PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Resistances

Hargael
02-08-2008, 04:27 AM
Hello guys

Last week my guildmates and I were having troubles on first boss of Arcatraz (heroic) because of our small shadow resist. Then I realized that I had many questions about resistance and how it really works. Some of these questions are really simple (newbie point of vue) but it could clear my thoughts on this subject. Assume a boss needs big resists:

- I read armor class doesn't reduce magical damage. Can I wear less than plate ?
- Do we need to stay uncrittable (with 490 defense for example) ?
- Can I parry or block a magical melee attack ?
- Does shield block reduce magical damage ?
- Resist and stamina are the only important stats for this type of fight ?
- Examples of bosses who need real resist set ?

Thank you for answers

Satrina
02-08-2008, 06:00 AM
- Yes

- It's a good idea if the magical damage is from a melee source. NPC spells such as fireballs and shadow bolts cannot crit, however.

- In general, if the attack is a melee attack that deals magical damage (as from an elemental) you can dodge and parry it, but not block it. If it's a fireball, shadow bolt, or whatever you cannot dodge, block, or parry. There are rare exceptions to both, but those are the majority cases.

- If you can't block it, you can't reduce its damage

- Usually

- Hydross the Unstable, Anetheron, Mother Shahraz. Not much before Hydross in TBC. The MT is not necessarily the one who needs the resist set, mind you.

Hargael
02-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks Satrina ! It makes it clearer than before.

Another question, maybe the last one. During the fight against first of Arcatraz, I used shield block, didn't know if it could work or not. And in my combat text (I use Parrot) I saw several times a small amout of damage blocked. Is it a bug from my UI ? or this boss does some physical damage ? or another reason ?

Dany
02-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Since the only reason to use shield block on a lvl <= 72 is to remove 300-600 damage per hit for 10 rage, I don't think it's really usefull unless your healer is sleeping ^^, especially if you're rage starving, which is often the case in 5 men.

Anyway, I'm not sure that the first of arcatraz do elemental damage or normal physical hits. The black holes and the nova is shadow spells, but its hits, I'm not sure.

Ceravantes
02-08-2008, 08:45 AM
There is not any situation outside of 25 man raiding that currently requires resist gear to complete, especially not shadow resist as an actual set is unavailable until Black temple. In truth, you are quite possible hurting, more than helping, if you are stacking resists in a heroic/5 man instance.

In response yo tour problem witht he boss, more than likely you are wiping to him due to the AE damage he does, which can be avoided by
a) Ranged dps and healers standing 34 yards+ away to avoid the shadow nova
b) When Seed of Corruption is cast, having whoever it was cast on move away from the rest of the group, if you are the one to get it have your melee dps move away

The real issue here is not resists, its people not paying attention or not being able to react quickly enough, there is no work around for this and no amount of resist gear will help it, find new players to run instances with if it remains a problem.

Ciderhelm
02-08-2008, 08:49 AM
WoW -> Info -> Basics -> Resistances (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/resistances.html)

That's why we don't have a guide on resistances; Blizzard has posted details on it's basic mechanics already. Adding this only for people who search for this info and find this thread. :)

Hargael
02-08-2008, 09:24 AM
There is not any situation outside of 25 man raiding that currently requires resist gear to complete, especially not shadow resist as an actual set is unavailable until Black temple. In truth, you are quite possible hurting, more than helping, if you are stacking resists in a heroic/5 man instance.

In response yo tour problem witht he boss, more than likely you are wiping to him due to the AE damage he does, which can be avoided by
a) Ranged dps and healers standing 34 yards+ away to avoid the shadow nova
b) When Seed of Corruption is cast, having whoever it was cast on move away from the rest of the group, if you are the one to get it have your melee dps move away

The real issue here is not resists, its people not paying attention or not being able to react quickly enough, there is no work around for this and no amount of resist gear will help it, find new players to run instances with if it remains a problem.

I only have a fire resist set for few situations like farming fire elems. The main problem on this boss is that healers are often stuned by the nova and take too much damages. They have to work on this :)

And I can't change my group, it's the only one of my small guild :D

Ceravantes
02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
If your healer is being hit by the nova he is standing to close, there is only a 34 yard range on nova, and unless they hotfixed healing range since I logged off last night it is more than 34 yards.

Grabmill
02-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Another note: I think the heroic bosses are level 72 only, so you wouldn't need 490 defense to be uncrittable.

Furthermore, I would also use the shadow res set on the first boss in Mana Tombs on heroic.