PDA

View Full Version : Zul'jin Phase 3

Nuberino
02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Looking for ideas on how to better handle this phase. We were caster heavy on our last attempts so this phase is lasting a long time and it feels like we are slugging through it. We get through the phase and then things quickly fall apart as our healing pots, healthstones and such are on coold down so the lynx focus fire just destroys us one toon at a time.

Has anyone tried stacking some nature resist on the raid, would seem that if you had even everyone at the 180ish resist that the amount of damage would be considerably less and you could push through that phase easily.

Or perhaps just have a single holy paladin in full resist plate to keep the entire raid up while they dps him through the eagle phase?

We just downed lurker as our first T5 boss, so we definitely don't out gear the place.

Any thoughts?

Gwayne
02-13-2008, 04:29 PM
I hear Chuck Norris once refused to do Zul'Jin because of Phase 3...

Ceravantes
02-13-2008, 04:40 PM
I never wore NR, but I put a hunter in my group and had him use Aspect of the wild. There was no difference in damage at all.

Derrick
02-14-2008, 08:27 AM
- burn all DPS cooldowns the moment he hits 60%. he takes a couple seconds to become active and you can do a lot of damage before casters start getting penalized.
- shamans use their nature-immune earth elementals
- tanks get out of the way to get hurricanes out of melee. swoop in occasionally to maintain sunders if nec.
- everyone stay spread around him. give healers (especially druids) nice central positions.
- spriests shift out and just throw PoMs around
- all other casters wand
- healers with instants can punctuate a non-instant and only take damage once. i.e. a druid casting regrowths on the raid and immediately putting a HoT on self each time should only take damage for one spell. lag may be a factor with this. using this technique a druid can almost heal the entire phase. PoMs are very nice too.

Nyd
02-14-2008, 09:18 AM
As Derrick said one of the most important things for your DPS to remember is - there is NO agro in Phase 3. All out, pop everything, slam him as he approaches 60%. We easily shave 4-5% off of his life just going into the phase this way.

From there we depend on our Affliction Lock and Priest (Spriest and Holy) dots, to eat away at him. Melee needs to duck and dodge and get in there and go to town as they can. As a prot warrior I do my best to maintain sunders and drop Rends and shield slams as I can.

Really this phase is not hard, it just takes a few attempts for people to get comfortable with what is going on with the storms. The real test in this fight imo is the 5th phase. It's a fun fight, one of my favorite in Zul'aman. Good luck!

SuperFlounder
02-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Aside from the supporting the advice already stated, I really only have one tactic to contribute.

One thing my groups have found successful is to mitigate the mob mentality of everyone avoiding everything by having casters and healers pair up buddy system, and stay in set wings of the area. This often keep the damage more manageable. Fewer twisters hitting everyone at once. DPS is not allowed to run into those wings but rather up a stage when a tornado is heading toward them. This often produces more conentration and order in the fight. Casters are told to keep bandages ready for the healers to help out a bit.

I find, as a tank, its best not to risk the melee dps, if you have more than 3, by fighting with them in the middle, you'll just draw more twisters and interrupt their dps. Run in to reapply sunders and than find yourself a corner where you won't get healers in any trouble.

One important thing, the twisters CAN toss you over the fire barrier, personal experience, while it was fun kiting all the twisters to where Malacross was, its a rare occassion and more worth avoiding (especially if you're a healer or tank) than trying to bug. You can't get back over, and I guess you might not get loot, though I died and the group wiped when it happened to me anyway.

rustyboy
02-22-2008, 10:12 PM
The best approach to this phase I have found is more about mentality than anything else. At first it was like we got to get through this phase as fast a possible in order to minimise the chances of people dying.

The mentality that works... don't worry about how long it takes.. as stated above get your casters to use their wands and put up dots, CoD etc before 60%. Obviously healthstones, pots, bandages help. Get your healers to take different positions around the platform. The melee just need to get in when they can, if you have the whirlwinds heading towards you move away. I would suggest trying to stay away from some of the corners because of LOS and getting caught between a few whirlwinds and the wall can be bad news. When you have no whirlwinds around you at all bandage if you have lost health, try and keep yourself topped up and call out for healing only when you really need.

The raid need to look after themselves and minimise their damage taken, no need to take risks. Your most likey going to spend a couple of minutes during this phase so don't rush it. We have lasted for a very long time without deaths by just taking it easy.

sevve
02-23-2008, 03:25 AM
Many good points here,
We only had me(tank), a feral druid and a hunter as physical dps, so we spent quite some time on him aswell, but our healers actually regenerate mana through the phase.
A tip if you are a warrior tank, pop out your dw and use battle shout, everything helps.

Shortypop
06-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but was looking to see if anyone else had any advice to add.

We've downed Zul'jin before but the last two times haven't managed him. Last night we were (probably far from ideal) - prot warr, fury warr (me respecced), rogue, 2 mages, 2 locks, 1 holy priest, 1 holy pally, 1 resto shammy. We did try standing at certain positions as advocated by wowwiki and although most of us felt like we took less damage, others died incredibly quickly.

Anyway, any extra advice or suggestions to add?

Tedd
07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Position two casters and a heal on the platform, the heal way in the back just for them, the other two heals should spread out and avoid whirlwinds.

As a warrior, intercept will blast you through the whirlwinds straight to him. You still still take a 1200 tick, but you also won't be stuck in a corner. The same goes for feral charge (I don't know about rogues and evasion.)

When tanking, I throw on the fury weapons and devastate my ass off, I also stand in front of anyone as a twister heads in to them to knock it back off them as best as possible, as my HP is still around 1400 without my shield on. Intercepting right back in afterward is GG for phase3.