PDA

View Full Version : Gearing for Brutallus

Narshe
02-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Ok, let's assume you are geared with all the plate items, rings, necks, trinkets, etc... from Hyjal and Black Temple.
Which items you should consider to wear from previous instances when gearing for Brutallus? I understand that maxing Effective Health is the way for this boss so my guesses are that you should wear Slikk's cloak of placation instead of Pepe's Shroud of Pacification or the new +240 armor enchant instead of the +2% threat or +10 stamina ones; or +120 armor in cloak for best choice.

But which other changes would you make?

Royal Gauntlets of Silvermoon?
Blade of the Unrequited?

Edit: I found this item between new badge gear Ring of the Stalwart Protector. I guess that would replace the Band of the Abyssal Lord

Paumedie
02-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I've been lamenting this issue for the past week or so. A boss that hits like a freight train combined with a very strict dps requirement = *headasplode*.

Edit: I'd be careful of gimping your +hit too much. Your raid is going to have to put out 28,000-ish dps to get him down. That's a lot of threat required, too.

Caulle
02-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm dreading this fight TBH. I do not think that my raid can output the DPS to kill him in the enrage timer at all.

Pau: Can you clarify one thing? How does the tanking work? The fights changed up quite a bit, and I'm not clear on how the Meteor Slash works and how you tank through that. (We havn't bothered with the PTR at all).

Narshe
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I have a trick or two for dealing with enrage. But we couldn't last more than 30 seconds in enrage tho... so Im trying to gear myself properly so we can bring one less healer or healers can make some dps output at the beginning of the fight, like having a druid in cat or some exorcisms now and then.

Paumedie
02-28-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm dreading this fight TBH. I do not think that my raid can output the DPS to kill him in the enrage timer at all.

Pau: Can you clarify one thing? How does the tanking work? The fights changed up quite a bit, and I'm not clear on how the Meteor Slash works and how you tank through that. (We havn't bothered with the PTR at all).

Meteor slash is a frontal cone that hits everyone withing 30 yards of Brutallus. It does a base 20k fire damage divided up between all of those that are hit with it. Everyone hit with meteor slash gets a debuff that lasts 40 seconds that increases fire damage taken by 50%. He uses Meteor Slash every 12 seconds.

The yardages and cooldowns are rough numbers, but they're pretty close.

Brutallus is tauntable as well.

Worldie
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM
That boss for me looks like a heavy EH boss inserting as much threat stats as possible combined with high EH and acceptable avoidance.

Ye looks like a good headache.

Thetys
03-02-2008, 04:54 AM
one question : does he crush?

Nikya
03-03-2008, 07:19 AM
If he's tauntable, doesn't that mean that you would be able to bounce threat off another tank if you have two tanks that are geared enough? I know nothing about the fight, but if the raid needs to put out that much DPS then any threat boost would help.

Belak
03-03-2008, 09:04 AM
one question : does he crush?

I've read that nothing so far in Sunwell 25 crushes. No personal experience though.

Paumedie
03-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I've read that nothing so far in Sunwell 25 crushes. No personal experience though.

I certainly got no crushes on Brutallus. However, he does dual wield so he suffers from the miss penalty. It is possible that he is capable of crushing it's just nigh impossible to be crushed unless your avoidance/block are super super low.

Dots
03-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Just because he dual wields doesn't mean he suffers from the additional 19% miss penalty. Gurtogg and Illidan dual wield and only have the normal 5% base miss rate. I couldn't be bothered to check the logs since WWS didn't work, especially with the new format, but Brutallus didn't seem to miss 30+% of the time as he should with DW penalty.

Anyways, this is a fight where avoidance really shines because he swings so fast, as long as your TPS is high enough. Which isn't that hard since your rage bar will always be full. EH is more important for slow and hard hitters.

Xav
03-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Brutallus does not suffer from the DW penalty. As to how the fight works, I feel it's best that most guilds and players experience it themselves and find what works best, rather than spoil it all and have all strats ready to be devoured before the content is even released for people. I know this is a website based on strategies and getting better at the game, but in this case, since it's cutting edge stuff not even out, it's a little different.

That said, Brutallus is pretty straightforward. It really pushes your tanks to see if they understand how to not gear like a fool, and generate the highest threat possible in a gearset that isn't aimed at threat generation. This will also most likely require special group compositions that heavily cater to the needs of the tanks.

I have a second set of T6 and the miscellaneous pieces all gemmed and enchanted special just for this fight.

Narshe
03-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Anyways, this is a fight where avoidance really shines because he swings so fast, as long as your TPS is high enough. Which isn't that hard since your rage bar will always be full. EH is more important for slow and hard hitters.
I'd rather gear up for being capable to stand 4 seconds with zero heals, than not being able to survive 3 hits in a row without dodge/parry.

Dots
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I'd rather gear up for being capable to stand 4 seconds with zero heals, than not being able to survive 3 hits in a row without dodge/parry.

Have you done this encounter? If you are without heals for 4 seconds, something is wrong. Brutallus swings twice per second, once with his MH and once with OH. Avoidance is at it's absolute best here to reduce the massive incoming damage.
Nobody is talking about a 15k hp buffed paper tank, but EH really isn't that important for him.

Caulle
03-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Does Meteor Slash stack when hit by it? Or does the timer merely refresh?

Xav
03-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Pretty much what Dots said. There's very little point to theorycraft. It's a gear check, and an L2P check on the tanks. EH gear has no advantage on a fight like Brutallus.

Narshe
03-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Have you done this encounter? If you are without heals for 4 seconds, something is wrong. Brutallus swings twice per second, once with his MH and once with OH. Avoidance is at it's absolute best here to reduce the massive incoming damage.
Nobody is talking about a 15k hp buffed paper tank, but EH really isn't that important for him.
Im not talking about that difference. Im talking in a difference between 24k buffed HP and 22.500 buffed armor (no inspiration) or 20.5k HP and 20k armor but ~6% more avoidance.

Dots
03-05-2008, 10:46 AM
That sounds like some pretty bad trade-offs unless you are somehow cracking 90% avoidance with that.

ebs2002
03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, obviously you wouldn't take a T4 avoidance piece over T6 EH piece. But when the ilvls are the same +/- 10, the piece with higher avoidance (or dare I say Tank Points) is probably better for this fight.

Xav
03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
The tradeoff for me is ~1400 hp for almost 9% more avoidance, less than a 100 armor loss.

Narshe
03-06-2008, 12:57 AM
The tradeoff for me is ~1400 hp for almost 9% more avoidance, less than a 100 armor loss.
Sounds high, what are you switching if I can ask?

Malignus
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I've been using dual avoidance trinkets, but other than that, gearing exactly as shown in armory. He hits hard and fast like Illidan. EH won't save you on this guy.

Vimy
04-04-2008, 02:05 PM
It is not uncommon for you to see hits such as

3k offhand
8k mainhand

Ever SECOND from brutallus, with those values shooting up during STOMP debuff:

3.5k offhand
9.5-10.5k mainhand.

That is, with stomp (5500damage) in 2 seconds you could see:

5500 - Stomp

33.5k MITIGATED damage. EH through that.

You MUST receive heals every SECOND during stomp, you need to AVOID as much as possible, OR take 3 tanks.. helps alot.

byechee
04-04-2008, 02:13 PM
your healers simply need to be on the ball and cannot take a break. it takes 3 constant healers on the tank and one more helping during stomps. you can never hope to avoid everything. the only thing you can do is count on your healers.

Zph
04-08-2008, 07:06 AM
After doing this boss I can say from my experience that Avoidance is the only way to go, he hits way to hard and way to fast for any obtainable amount of EH.

My armory is currently what I was using for Him, Gear and Spec.

Paruhdox
04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
I dont know if this has been said but the parry mechanic that resets swing timers is not a part of this fight. So stacking expertise in any form is bad if you are having death issues. Also Heroic MGT trinket is almost a must for this fight, since you constantly drop below 35% from melee swings.

Also to clarify this he does not crush. In my opinion if you are learning this fight STACK avoidance... dont bother working about TPS and DPS until you hit that enrage timer, even if you have good DPS you will most likely hit it unless your guild sports 4 sets of warglaives in which case you should have killed him by now :P

Aelvain
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I used my normal gear set, which is gemmed primarily for dodge and hit. About 20k hp buffed, ~75% avoidance (before Sunwell Radiance), wore the standard pocket watch and insignia, alternating use of them during stomp. If I had the Commendation of Kael'thas I might consider using it over the insignia, but the pocket watch is a must for this fight in my opinion. This is kind of a side note but feel free to use cooldowns (shield wall, last stand) before the enrage as they don't make much of a difference when he enrages.