PDA

View Full Version : Got an upgrade, have a few EH questions

Gnobiwan
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Looking for some advice here.

I'm essentially gearing for EH, but I had a question I'd like some input on. You can check out my Armory below. Last night I picked up the chest off Zul'jin to replace the one from Nightbane, which was an EH upgrade despite the other good stats. I have two questions related to this:

1) I've never really bothered to check this out, but how much extra threat does SBV give compared to hit? I'm wondering how much threat generation is lost going from Pan to Warlord chest (39 SBV versus 26 hit rating - I'm not hit capped).

2) With the upgrade my dodge is now nearing 23% unbuffed in my regular tanking set. When I do trash I usually take off Pocket Watch in favor of Autoblocker. A question though, I know too much avoidance can lead to 'spiky rage' generation, but is this still true for raid bosses you do not outgear? A group of rerolls and I recently formed a guild and are beginning 25-mans soon - for Gruul and SSC/TK, is avoidance and 'spiky rage' a problem on the bosses, or is this only something to worry about on trash?

If this is a problem, would you guys recommend switching the cloak enchant to 120 armor?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Smolderthorn&n=Gnobiwan)

Nikya
03-03-2008, 07:22 AM
The chest off Zul'jin is ungodly. I would certainly use it over the Panzar'thar. As to spiky rage generation, I can't give you any hard facts but I would think that if you don't outgear the boss, you'll still be getting hit hard enough and be getting plenty of rage.

Lavache
03-03-2008, 08:07 AM
i find gruul spikey, but at this point i outgear the encounter. the issue i have with him is he hits really slow, but really hard. one hit is 3/4 of a rage bar - which is quickly expended. if you can clear ZA you are more than geared for gruul. we are just starting ssc and i havent had any rage issues on the bosses yet. tidewalker hits like a run-away freight train.

Gnobiwan
03-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Pretty much what I thought. We'll be starting SSC/TK this week or next, but I'm glad this won't be an issue. If I have some problems on trash, I can always use a different set.

Agreed about Gruul, I had a string of about 20 seconds last week with almost zero rage in the 10th growth, but I had a big enough lead anyway.

ebs2002
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Looking for some advice here.

1) I've never really bothered to check this out, but how much extra threat does SBV give compared to hit? I'm wondering how much threat generation is lost going from Pan to Warlord chest (39 SBV versus 26 hit rating - I'm not hit capped).

IMO, it's hard to compare them because they serve different purposes. Both help your threat, but +hit shines more in long fights and SBV shines more in trash clearing. No amount of hit will be better than the burst threat you get from a shield slam with high SBV at the start of a trash pull. If you're wearing +hit on trash pulls, your threat won't go up each fight, you'll just have less fights where your threat is low because of a missed Shield Slam at the start. Personally, I choose for more SBV and tell my raid to watch the Threat Meter.

Hit, on the other hand, is great for those longer fights, where you're trying to do steady threat. You'll notice an increase in your overall boss threat with +hit for sure.

If you want a value for SBV versus Hit on a boss fight, the only resource I'm aware of is The Threat Formula: Gingamok\\\'s Rule of Thumb - TankingTips.com (http://www.tankingtips.com/2007/07/24/the-threat-formula/) . In it, he says 1 hit rating = 10 threatpoints, 1 block value = 3.57 threatpoints. In your scenario, the 26hit rating is twice as good as the 39 block value.