PDA

View Full Version : Hydross Res gear?

Bodasafa
02-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Would this be suficant for tanking hydross in either form?

I have a 6 peice set for nature:
Head -Epic BS +20 res enchant
Chest-Epic BS +8 res kit
Leggs-Epic BS +8 res kit
Neck-Blue JC
Ring-Epic JC
Boots-Blue lvl 70 +8 res kit

Total unbuffed 309 nature
With Hunter Aspect of the wild +70
Total = 379

And a 7 peice set for frost:
Head-Epic BS +20 res enchant
Chest-Epic BS +8 res kit
Legs-Epic BS +8 res kit
Neck-Blue JC
Ring-Epic JC
Boots-Green lvl 70 +8 res kit
Trinket-AV reward

Total unbuffed +316 frost
With Pally Frost Aura +70
Total = 386

I guess i could poss remove a peice from my frost set to bring it closer to 365.

AlmtyBob
02-27-2008, 01:17 PM
More than sufficient, in a bad way. Resistance is capped at 365 for a level 73 mob. For a nice gear/mats list check out Hydross the Unstable/Resistance Gear - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://wowwiki.com/Hydross_the_Unstable/Resistance_Gear)

Clifford
02-27-2008, 01:22 PM
The resistance is good (but too much as stated). My question would be what are your other stats like with that gear? I have about 14k unbuffed health and 490 defence (flasked) in my nature set.

Nuberino
02-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Make sure you are uncrittable and aren't neglecting your health too much. My hydross set is now at 285 unbuffed resist, uncrittable at 14.7k hp

Corlishan
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM
I have a related question. How much resistance would be considered the minimum to successfully down Hydross? We only have the 3 piece epic sets for both FR and NR, and can get the epic resist rings. Do you really need more than that?

Notalda
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Being uncrittable is not that important in my experience. I've tanked Hydross with ~370 NR and 450 def, and never ever went below 60%, not even when we did it with 5.2 healers (0.2 for a pally who dinged 70 that day and was literally in greens) on our first kill.

The gear the OP posted is more than enough to tank Hydross, as said, even a bit too much, replace some resistance items with other tanky stuff.

Clifford
02-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Notalda I have never had a problem either but then we had geared for so long in T4 the guild was ready to roll through SSC. For guilds that might have to fight the enrage with adequate gear then the 490 would be more important.

However personally I don't run with anything less than the best I can get and getting 490 defence wasn't that tough.

Ranx
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
I run hydross with 335 buffed res (i'm frost tank) and ofc 490 def.

imo it is not needed to be cap'ed in res for this fight just get around 300 and make sure u got 490.

Also a nice trick is to dw tank him as all his attacks r elemental based and therefor can't be blocked. And he doesn't crush anymore so just go go spam dev and hs :) works really well

Notalda
02-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Notalda I have never had a problem either but then we had geared for so long in T4 the guild was ready to roll through SSC. For guilds that might have to fight the enrage with adequate gear then the 490 would be more important.

However personally I don't run with anything less than the best I can get and getting 490 defence wasn't that tough.

I wanted to cap NR, as our healers are good enough to heal a crit up. When switching at 100%, he doesn't crit that high either, anyway.

And when we first killed him, we've all been in T4 tops, with random loot from Lurker and VR. And with a pally in greens.

Yes, Hydross can crit, but switching at 100% with half decent healers, you can easilly survive even three crits in a row (I just did yesterday).

I don't like to run around with anything less than the best, hence I have capped resistance. In my experience, that proved to be a lot better.

We did try Hydross once, with the tanks having 490 def and as much resistance as they can get, but the healers said we should go for capped resistance instead, as healing the occassional crit through is easier.

Dansodai
02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Hmm, I really never tried to string my defense all the way up 490 while losing some resist in the process. We actually just downed Hydross last week with my defense at 460~. Our frost resist tank is the same way. If you have everyone geared up to adequate standards, you need not hit 490 defense, just keep your resistance capped and your health high.

Ceravantes
02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
While it is true that not capping defense on a resist base fight like this is doable, why would you even take teh chance when it is simple to acheive. The mere though of taking a 200% normal damage attack makes me cringe. Think about the one time you take an unmitigated (by resist) crit, you are dead and you wiped the raid.

Nuberino
02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
I found a great combo to get you to uncrittable was to use the gladiator's shoulders (I have made these my all purpose resist item with 2 void spheres and teh +7 resist all glyph) and gloves. That's a boatload of resilience and the pieces have decent hp on them as well.

Bodasafa
02-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Im hearing arguments for both sides here either max res is more imp or 490 def.

Since I have the sets to achive max res ill start with that and when hydross drops that nice def trinket +42 Def (i belive) ill throw that on for future encounters and that should work out nicely.

Nuberino
02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Put it this way, a little short of max resist will not get you gibbed. A little short of uncrittable (although not a *huge* chance) can.

Ceravantes
02-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Put it this way, a little short of max resist will not get you gibbed. A little short of uncrittable (although not a *huge* chance) can.

^

I have not worn max resist for tanking hydross since our first kill, but i would never go into any encounter without being uncrittable.

Dreg
04-23-2008, 06:32 AM
hmm this is interesting... i can easily hit max res with the crafted gear, along with that i have s1 sheild that lowers the def cap to 473 so i am both res capped and crit imune ... id did not seem that hard to do.... am i really better off just dropping some of my resist for more tanking stats? to be honest im kind of worried about my threat generation... my guild is planing on starting ssc next week

Crommi
04-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Don't worry about threat gen other than being fast enough with your reaction time to form switch.

About the gear, I've been doing Hydross for a while now with capped resistance. Although I'm not crit immune (0.36% chanceto get critted), based on WWS logs the highest amount of crits I've got during the fight was 1. Keeping that in mind, it's very unlikely to die from crit if you're at resistance cap because it would have to happen under 250%. Depending on strategy, 250% should never even happen and even 100% debuff only lasts aslong it takes to move Hydross from spot A to spot B.

Nuberino
04-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Depending on strategy, 250% should never even happen and even 100% debuff only lasts aslong it takes to move Hydross from spot A to spot B.
This all depends on your dps output. To beat his enrage timer we don't stop dps until about halfway through 100% and then tug him across the line just before the 250% starts.

Crommi
04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
This all depends on your dps output. To beat his enrage timer we don't stop dps until about halfway through 100% and then tug him across the line just before the 250% starts.

Well, we do it like this:

5 seconds before 100%: "Stop DoTs!"
2-4sec after 100% debuff has applied: "Stop DPS" and switch.

Usually goes down ~1min before Enrage timer.

Kamani
04-25-2008, 04:33 PM
I did him with capped resist and like 445 defense. Never get low. I imagine you can do this with like 290 resist and 420 defense and be fine. He is incredibly weak.