PDA

View Full Version : I hate Blackheart the Inciter!!!

Skullbasher
02-12-2008, 05:04 AM
What strategies do you all use to tank this guy in Shadowlabs (2nd boss)? I hate him with the white hot intensity of a 1000 suns. He seems to aggro at random, runs all over the damn room, if I get close he lays down his thunderclap and knocks me halfway across the the place.

If I can grab him I can hold on to him ok, until he does his 'time for fun' MC trick and then its back to helterskelter. The other day we were in there, I'd grab him on pull, he'd MC within about 10 seconds of the start of the fight and aggro on our druid healer who hadn't even done any healing by then. I do know I was 3rd on the damage charts just behind our mage and well ahead of the dps warrior who had for somereason equipped sword and board.

Anyway, how do you all tank this guy? Any tricks you might suggest?

Ylun
02-12-2008, 05:16 AM
If you hate this guy, wait until you get to Grandmaster Vorpil. That guy is NO fun at all.

(Can't help you sorry. Never had problems with Blackheart, but wasn't able to get past Vorpil last time we tried. Heroic mode that is.)

Schue
02-12-2008, 05:23 AM
What strategies do you all use to tank this guy in Shadowlabs (2nd boss)? I hate him with the white hot intensity of a 1000 suns. He seems to aggro at random, runs all over the damn room, if I get close he lays down his thunderclap and knocks me halfway across the the place.

If I can grab him I can hold on to him ok, until he does his 'time for fun' MC trick and then its back to helterskelter. The other day we were in there, I'd grab him on pull, he'd MC within about 10 seconds of the start of the fight and aggro on our druid healer who hadn't even done any healing by then. I do know I was 3rd on the damage charts just behind our mage and well ahead of the dps warrior who had for somereason equipped sword and board.

Tank him with your back towards a wall, i usually tank him against the door. There is no way to get around the MC, just deal with it. You need to be on your intervene and intercepts so you can pick him up when he starts eating the rest of your group.

Nikya
02-12-2008, 05:24 AM
The only things I can say about Blackheart are:
1) Pop all your cooldowns that would hurt the other players during MC as soon as the pull occurs. This includes Shield Wall; otherwise he can switch you to Berserker and pop Recklessness.
2) Intercept and Intervene are your friends.
Seriously, he is a pain. It's also one of the few bosses I can think of that gets harder as the DPS gets more gear.

Eluithyin
02-12-2008, 05:55 AM
1) Isolate the factors you can control

a) Positioning
- If you have a Hunter, definite Misdirect to Tank on start
- pick a side, I don't care, left or right
- in Def stance, just walk-into-him... Shield-Bash
( or Battlestance & Mocking Blow, swapp to Def on the walk-thru )
.. rotate-thru-him.. Devastate stepping back..
.. kite him to back wall, offset the doorway left or right
Put your ass to the wall, and keep backing up, Party can dps during
the intial positioning... BUT
The Rest* of the Party should be heading the back wall as well!
You want to be in the pocket-corner on 1 side on the door, and
the Party on the other side.
Now during a Knockback... no one should move... much.
( sure as shit not hal-way down the stairs )
..and this is their collective 'return-to-spot' if* they are able.

After every MC or weirdo Knockback or aggro run-around-fest...
*re-position* as best as you can.

2) Compensate for the factors you cannot control
- The Mind Control : Changed in Patch 2.3 starts at 6 seconds
=> Your Party must Identify 2 Things
a) Skills they want to use that are on a 2min-10min etc Cooldown,
and BURN them in the 1st 6second 'positioning' stage, so that
Blackheart does not use them against your group.
b) Additionally, it does seem that BlackHeart will NOT access/use Skills
That Are not* on the UI Bars.
- Take off the Nasty ones if necessary.
*Pray he uses your Priest Fear & Locks Fears though*

NOTE : As the Tank, be wary of your Stances after* the MC.
He will commonly swapp you out to Battle or Zerker, and on returning to normal your first reasction will be to locate him, move towards him, and spam Taunt.. useless if you don't notice you're in Battlestance and have a custom UI layout that shows all your skills.

NOTES :
Hunters are weaker melee, clothies next to Hunters is nice,
versus Hunters getting a solid shot off on your Mage etc.
Locks, use the FelPuppy, hopefully someone will get spell-locked.
Rogues, must remove Posions, the DOT'ing types, or whatever, I dunno
about rogues, they're all mysterious and such.

Aggro Issues After MC has completed.
You have 25-30seconds before the Next MC : Use it wisely.

Basics; We all know who you are Killing......... - So put a big freaking ORANGE Circle on Your* Head......
making it easier for your party to find you after MC to come
cluster up for 2seconds, so no matter who gets 1st Aggro,
you can Pop a Taunt Off within simple range, instead of the
Casters madly popping off shots and backing up.
- Now have the party use the next 3-5 Seconds doing NO DPS
Even a Healer should chill for a second, until you have that
Taunt & Bash & Devastate back-up kiting at least* 5 feet towards...
the 'return-to-spot'....
- Their job for 3 to 5 seconds is to apply 1st Aid to themselves.
5 seconds of 1st Aid = 3,000 HP and Less Aggro and ensures a Buffer
for the start of the Next MC.
*That's why Rogues remove posions, during the MC, the Poison DOTs
inflicted on other party members willl later interupt the bandaging.
- Now you have 20 to 25 Seconds of DPS Time.
Your ass is kinda towards the wall, you didn't have to fight for aggro
while they bandaged, they have 3k HP more, and are back in their spots.
You should be able to bandage again on Alternating MC's depending on
how many phases you need to go through.

Blow your personal Cooldown in 1st 6 seconds.
Ass to the back, you 1 side, party the other. Little Knockback.
( and really, they must all know to run to* the Tank, even run thru the Boss to get to your Taunt Range )
** If needed ** Liberal Use of Intervene & Intercept after each MC
1st Aid and Lucky Charm on your Head for after MC, no poisons.
Rinse & Repeat.

Exact Same Method on Heroic-Mode as well.

and yes, I tend to blabb after no sleep, forgive me.

Eluithyin

jlafleur
02-12-2008, 05:56 AM
Remember that your group does more to kill itself then Blackheart does. If I'm a DPS warrior, then I put on my tanking set so I don't wtfpwn my healer. Blow every CD you have at the start as a previous poster mentioned. Even if I'm the tank I use Recklessness so I can DPS him as much as possible to start. Rogues shouldn't use poisons (unless maybe mind-numbing). Hunters should lay down a frost trap so when you are MCd, you can try to trap someone. Warlocks should have succubus out on defensive to charm when MCd. Also, have everyone but warriors wear their PVP gear. Resilence is nice on your clothies when you are beating on them. Warrriors should wear tanking gear as I've killed everyone in my guild at least couple of times between Crypts, Sethekk and Blood Furnace when the MCs couldn't be broken by your PVP trinket (they can as of a recent patch).

Direweasel
02-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Yeh I hate this guy. Found and easy strategy for me: Have everyone stand on the door behind where he stands. If everyone is there, everyone get's hit by the knockback. Preferably try not to kill the healer but that's simple if you have a hunter.

Also, have your healer stand a bit off to the right / left. Pop a hunter trap under all the DPS so they can't move quickly and it'll keep them from killing the healer. Works with a shaman totem too. Long as the healer survives and you don't have to run around too much from knockbacks, I think he's pretty simple. If you have enough armor, try dual wielding.

Shortypop
02-12-2008, 05:59 AM
It's chaotic, but a few things that help.

1. Threaten to kill anyone who dps's/heals after the MC until you are in melee range unless absolutely necessary (from a healing point of view) - this is pretty crucial as squishies who have been damaging each other during mc will be one or half-shotted.

2. Mark your tank and healer with raid icons and tell the dps to run to you if they get agro after the MC and to try stay within healing range.

3. Spread out before MC, so you spend time running towards the rest of your group, also aoe area targeted spells always seem to have the person casting them as centred.

@ Ylun re Vorpil, for heroic, like normal it's a dps-fight. Tank/kite him south - making sure all the group remains behind you, so if they get agro cos you got banished he doesnt run back into the voids, move asap out of fire when he portals and head north - you want him dead before he portals for a second time.

Tank
02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
It is especially fun if you do this in heroics mode with 2 highly geared warlock trying to kill each other "Time for Fun" = Time for laugh :D

Stytches
02-12-2008, 06:58 AM
I always thought this fight was a blast! Even after our Elemental Shaman had a nice crit with chain lightning on the group... See? FUN!

bludwork
02-12-2008, 07:17 AM

Taunt after MC, that's all there is to it.

After MC he aggro resets, but he also had a sweet thunderclap deaggro about 4-5 seconds after MC. So right after MC, run up to him and taunt. He will either charge someone or thunderclap deaggro. Either way he'll still come back to you.

Healer and dps reducing the aggro footprint after MC also helps a lot. Most healers will instinctively heal when mind control is done causing even more problems.

Irghen
02-13-2008, 12:50 PM
PROTIP: If you get knocked back quickly switch to Zerker and intercept before ou're out of range. It doesn't only keep you on his head but also feels awesome to defy the laws of physics.

Also, this fight along with Vorpil's can help you learn a proper opening sequence:
Zerker -> Zerker Rage -> Battle -> Run In -> Charge -> Def(while still running) -> Bloodrage -> Shield Slam -> Run through him -> Thunderclap -> Mouse turn around -> Walk back to wall

After that you can pop Shieldwall go Zerker and spam Devastate and Heroic Strike to help with DPS. If you lose him just Intercept, switch to Def and taunt.

And yeah... wait till you get to Vorpil, made me want to rip my head off.

Roana
02-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Yes, tanking him is like trying to grab a piece of soap in a bathtub. But it's good practice for high mobility fights with aggro resets, so it's best to learn it.

For a tank, the fight is mostly about being really aggressive about getting in his face NOW and generating threat. You should not even think consciously about how to get to him, the moment you can move you should already be on your way. Not a second or two later, NOW.

An important part of the fight is to contain the combat within a relatively small area so that you can Intervene and Intercept effectively. As long as you can get to a squishie fast and taunt, you should be good.

Exception: If you have lots of AErs, then having everybody on top of each other is going to just lead to mass deaths during "Incite Chaos".

Incite Chaos happens about 20 seconds into the fight, and then at 1-minute intervals thereafter (i.e., 15 seconds of being mind-controlled alternating with 45 seconds of fighting the boss). Unfortunately, LittleWigs does not have timers for him.

Incite Chaos is also a complete aggro reset. Both his knockback and charge also seem to have aggro reduction components attached to them.

You will have a few seconds after Incite Chaos while he is running around aimlessly and before he engages again. Watch the debuff to know when it expires, use a /target macro to target him again, and use those few seconds to get into melee range and grab him.

Other tips: Put Demoralizing Shout and Thunder Clap on him, once you've re-established aggro after Incite Chaos. That will reduce damage not only to you, but to the rest of the party as well when he starts bouncing around.

In the end, though, this is a fight that relies on the entire party working well together, not just the tank. For example, it is important that a healer keeps everybody topped off by the time another mind control is approaching: Not only minimizes that the risk that somebody dies during it, but it means that you can delay healing after it ends until the tank has secured aggro (by the way, this is one of the very few fights where Lightwell is a very good spell to use).

Oh, and if you think warriors have it bad tanking him, ask any protection paladin how much they like him. :)

Tristessa
02-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Tank him with your back towards a wall, i usually tank him against the door. There is no way to get around the MC, just deal with it. You need to be on your intervene and intercepts so you can pick him up when he starts eating the rest of your group.
That's what I do.

I usually start the pull by either charging into him and pulling him towards the door, or having the party sneak through the side and do a ranged pull to the door. I always let the party know that I'll be tanking in front of the door, and to have them run there if they have aggro.

It's important to have everyone stop DPS/heals after MC resolves, because the tank will need to hit him at least once and start building threat from scratch. The problem as well is that his stomps have a bit of an aggro reduction as well. He'll sometimes stomp right after you Intercept/Intervene to close the distance too--so you'll have to be quick with Taunt/Mocking Blow after that.

Take advantage of the 2-3 seconds after the MC by hitting him, taunting him, whatever--since he'll be running to the door and help with the positioning.

The healer should try and keep everyone topped up so they don't kill each other during the MC. Nothing else I can say about this...

Celuna
02-13-2008, 07:04 PM
does 5x Major Dreamless Sleep Potion still work?

I remember doing that a long time ago, but most of the people I run with hate ShadowLabs so much they refuse to go in there, hehe.

Tristessa
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
No idea, but I know that tree-form Druids will just run around like a headless chicken during MC and not attack anything.

Worldie
02-13-2008, 08:30 PM
The pots work, but unless you menage to get all 5 people drinking em at same time, the non-sleeping people will break the effect on others

Taelas
02-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Eh, as long as everyone gets to drink it before the MC hits, it doesn't matter if they are one or two seconds off the mark.

Andromedea
02-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Other than blowing your cds early, and making sure you make full use of intercept and intervene, not much else you can do as a tank here. :)

The rest of the party members need to play smart and spread out far away from each other close to the time he is about to MC everyone. That way, they need to travel to actually attack each other which minimises the damage done. So far, on heroic mode its been easy going as long as people don't blow their nukes on him the second we come out from MC. There's usually a casualty at least, because as luck dictates one fella will get the shadowbolt crit/rogue wailing on him/mindblast and SW:D combo. :)

Vorpil is also easy if you have strong DPS to burn him down fast and you are good at kiting. I kite Vorpil south down the path and then after the teleport/rain of fire, north up the corridor away from the voidwalkers which we completely ignore. He's usually dead by the 2nd teleport or just after.