PDA

View Full Version : Gem choice after Illidan

Fitzlestick
03-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Hello,

We recently killed Illidan and I'm slowly getting more and more tank items from MH and BT. (we were quite unlucky with drops on our way there, even if it took us quite a while)

Untill now I have been ignoring all gem stocket bonuses and went straight out for 15stamina gems. This enabled me to swith out the darkmoon card for another trinket (usually moroes + hydross trinkets) while keeping my stamina high. Depending on my gear set I now range from 21k to 22k health.

I'm not a theorycrafter but I do feel I don't really "need" more health. Staying between 21k and 22k health seems a good goal to me.

I've been looking around but have not found any guides on this subject.

What should I gem for by the time I have full MH/BT gear ?
I've seen some tanks using Shifting Shadowsong Amethyst in their gear. In the Onslaught Handguards and Onslaught Legguards For example I would get 5 agi and 10 sta instead of 15 sta.

Bit more armor, bit more crit, bit more dodge, ...

Anyone did some extensive research on the subject ?
I'm not really in a guild that has been clearing BT for 6 months to allow myself the luxury of experimenting a lot on the subject.

Fitz.

Marn
03-05-2008, 02:52 AM
I think a general rule is, if the set bonus is 6 stamina, use a Shifting Shadowsong. But otherwise, you really do just have to go full stam gems. Looking at some of the new fights coming out, you're probably going to want to keep as much health as possible, because the benefits you get from agi in your gems is minimal at best.

Of course if you get the new meta gem you'll have to throw a yellow gem in your gear somewhere.

Donjuan
03-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Fitz are you from Bronzedragonflight eu? evolved guild.

Bottom lin is i would not use the +5agi +7 stam gem anywhere but the t6 helm or faceplate of impret, as the socket bonus there is +6 stam, but lateley alot of tanks are changing there +5 agi + 7 stam to +15 stams even in thier helsm as they get ready for sunwell. For gloves 15 stam , same with legs.

Fitzlestick
03-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Yes, I am that person. There are no other players called Fitzlestick as far as I know anyway.

Thank you for the information.
As I tought, the agi/sta might have been good while farming (and overgearing) MH/BT but will not be enough for Sunwell, which is around the corner, so no good for me.

Donjuan
03-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Yes, I am that person. There are no other players called Fitzlestick as far as I know anyway.

Thank you for the information.
As I tought, the agi/sta might have been good while farming (and overgearing) MH/BT but will not be enough for Sunwell, which is around the corner, so no good for me.

Cool, seen you around, and was online when you guys cleared bt, gratz on kill.

Wrath
03-05-2008, 07:39 AM
even though i would also still gem for stam-only after killing ilidan and farming bt/hyjal for a while - one single agi/stam gem in T6 or the Faceplate wouldnt hurt anyone tanking sunwell encounters ;)

Kazeyonoma
03-05-2008, 09:05 AM
but likewise, 1 extra +5 agi wouldn't really help anyone tanking sunwell encounters either amirite?

Xav
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
You should keep your first/primary set of tank gear solidly gemmed with all stamina gems, excepting great socket bonuses like the Faceplate taking advantage of a Shadowsong cut.

Then since you'll be farming for a while before new gear's out, and even afterwards, gem up your second tanking set with avoidance gems.

It should be obvious why you'd do this, a max stamina set is great for learning new content and surviving worst cast scenarios and getting comfortable with the fight's burst potentials (or lack thereof), then you can switch to avoidance gear afterwards to make things easier, or to have an extra avoidance suit ready in the somewhat uncommon chance an encounter heavily favors avoidance.