PDA

View Full Version : Expertise: The New Ring you missed and More!

veneretio
02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
With mmo-champ among other sites focusing more on the epic quality loot, I feel this gem has gone relatively unnoticed.

Band of Determination

The Band joins Shapeshifter's Signet as 1 of the only 2 Expertise Rings currently in the game. This new blue star though unlike it's epic counterpart comes with actual tanking stats making it a serious contender for one of the ring spots of any Warrior/Druid tank.

I think we can all forgive the 3 point difference of this blue and give it the nod over the signet, but how does it stack up against the new player Sunwell Badge Loot - Tank Ring? (i'll be shocked if this item link works) As well as Kara's Violet Signet of the Great Protector?

I'm starting to think the viability of this ring may very well be tied to what all our new expertise gear adds up to. The once unreachable theorized 46 Expertise Skill cap seems very reachable and may very well determine whether this has a chance at even nudging out some T6 Level ring contenders. (note: I'm going to talk about this theoretical cap throughout this monster post. It represents the Expertise Skill required to remove both Dodges and Parries off the table)

Well I guess it means it's time to do some math...
3.9423 Expertise Rating = 1 Skill

Dragonscale-Encrusted Longblade = 25 rating
Gauntlets of Enforcement = 21 rating
Girdle of the Fearless = 22 rating
Sunguard Legplates = 23 rating
Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx = 22 rating
Brooch of Deftness = 21 rating
-------------------------------------------------------
= 134 Rating = 33.9903102 = 33 Skill
+ 6 Skill from Defiance
= 33 + 6 = 39 Skill
...which is still short of the mark

So throw in the new ring...

Band of Determination = 17 Rating
= 134 + 17 = 151 Rating = 38.3025138 Skill + 6 = 44 Skill
...so close, yet still not quite there.

Until you throw in the human racial that is which passes the theorized cap of 46 leaving you with 49 Expertise Skill! An orc could wear The Brutalizer instead of the longblade, get a total of 48 Expertise Skill and not have to worry about annoying any dpser hoping to acquire the longblade ;)

-or-

And here is the kicker (especially if you made this list like me using WoWhead and their dirty search didn't pick this up and you just remembered it once drawing a whole bunch of amazing conclusions... but I digress), you could just get Shard of Contempt for 44 Expertise instead.
= 134 + 44 = 178 Rating = 45.1513076 Skill = 45 Skill + 6 = 51 Skill

So, you can wear a bunch of fancy new gear and a trinket to reach the theoretical 46 Expertise Skill cap or if you are lucky and you are an orc or a human, you have the option of saving a trinket slot for something else and sporting around Band of Determination to pass the magic 46 instead. ;)

Ciderhelm
02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Nice... will be reposting intro and link to frontpage! :)

Satrina
02-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Humans (and orcs!) say nyah nyah!

Ciderhelm
02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
I dream of a day where I hit my target every single time.

Next I just need Armor ignore and more shield block value.

xeriah
02-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Also don't forget this blue item, it's only 10 expertise rating, but it's something. A nice tanking threat ranged weapon i think:
Nightstrike

Dough
02-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Also don't forget this blue item, it's only 10 expertise rating, but it's something. A nice tanking threat ranged weapon i think:
Nightstrike

That thing is insane. :eek:

Guess I'll have to farm MT on normal mode too.

Radhja
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Nightstrike

Wow... now I have a reason to run that instance again. Always hated it (especially Pandemonius on Heroic...), but now there's at least something I can walk away with.

I've been using a green "thrown" item as a ranged backup forever cause it's got +9 Agility, +14 Stamina, and +9 Def Rating....this thing blows it right out of the water, and helps hit the Expertise cap to boot!

Go go blue awesomeness. :)

Davion
02-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Its not MT as in Mana Tombs, its MT as in Magisters Terrace ;)

Kazeyonoma
02-21-2008, 10:30 AM
MT got brutalizer last night. Made me shed a tear =(

byechee
02-21-2008, 01:17 PM
isnt' there a trinket with expertise and an on use for HP?

zahn
02-22-2008, 07:08 AM
46 expertiseskill is the cap? why?

46*0.25 = 11.5% less parry & dodge. (wowwiki)

a lvl 73 mob has a dodge chance of 5.6%. parry chance is between 9%-15% (source elitejerks).

djiss
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
I bought Shapeshifter's Signet the day they changed weapon skill to expertise. I got another warrior asking me "why you wear this? it's not a tank ring"
"no? It got stam, it got agility for dodge and armor. It got agility for crit and expertise for less dodge/parry to increase my threat. It look like a tank ring for me..."
"but it have no def"
"I'm already over 490def."

I always prefered threat gear. I'm an agressive tank. It make run faster.
But since it seems I'm gonna tank 25man boss now (I was only MT'ing in 10man and they allowed me to tank maulgar and gruul this week, woot), I'm gonna work on EH and avoidance a lil more lol.

Radhja
02-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Its not MT as in Mana Tombs, its MT as in Magisters Terrace ;)
/cry

Which means I won't see it until I convince some BT/MH guild to let me piggyback them and rape their lewt.

Lovely. I love new "out of your reach" content. :P

/qq

Ekarderif
02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Magister's Terrace is a 5 man...

Radhja
02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
MagTer is a 5-man suited for T6-gear, amirite?

Zyn
02-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Apparently, and lucky for both of us, you are wrong ;) It's a 'bridge' between Heroics and Kara (As if the first few bosses in Kara aren't easy enough to pug with a good group!)

It's like heroic SL/Shattered Halls difficulty when on normal mode, which is where this ring drops.

Armstrong
02-23-2008, 06:20 PM
MagTer is a 5-man suited for T6-gear, amirite?

No. Just another 5-man instance that pretty much only requires you being level 70. Heroic mode difficulty is supposed to be on par with current heroic instances.

Nicki
02-23-2008, 07:49 PM
No. Just another 5-man instance that pretty much only requires you being level 70. Heroic mode difficulty is supposed to be on par with current heroic instances.

Well considering ive wiped on normal kael'thas with T6 geared players I hardly think this is 'just another 5 man' ;)

Lacunata
02-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Kael`Thas in MT depends largly on group set up, Healm Shammie sucks for G.Laps and three Rogues aren`t that optimal for this battle, nonetheless the Tank (me) saved the day, execute ftw.

Yeah expertise is really good, and i hope with the large amount of attainable expertise we find out how much % we need to reduce parry finally to zero, pitty i can`t get on the BT Gloves :(.

EUN
03-02-2008, 07:18 AM
It appears I have maxed expertise at 26 (???). That said, comparing WWS logs for a 7 boss clear of Kara (21 expertise last week - 26 expertise this week) still yielded a nice stat improvement. Not nearly as dramatic as before I had any expertise, but I strongly recommend that any serious tank max expertise for melee intensive boss fights. WELL worth it!

My guild is at ZA level and I use Brooch of Deftness, T4 gloves, and ring. I go with Vengeance Card and Auto-Blocker when I have the ring on. Eat Spicey Talbuk for hit and chug Fort Flask to offset loss of stam and def stats elsewhere. Threat is sick - going for Romulo's vial and King's Defender w/Executioner (12+ runs and dropped once early on, but I passed to OT - d'oh!) for more +hit = more threat.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Argent%20Dawn&n=Eun)

recent WWS log for Kara [geared as above for Moroes and Prince only, ~8-12 of the meager 23 recorded crushes (note, I said 7 bosses downed] were after wipe was called). It's all about the stats, babeeeeee!

Eun - WWS (http://wowwebstats.com/uezsjbrffc6ui?a=0)

Our mage, Livox, has absolutely s-i-c-k DPS and for the first time, he hardly ever had to hold back.