PDA

View Full Version : Deathfrost enchant for tanking?

Edhellin
02-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Enchant Weapon - Deathfrost - Spells - WOWDB (http://www.wowdb.com/spell.aspx?id=46578)

Anybody think that it will stack with TC? If so I'd imagine that this would be a required dmg reduction chant for at least two people per raid. But would it be a good idea to put it on the tank and let the DPS still have their fun?

loadtoad
02-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Look how cheap it is to make. I would almost bet it is in the game for some encounter in sunwell. I guess we will find out.

Traydor
02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Off Tank Necessity I would think.

Caulle
02-11-2008, 08:29 AM
I wouldn't use it as the MT. If it stacked with Imp TC, or if it was detrimental to a boss fight, then i could see there being a need for it. Elseif, it's kind of meh.

veneretio
02-11-2008, 08:42 AM
It's not going to stack with Thunderclap and if it did then it's proc rate would have to be so low that I'd be nearly worthless. Tanking wise it is a powerful, situational enchant that I think a Main Tank needs to have on an extra weapon. It's definitely a necessity for an off-tank too.

Nicki
02-11-2008, 09:13 AM
if it procs enough to give a 20-25 dps increase then it will replace 40 spell damage on paladin tank weapons...

Also a good enchant for Nightfall

Edit: in other words it has to proc 7-8 times per minuite for it to be a viable threat enchant. DOn't forget that the proc will take advantage of misery and CoE^_^

veneretio
02-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Pally tanks absolutely have to have this enchant if they are doing 10 mans without Warriors. (which they shouldn't be, but eh some will)

ebs2002
02-11-2008, 09:46 AM
That was my thought, Ven. Either:
a) they wanted to make a non-threat tanking enchant (and it stacks with TC)
b) They put this in to allow pally/druids to be able to take damage from 10mans that were tuned with a warrior's TC in mind.

Caulle
02-11-2008, 11:14 AM
b) They put this in to allow pally/druids to be able to take damage from 10mans that were tuned with a warrior's TC in mind.

It won't proc for a druid.

ebs2002
02-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Why not? It doesn't say that the weapon has a chance to proc it, it says "Equip: Your melee and spell attacks have a chance to do X". Druids still melee, right? Has anybody on PTR been able to test this?

It has different wordings than Mongoose/Executioner, which explicitely state that the weapon has this chance.

Narshe
02-12-2008, 01:17 AM
This afternoon I will try to log in PTR and test this one if I can buy or find someone to do it.

Grabmill
02-14-2008, 05:34 AM

b) sounds like a very viable option to me.

jlafleur
02-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I'll be carrying a weapon around with this on it for sure. This is an incredible enchant for caster heavy fights like Shaffar in Heroic Mana Tombs. Thunderclap is worthless in that fight. So even if it doesn't stack, I'll take a 15% reduction in damage.

Radhja
02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Mental Playtime...

Imagine the Thunderfury proc, Thunder Clap, and Deathfrost all stacking on the same target...

Yeah, it'll never happen. Blizz isn't that generous.

(I hope I eat these words...)

Cairn
02-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey dude, don't forget, at least 80% encounters are immune to increase casting time .... maybe working but i 'm pretty sure this enchant don't increse the casting time on boss like Aran, Leothras or something like a caster...

My unique question is : work with druid ? proc rate ? +spell ?

Katos
02-20-2008, 12:33 AM
It won't proc for a druid.

I think you're wrong here. Much like equipped items, I believe if it says, "chance on hit" it will not proc, but if it says, "chance on melee attack" there's no reason it shouldn't proc. Item's like the Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom and misplaced servo arm will proc in shifted forms because these are not 'chance on hit' but rather equip effects. I'd assume this enchant would work in a similar fashion due to the way it is worded.

Though I can't be certain about that of course, however I agree with the statement that this enchant is likely a tank enchant for those warriors without imp TC, feral druids and prot paladins. It seems to be the only viable use for it. Also the proc rate will have to be excessive if the enchant would be worth anything. If it doesn't proc a lot and it's duration remains as is, seems to me that it'd be garbage.

Signu
02-22-2008, 05:09 AM
If they can fix sharpening stones and weightstones to work while shapeshifted, I imagine something like this will work, too.

Heartwood
02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
"Permanently enchant a weapon so your damaging spells and melee weapon hits occasionally inflict an additional 150 Frost damage and reduce the target's melee, ranged, and casting speed by 15% for 8 sec. Requires a level 60 or higher item."

Here's my thought as a Prot Warrior with limited AoE tanking:

I wonder if the ticks of Rend, as my ever so humble low-dps DoT, would qualify as a "damaging spell" proc'ing the +150 damage for a given tick and the speed reduction. If so, I could see throwing a quick Rend onto mobs for the threat gen from the damage and the decreased dps output debuff. This might be a decent addition to TC in multi-mob situations.

-Heartwood

Kazeyonoma
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
if ptr is back up i might check on this tonight, I have access to both alliance and horde chars, so let me know if someone wants to test.

Heartwood
03-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Any luck on the testing?

-Heartwood

Taelas
03-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Given that it says 'melee weapon hits', this enchant will almost certainly not work for druids.

ebs2002
03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
They must have changed the wording. When this was first posted, it didn't say anything about "melee weapon hits".

Ah well, that sucks for druids.

Cairn
03-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Confirmed on PTR by me : Don't proc for druid , need weapon or spell ....

Procrate similar to Mangoose , maybe little more , more testing next day ( after work ... )

Ethoz
03-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Mental Playtime...

Imagine the Thunderfury proc, Thunder Clap, and Deathfrost all stacking on the same target...

Yeah, it'll never happen. Blizz isn't that generous.

(I hope I eat these words...)

And the AQ40 set? Maybe going little offtopic but does the buff stack with other slowing effects? Could make an OT to wear it make him enchant the weapon, suck all the fun out for him but make one happy MT. And the +50% TC dmg makes it pretty good for heroics and such for people just overgeared for the current instances.

Clifford
03-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Related question: Does +spelldamage gear or enchants stack with thunderclap?

Zacch
06-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Related question: Does +spelldamage gear or enchants stack with thunderclap?

No, thunderclap does physical damage. ^^

mustangofold
06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Now that this thing is live, has anyone come up with some new data on it?

Ie:
PPM or % rate
Does spell damage increase the amount of frost damage it inflicts? If so, by what % of spell damage?
What raid bosses are immune to the effect/partially immune to the effect?
Does it have a threat value from the slowing effect? Is this threat independant of the frost damage?

Sorry, but I have a lot of warrior OT's that think Sundering armor or (imp)TC would not help the raid since it would lower their personal DPS :confused:. I got the chance to get it on my Main (threat) weapon last night, but have not been able to test it at all. I am sold on it for my Avoidance weapon though.

Had a chance to use it last night... seemed to work on everything in up to the 3rd boss in ZA, but not very often. Did not remember to run a proc tracking mod so no hard numbers. Seemed to be pretty low proc rate, even with me spamming consecrate/holy shield/seals/judgement. Also much lower threat than +40 spell damage, and did not seem to gain any bennefit from +spell damage. Very disappointing enchant.
Must be a new toy for the DK's when they go live...