PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Tanking...

Jericho
03-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Alright, we killed Teron last night and looking at the WWS I have a question.

Do different abilities have different chances to be avoided/miss?

With the gear I used I had 95hit and 30 expertise (yes a bit more than necessary, but parry reduction cant be a bad thing). I had no issues with threat, but I am trying to figure out what is happening with my Revenge and Shield Slam numbers.

I had a 21% miss/parry/dodge rate from my revenge and a 14% avoidance rate on my Shield Slam. While my white attacks, Devastate, and HS were all ~5%. I do not think this is due to small sample size. Was I just unlucky, or is 95 hit just not enough to push more miss off my table?

Kazeyonoma
03-05-2008, 03:29 PM
well, you have a base 9% chance to miss on boss mobs i believe, so anything below 142 hit will cause misses.

The reason why Shield Slam and Revenge aren't quite as consistent as your dev, whites, and HS's is simply, small sample size.

As opposed to the other 3 skills mentioned, Shield Slam and Revenge are on cooldowns, especially revenge who has to light up first THEN go on a cooldown. If your sample size is smaller in a probability test, there's bound to be discrepencies in your overall %'s.

Basically, if you had the same amount of ss's and rev's you would've seen the %'s closer to the white attacks devs, and hs's, but with probably 1/3 as much numbers, the numbers can be skewed.

Jericho
03-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I guess it just doesn't look right, the sample size is always going to be lower, but even with a 9% base chance to miss a boss, a 95 hit rating should push off almost all of it. Seeing a 21% miss rate even on a smaller sample size is just a bit disheartening. I do guess its all in the numbers.

Rak
03-06-2008, 05:25 AM
On WWS, the miss rate you are looking at actually includes dodge and parry. The wording of 'miss' in some parts of WWS results just means an attack that didn't hit. It's pretty annoying.

Devarin
03-06-2008, 08:59 AM
On a related note, I'm wondering how much hit I need to work into my gear. Right now I've finished ZA and such, but am wondering whether I'm making life harder than it has to be on my DPS by threat-capping them. I run between 26 (Akil'zon's Talonblade) to 43 (KD) hit.

Dev

Ceravantes
03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
It's hard to "work in" to much hit, as it is lacking in itemization on tank gear until t6 content. The hit will just start coming naturally once you reach t6 content, and to a lesser degree T5.

mictavis
03-06-2008, 01:01 PM
It's hard to "work in" to much hit, as it is lacking in itemization on tank gear until t6 content. The hit will just start coming naturally once you reach t6 content, and to a lesser degree T5.

I have 116 hit rating on my threat set and only one item required setting foot in a 25 man (Gruuls T4 at that). I will be hit capped as soon as i can get my hands on Icon of Unyielding Courage or Romulo's Poison Vial . . . unless I get the new 44 expertise trinket coming in 2.4 first.

Tankatronic Goggles - 13
Brooch of Deftness - 22
Blazefury - 18
Aldori Legacy Defender - 15
Crystalline Crossbow - 11
Bonefist Gauntlets - 21
Crystal Band of Valor - 16

Malignus
03-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I've always assumed the hit cap was 142 hit rating, due to the 9% base chance to miss. However, my experience has shown there's still a 1% chance to miss on specials no matter how much hit rating you stack. If this is the case, then the actual specials hit cap would be around 126 or so, no?

Kream
03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I've always assumed the hit cap was 142 hit rating, due to the 9% base chance to miss. However, my experience has shown there's still a 1% chance to miss on specials no matter how much hit rating you stack. If this is the case, then the actual specials hit cap would be around 126 or so, no?

There isn't a base 1% chance to miss on specials. That only applies to spell resists. I dps completely hit capped (including no dodges) and my specials never miss unless I get parried.