PDA

View Full Version : Executioner- mitigation/avoidance lost worth TPS?

Ariedan
02-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I think anyone with a brain can realize at this point that the executioner enchant gives considerably more threat than the mongoose threat.

I quote from Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t18771-protection_warrior/):)

According to the threat calculator, a mongoose proc will increase a well geared warrior’s TPS by 39. This correlates to 39*60s*(21s/60s) for 772 threat per minute or 12.9 TPS.

According to the threat calculator, this comes out to just over a 6% total increase in threat for a well equipped warrior, or ~65 TPS. This would make executioner significantly better than mongoose for use on your “Aggro weapon”.

My question isn't which enchant to use for threat. I wanted to enchant my tanking weapon with executioner, but when I mentioned in to the guild, I was approached with a concern that the avoidance and mitigation that would be lost from the mongoose. I thought that my current gear supplied enough mitigation and avoidance for my tanking roles, but one could argue I do enough threat as well. My biggest concern, really, is how badly would the loss of the avoidance and mitigation be as one of the main tanks? Is my current gear suitable enough to worry less about staying alive and more about helping the dps hold back, if I were main tanking? Because I'm pretty sure my new guild has no set main tank, as we all take turns or roll for the chance.

Ideally, I would prefer to just get an Unbreakable Will or a Lurker mace to play around with for threat but loot never drops for me.

Your opinions?

Notalda
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I never noticed the loss of avoidance when I switched to executioneer. Our DPS department did notice the increased TPS tho.

It depends a lot on your current gear tho... If you have mostly T4 level gear, with a few T5-level pieces, go for mongoose. Otherwise you will probably have a good amount of avoidance from gear alone, so go for executioneer.

Temig
02-14-2008, 01:01 PM
My The Brutalizer has Executioner on it and I haven't looked back to Mongoose yet. I have a lot of faith in my healers but not as much in my DPS ;)

I have Mongoose on my The Unbreakable Will but I honestly don't really use it very often at all. The threat boost, to me, is more valuable than mitigation and avoidance at this point in the game.

gyre
02-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I have the same enchants on the same weapons as temig. I do tend to use my unbreakable will on the harder hitting and less-threat-sensitive bosses so far, but am still in the process of experimenting :)

-- gyre --

Ariedan
02-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I never noticed the loss of avoidance when I switched to executioneer. Our DPS department did notice the increased TPS tho.

It depends a lot on your current gear tho... If you have mostly T4 level gear, with a few T5-level pieces, go for mongoose. Otherwise you will probably have a good amount of avoidance from gear alone, so go for executioneer.
T5, T6, and non-spec BT/Hyjal gear. Armory's in my signature.

Thanks, guys. You just helped me make my decision. :)