PDA

View Full Version : Charge/Intercept + Hamstring

ScientificLee
02-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi Guys,

Long time no post. I'll get right to the point. How many of you charge or intercept another player and hit your hamstring button only to get a "target not in range" message?

This is doubly confusing to me because my "1" key is a charge/hamstring macro in BS and an intercept/hamstring macro in Zerker.

This doesn't happen all the time but enough that it is starting to concern me since one of my prime responsibilities in Arena is to keep hamstring and MS up on the primary target.

I'm trying to remember all the fights this has happened to and seeing if there is a race and/or class composition this happens to. Off the top of my head I'm guessing NE Druids and Gnome Mages but I can't be sure. Perhaps due to shapeshifting and blinks?

The other thing that I want to ask is that recently there has been some posts claiming that Taruen have larger hitboxes. I don't know if this extends to PvP. However I am a female Tauren Warrior. Perhaps charge stops short cause of larger hitbox? Who knows? I'm tired and am grasping at anything.

I'll try to spam 1 faster tomorrow and see what happens in BGs.

Skips
02-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Im guessing the reason is that the charge has taken you to where the target was when the charge/intercept started but your target has kept moving. So would probably apply to any target with a reasonably swift run speed or a skill that moves them out of range if they resist the stun.

ScientificLee
02-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Two scenarios come to my mind.

1) I'm on a druid. The druid, in human form, roots me and the pally is a little slow to give me a dispel/freedoms. He tries to get in a few HoTs while running away. I intercept him and get to him right as he shapeshifts. He is stunned. I'm not in hamstring range unless I move my char.

2) I'm on a mage. The mage blinks and as soon as I hear that sound I start spamming intercept. I get there, and with the lag, it looks like I get there the same time he blinks there and again I'm not in hamstring range.

Shrug, maybe I'm just slow? Yeah, if they resist the stun, I'm more than likely not to hamstring them.

nfw
02-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I believe the problems are due to server/client syncing.

When someone is stunned, rooted, cycloned etc, the server immediately sends that character's location to your client, otherwise, they are only synced periodically. So when you charge, your client thinks the enemy player is at (x,y), but no, he's actually at (x,z), and because charge stuns, the server send out the real location right away, from your point of view, that player just glide from (x,y) to (x,z), all the while stunned, and (x,z) may be well outside your melee range.

This isn't unique to warriors, when I played a rogue, I sometimes had to use blind just to sync a player because I couldn't attack him even though it looked like I was well in range.

ScientificLee
02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks.