PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Specializations

Athifos
02-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I've been reading up on 33/28 PvE dps (and no, this is not a thread on Fury vs Arms so don't bring it up) and was having a hard time deciding between Axe Spec and Sword Spec. I know that Sword Spec is amazing because it gives you an additional hit (rage) that can crit (more rage). However, the only two weapons I have access to are Lionheart Executioner (if I want to spend a lot of money getting my smithing up), and Jin'rohk, The Great Apocalypse. However with Axe Spec, I am currently using a Gorehowl and was looking at the The Blade of Harbingers for 2.4.

My big question is this: Is the 5% chance for an extra swing worth losing almost 7.5% crit, or does the crit make up for the extra swings?

Edit: I messed around with the spreadsheet and for my current gear, the dps is almost identical. I guess what I'm really looking for is how often does Sword Spec prevent you from being rage starved?

Seelen
02-20-2008, 04:03 PM
There is a big thing that sword has an advantage over axes with. Windfury. Sure, axes can proc windfury, but only SS can proc off a Windfury. Alone, Sword Spec itself can crit on either or both attacks. Take Windfury out of the equation and take into account the gear you should have by the time you would get either JinRokh or Gorehowl, and SS has a definitive advantage.

While in a topic whose title is greatly beneficial, I might post one of a handful of questions over which I've spent the last 48 hours scouring the net to answer.

What, other than white swings, procs mace and sword spec effects? I've heard rumor that thorns will proc an extra sword swing, but I'm not sure how. Sounds like a bug to me if anything.

Cairn
02-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I am like u , SS is the best spec for PvE but about 6-7 % loosing Crit is huge ...

The best way is : calcul with time , procrate ( SS, WF... ) and compare . No enchant .

Fezzick
02-21-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm in the same boat you are in. I'm a Jewelcrafter/Miner so the best 2H sword I have at the moment is Despair. However, I do have a Gorehowl sitting in my bank.

It seems in raids I have a 50/50 chance of getting a WF totem, and I'm strongly considering using my Gorehowl again.