PDA

View Full Version : Avoidance? What avoidance.

Rageaholik
02-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Well, Ive been gearing my alt warrior for a while now and am getting into ZA timed runs. I have decent threat, and do fine on trash. Ive noticed after someone pointed out I have horrible dodge rating. And on some bosses im just getting plain destroyed. Is it cause my avoidance is soo low or should we consider 3 healing za with my gear? Is there any avoidance gear available pre 25 man raid?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&n=Rageaholik

Devarin
02-26-2008, 01:34 PM
You should consider 3 healing ZA no matter what your gear is. The instance is just too healing intensive IMO to 2 heal it unless you're massively outgearing the place. The bear boss deals some heavy melee damage AND silences so all your healers have to be spot on. Jan'alai can be a complicated fight, so more healing means more love. I don't even want to think about Halazzi with two healers (Saber Lash will dismantle your tanks very quickly, along with Frenzy, Corrupted Lightning Totem, Flame Shock, etc. without the necessary healers). Once you get to the last two bosses, you MUST have at least 3 healers. Hex Lord requires a heck of a lot of raid healing through raid-wide spirit bolt damage, and Zul'jin needs three (or even four) good healers to deal with the 5 different phases of the fight.

AlmtyBob
02-26-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm a stam-stacker so I figured it must be something else, but wow, you do lack dodge. You should be able to eek by with that dodge rating though, so it's definitely a healing issue. Every single boss in ZA basically requires 3 healers like Devarin says.

Radhja
02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I agree... running ZA with only 2 healers - even gear'd healers - is insane and incredibly demanding of the role we rely most on. Be nice you your healers... run with more of them.

Typically 15-20% Dodge is "acceptable", and anything more will most likely lead to spikey rage generation. It's nearly impossible for a warrior to mitigate the kind of damage being dealt out in ZA like a Druid does, and we certainly don't need their insane Dodge%, but a happy balance between Dodge/Parry/Block and Armor mitigation will see you thru the day.

Personally, I like to equip my SBV/Threat gear for trash, dropping my avoidance very low (12-24% Dodge/Parry, but 33% block 606 SBV) but let me dish out some nasty Shield Slams in the process. Try out a few different gear setups (saving each experiment with Outfitter/Wardrobe addon) and gear for the encounter at hand. :)

Rageaholik
02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Problem is where can I get dodge rating, I can get the cloak and...yeah thats all I know of. Oh and I got the boots off of bear boss now, so im gonna be rocking even less avoidance most of the time now. I usually wear my battlescar boots thus nerfing my dodge even more and increasing my parry.

Devarin
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Take a look at some of the gear lists on this site to help you find more avoidance pieces. Berg's in particular has been very helpful for me.

Dev

Bigstik
02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Your gear looks fine to me. You may want to consider dropping those hit gems for Defense if you're set on those socket bonuses and shopping for a bit more avoidance, or dodge if the socket bonuses are unimportant to you. Also, get either 20 agi or mongoose (~40 agi on average, if I'm not mistaken) on that weapon; TSE will help you in a lot of encounters in the future.

As it's been said, take 3 healers so they don't end up hating you more than the mobs do.

Devarin
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Yup, mad healers = bad healing

I've seen ZA break apart decent teams in the first few weeks because it is so frustrating at times, so you want to make it as easy as possible for yourself - when in doubt, strengthen your lifelines.

epoc
02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
looking at your armory and only 14% dodge is rather weak. Your parry and block are fine although your block is wasted after 25%. Shield block (which you should always use) increases block by 75% so that extra 5% block you have is wasted a majority of the time and is better spread to dodge or parry - dodge being the easiest stat to boost. 5 more % in dodge and you would notice a big difference. Regardless of what some people say about nightbane he does hit fairly hard and during the fears if you healers are too far away to cast a heal immediately can cause a bit of a strain.

Also note that theorycrafters push EH style of tanking very proudly. While EH can work well in many situations I personally prefer avoidance tanking over EH tanking (when you are avoidance off-tanking Gruul - mind you I had 18k HP - and your MT is EH main tanking him and the MT goes down and the melee scatter like roaches or die and you have to MT and eat hatefuls for the the last 15% of his life avoidance tanking is a beast. I know cause I had to do it). Specifically I balance it out. having 20+% dodge and 17+% parry should be aimed for while having 25% block. After that I HP and armor are you better stats. Don't forget also that defense inceases dodge/parry/block % as well.

one other thing i noticed about your armory is that your defense rating is at 485. =( 490 is the defense rating at which you won't be crit by a boss mob. So nightbane had the potential to crit you and when he crits it is very nasty (cleave ftl). so that is most likely what happened in this encounter. you were crit.

hope some of this helps

Nilya
02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
looking at your armory and only 14% dodge is rather weak. Your parry and block are fine although your block is wasted after 25%. Shield block (which you should always use) increases block by 75% so that extra 5% block you have is wasted a majority of the time and is better spread to dodge or parry - dodge being the easiest stat to boost.
You don't need any shield block rating to be uncrushable. If your chance to dodge, parry, to be missed, and block add up to 27.4% or more, you are uncrushable with the Shield Block ability active.

To answer the OP's question, yes your avoidance is a bit low, but the badge belt and cloak will help that. However, you can't do that place with two healers, not without being crazy geared.

epoc
02-26-2008, 03:48 PM
You don't need any shield block rating to be uncrushable. If your chance to dodge, parry, to be missed, and block add up to 27.4% or more, you are uncrushable with the Shield Block ability active.

To answer the OP's question, yes your avoidance is a bit low, but the badge belt and cloak will help that. However, you can't do that place with two healers, not without being crazy geared.

actually you are right here about the shield block rating. I'm a little tired bleh even posted about nightbane but that was another post i saw in here. bad day at work + 5 hours of sleep not good for thought processes.

but yes the above is true. and 2 healers for ZA is just asking for repair bills.

Rageaholik
02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Well we managed too do a 3 chest timed only having trouble with the eagle boss due too the raid healing.

As for my 490 defense, im well aware its needed to be uncritable. That is till you factor in im using the S2 shield for tanking with its resilliance I believe I can pull off 472 Defense and still be uncritable.

And as for the suneater enchant, Im poor =(.

I appreciate all the feedback too.