PDA

View Full Version : Odd weapon Choice

Lionheart
02-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I know it isn't normal for a tank to use a dagger as a main hand but in looking for a good fast weapon for tanking i stumbled across this and wondered how it stacked up. Not overly worried about maxing out everything as unless i develop alot more free time and decide that raiding is the way i'll go Kara is probably my endgame for the time being. That said would The Night Blade be a good choice for a weapon assuming that its proc would stack with that of sunder it would drop mobs armor by 3700+ by the time sunders and proc stacked up. Throw on executioner you would be basicly riping the armor off anything other then a plate mob or boss. The only other option i have seen that looks promising would be s1 pvp weapon but seems kinda slow for tanking. Been working on getting a sun blade but luck hasn't been kind to me with that, and drop rate seems pretty horable even as listed.

So what do you think and would the proc on this thing help generate more threat much like sunder does.

Thottbot World of Warcraft: The Night Blade (http://thottbot.com/i31331)

Ceravantes
02-09-2008, 03:52 PM
the night blade was nerfed and is near worthless now, the proc ahs a hidden cooldown of a minute now, iirc. Also, daggers are normalized differently than swords/axes/maces, so htey are nowhere near as good for tanking.

Lionheart
02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
thats good to know.

Hypatia
02-10-2008, 01:55 AM
*nod* Before Devastate, daggers could be a pretty solid choice for a tank. Nowadays, they don't get much play from any warrior. About the best scenario I can imagine for them is as an off-hand for DW prot DPS, since we tend to get more damage out of HS + Devaspam than including WW in the rotation. (Which means the loss of WW off-hand DPS to normalization isn't that big a deal.)

Ekarderif
02-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Whirlwind is a better DPS attack than either devastate (higher DPS, better damage/threat) or heroic strike (higher DPS, better damage/threat, better damage/rage). The only thing daggers are useful for is execute spam.

Hypatia
02-10-2008, 10:57 AM
There are two reasons I think that leaving WW out might be helpful. In a situation where you’re actually doing enough DPS to approach the threat cap, WW is clearly the better choice, I will admit. But Devastate definitely gives better damage/rage when rage availability is limited. Heroic Strike, I'm less sure about. Even with 3/3 Improved Heroic Strike, you can expect HS to cost almost as much rage as WW for what seems like a tiny amount of damage. However, you have the additional effect that HS turns your MH attack into a yellow attack, which reduces its chance to miss. If you have aimed at the amount of +hit needed to cap yellow hits, removing the additional chance to miss might make up the difference.

*compute compute*

Okay, it looks to me like the improved hit chance with HS definitely won’t make up the difference. I retract my earlier statement, as it appears that WW is always beneficial to a prot DPS cycle, unless rage is limited enough that you should use nothing but Devastate.

ebs2002
02-11-2008, 09:50 AM
A fast dagger is better than a slower axe/sword/mace when you can HS 100% of your attacks.

Edit to include: This is in reference to threat tanking, not DPS.

Grabmill
02-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Indeed, a fast dagger *could* be worth using. However, the dagger in question here is way too slow to be of any use.