-2008, 05:36 AM
should be completely doable, but the lack if avoidance would require you to bring sufficient cc

Gehn
03-07-2008, 08:10 AM
You would also need a healer that is quick on his/her toes and well geared. Your lack of avoidance will be very consistent damage. Your health wont take much of that if your healer is doing other things.

I stated the healer, but it really comes down to the whole group. A well geared/skilled tank can carry a group. But it takes a whole group of well geared/skilled toons to carry a tank.

mattdeeze
03-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Our second guild tank geared up almost exclusively thru BG's and used a single Green "of Defense" belt. we eased him into heroics and kara and now he is running the main kara group. So, yes. it can be done. :) However he did all of this while specced Prot. So he already had a very good feel for the prot style of playing.

Tatt
03-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I currently use 3 BG pieces (chest, shoulders, shield) with stam gems and chants, and aldor defense glyph on shoulders, and I MT kara, so definately doable.

Wiggum
03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
It can definitely be done, and you will likely not have any issues with threat either ;)

I usually tank with a s3 helm and s1 shoulders (both with defensive/stam gems and enchants), and the s2 shield (a huge upgrade to everything you can get before Gruul), mixed in with other Kara/badge/ZA gear...my def is only about 450, but still uncrittable with resilience at 110. Not the best for avoidance, and I don't use this set to tank Gruul or Mag, but it's great for trash, and helps pump out a ton of threat on easier bosses.

0351_USMC
03-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Just an update, ran Heroic Slave Pens, Mech, most of Bot and Steamvault today with little problems. Put out some great threat and healing wasn't an issue. Thanks for the replies.