PDA

View Full Version : jan'alai ( Dragonhawk boss)

Madoxx
02-19-2008, 04:46 AM
i need some advice on this boss , at the moment we are a T4/badges guild gruuls clear etc , working on TK and SSC .

Im Mting this boss with the Pally OTing the adds getting him to 30 is not a problem but once he enrages i last a while then die im useing armour pots trinkets etc, but he is hitting so fast i just go down at about 24 % .

Am i Doing something Wrong or am i gearing wrong for this fight any help would be great , we have killed the Bear,Bird & lynx Boss with out any problem , but this is kinda grinding us to a halt at the moment

my gear is on my sig cheers for any advice

Lollo
02-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Your gear is perfectly alright for Jan'alai.

Try to find the source for why you get owned at ~25%.

Have a look at your combatlog - this is helpful and will let you know why you died - giving you the opportunity to adapt your style of tanking.

So for instance check if he crushes you a lot try to concentrate on your SB. Should you get a lot of Damage from the exploding eggs concentrate on your positioning etc.

Another source of faliure could be healing: Have you spoken to your healers? Maybe they run out of mana. Or probably you have a retardin / drood devoted for MT healing who tries to help out with group healing.

Hoping that helps you...

Radhja
02-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Had this same problem last night. Downed Bear and Eagle without incident, but Jan'alai fits us fits.

Our problem was a combination of lack of heals during the soft-Enrage (he strings series of crushing blows, so watch your Shield Block downtime...), lack of Paly OT to handle dragonhawks, and just being retarded on the bomberman phase.

Madoxx
02-19-2008, 07:42 AM
ok looked back at the logs when i went down SB was up but got wasted on too normal hits got crushed 3 times and hit normaly two more times in the space of 3 secs , crushes i could handle as they were in are around 3k -5k mark so not massive the normal hits ranged from 2-3k

spoke to healers and i have a paladin/druid on me but they were healing the group too , we are going to try to differnt to night healing wise with two druids and a priest , priest and druid on me will se how this goes and repost later

Lollo
02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah, would be interesting to see if that works for you Maddox...

I speak a lot with our main healer / healer coordinator. always complains when the palys do not adhere to their tasks :)

Thist
02-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I think the problem is your dps, it is nice to get to the "soft" enrage around the time (or a little after) all the dragonhawks are dead. This overlap - where healers are trying to heal everyone + dragonhawk tanks + you - is the the hardest part. Once the dragonhawks are down then its much easier for the healers to keep you up, especially since you get a nice pause in dam every time the bombs happen.

During the soft enrage/dragonhawk overlap make sure you keep him debuffed with thunderclap and demo (and anything other classes can do too), have any class that can heal throw you heals (snarl at them and ask if they'd rather wipe if they don't wanna), save your health stones etc for this time, maybe blow shield wall if you need. Once all the dragonhawks are dead it kinda goes into easy mode and you can be fine even with a few dead.

I also always tank him standing facing south, helps people know where they can stand nicely spread out.

Devarin
02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Need a bit more info I think.

How long are you guys taking to get to 35%? If you're reaching the second enrage (10 mins I believe) it's going to be almost impossible for you or the healers to keep up to the damage and speed. I would suggest taking on more dragonhawks during the spawn phase so that your DPS can focus on the boss quicker. How many waves do you generally go through?

If you're hitting the second enrage while he's close to dying (~5%) you can pop shield wall and hope for the best. Otherwise, you're going to get knocked around and there's not much you can do about it (and if you have to DPS him down 20%, it's going to be VERY tough no matter what gear you have).

Hope that helps.

Dev

Derrick
02-19-2008, 12:26 PM
after the first enrage the damage changes from "barely noticeable" to Nalorakk levels. in my experience the healers just need to adjust to the change. i usually blow cooldowns in the first few seconds after the enrage while the healers are still adjusting to the change. after a few seconds, they are used to it and im fine. just make sure they know up front that it will happen and when.

Madoxx
02-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Need a bit more info I think.

How long are you guys taking to get to 35%? If you're reaching the second enrage (10 mins I believe) it's going to be almost impossible for you or the healers to keep up to the damage and speed. I would suggest taking on more dragonhawks during the spawn phase so that your DPS can focus on the boss quicker. How many waves do you generally go through?

If you're hitting the second enrage while he's close to dying (~5%) you can pop shield wall and hope for the best. Otherwise, you're going to get knocked around and there's not much you can do about it (and if you have to DPS him down 20%, it's going to be VERY tough no matter what gear you have).

Hope that helps.

Dev

are DPS wasn't a Problem ,changed tactic's a bit tonight and killed him with out a problems. We killed the dragonhawks eggs first then took the boss out healing was fine on the soft enrage this time .

Lollo
02-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Grats Madoxx ;)

Bigstik
02-20-2008, 07:09 AM
I had a couple of kara-geared healers heal the bejesus out of me the other night on Jan'alai; we went 41 seconds into enrage without an potion CD, shield wall, or last stand, as they'd either been used earlier in the encounter or an earlier one. That said, I'm running around 40k EH at times, so I'm easier to heal than another tank at that progression might be, but the point is it's possible to eat the enrage in the face.

Grats Mad!

Devarin
02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Woohoo grats! Did you get the shield? It's pretty sexy...

Dev

Karaja
02-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Healers pretty much have to go to the MT on the enrage. I OT the dragonhawks and have 2 warlocks dumping SoC. We have 2 pallies and shaman handling the healing, shaman chain/spot heals the raid. I usually die on the final wave of dragonhawks as I blow my challenge shout on the last wave. If I dont die, I switch to a 2 hander and start executing. Our MT sits on about 20k buffed.

Cairn
02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
One question how much Cruching Blows have Jan'Alai ?

For me about 30 %.
I have near 100% passive avoidance and he cruch me about 1/3 times when no avoidance crush proc ( block , parry , dodge ) .

15 % crushing ? no way for him !

AlmtyBob
02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Like a lot of encounters this is all composition. A pally tank and two mages (or maybe a lock/mage) can make this trivial. Have one ranged DPS assigned to DPS the boss and kill one of two hatchers immediately when they spawn. Let the second hatcher do 5 egg hits at a time (5 hits = 15 eggs hatched). The pally and mage should stay near the eggs so they don't get teleported during the firebombing. The pally tank and mages must have the fire debuff dispelled quickly or it well stack to the point that his flame breath will be a one shot. Doing this the pally/mage/mage will fight 15, then 9, then 15, then 9 birds and be back on the boss a bit before the soft engrage.

If you have melee dps till them NOT to run away during the bomb phase. Just tell them to circle around to safe spot and only back off if necessary. Even if they're in front the MT isn't going to get parry gibbed from his normal mode. If you have one or two idiots that can't manage to avoid the firebombs, mark the tank and one of the smarter ranged dps/healers and have people group up on them.

Cairn
02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Maybe testing with a Druid for tanking JA (and me on the eggs pop ) ... i tested this next ZA

MasterWolf
03-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Druids get crushed.

Noraxe
03-09-2008, 09:36 AM
We managed to get him down right before he enraged last night.
The dps didnt kill the hatcher so all of the sudden while tanking him I saw hatcher just jogging past me and over to the other side. I was saying on vent. "Uhm guys? Why is there a hatcher running to the other side?"
All of the sudden on the portaling back to him we see the birds coming from the other platform. So the pally tank went over to the other side and got them. Our mage was in 300FR so if he got agro or got the flame breath from Jan'ali he would basically resist it.
We had a new shaman with us also, was her first run with us so I guess she was suprised about this ^^
Anyone else having this that all eggs have been let loose by 1 hatcher?