PDA

View Full Version : Soft (Special) Hit Cap?



Ratholorn
02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I was always under the impression (I can't recall where I read this) that the soft hit cap was 5% against a skull level boss (so 5.6% on your character sheet).
However at this week's Archimonde I tanked with 4/5 T6 and the Teron Gloves and 95 hit rating (+6%) as opposed to my normal tanking set which includes Bulwark of the Ancient Kings and 151 hit rating (+9.5% making me hard capped for white hits) and I missed with Shield Slams.

My armory has the gear I tanked in, below is the link to the WWS parse (we only use a free account so this will disappear in 2 weeks) but you can clearly see that 2x Shield Slams missed.
Ratholorn - WWS (http://wowwebstats.com/4fmjjc5zjlihy?s=10770-11192&a=24)

My question is this, what is the hit cap for specials when tanking skull bosses? I'm confident with the 142 hard hit rating cap for white hits from EJ as I've tanked with it many many times (and not seen missed in my logs) but the soft cap is obviously above where I thought it was and I'd like to know if anyone has a hard answer.

Traydor
02-25-2008, 02:49 PM
There is always a 1% chance to miss as you can only reach 99%...correct me if I am wrong. So misses are gonna happen.

Kazeyonoma
02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
that's all good and theoryable Traydor, but according to Elitist Jerks, the soft hit cap on Specials is the same as White hits when using 1 handers, and that's 9%. So with only 6% you still had a 3% chance to miss.

Oda
02-25-2008, 03:41 PM
All yellow attacks, as well as any white attacks made while using either a 2h weapon or a 1h weapon with no off-hand weapon (a shield not counting as an off-hand weapon) hit-cap at 9%.

If you're hit-capped, my understanding is that you will not Miss (though you may be Dodged or Parried). Casters will always have a base 1% resist chance, but I don't believe the same can be said for melee.

veneretio
02-25-2008, 03:49 PM
The Hit cap is 142 Hit Rating for Specials too.

Ratholorn
02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback - that's a pain for working the Teron gloves into a set.

veneretio
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback - that's a pain for working the Teron gloves into a set.
It'll be easier in 2.4 at least ;)