PDA

View Full Version : Expertise Silliness

Bigbuns
02-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Hello all,
I've been catching some flack from my fellow warriors about being such an expertise whore, and would like some input on what kind of situations would require me to dump expertise in favor of more survivability. I am in full kara gear, just getting started in Gruuls and SSC:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Malfurion&n=Bigbuns

After dieing horribly to Prince far too many times I decided to equip every bit of expertise that I could get my grubby hands onto, and was amazed at how much easier the encounter became. Moving into ZA tho, other warriors have been asking why I am wearing such crappy gear... When/where should I start removing my beloved expertise gear?
Any input is welcome please.

Taelas
02-07-2008, 02:41 PM
There's absolutely no reason you should. Expertise is *good*.

Ariedan
02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Expertise is both threat and avoidance. What's the deal?

Esillymidget
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
If you feel you tank better with high expertise, then absolutely you should stick to that.

Caulle
02-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Hello all,
Moving into ZA tho, other warriors have been asking why I am wearing such crappy gear...

If they think expertise is crappy, they're probably not very knowledgeable of the warrior class in general.

ebs2002
02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm currently wielding an axe for my racial bonus (+5 expertise), I have defiance (+6 expertise), and wearing the badge bracers (22 rating, +5). I'm gunning for the Lower City rep ring and Badge Neck for even more expertise.

Now, if you're wearing leather because it has expertise, or a weapon that isn't min. level 70, then I could understand your guildmates complaining. Otherwise, you should try to get every piece of expertise you can, and maybe (a big maybe) only stop gearing for it once you've reached -5% dodge (me, I'd still wear it for decreased parries for many fights)

SuperFlounder
02-08-2008, 11:30 AM
You should gather every bit of expertise gear possible, you will be glad you have those options when necessary. However, I would say that if other tanks are giving you crap for lousy gear, (right now you're in pvp stuff), you might want to seriously look at the gear you have, EH and all that. It could be that the expertise made the difference in the Prince pulls, it certainly would have let dps open up more on him, but it just as easily could have been healers wising up, etc. You wouldn't know unless you saw the SW stats for the fights and compared.

ZA is a very healing intensive instance, since everybody is taking damage, and healers tend to die easily. Make sure expertise items that you use for tanking, still have high EH components to them. Despite the timed component of the zone, its a healing, not dps challenge for guilds in Kara gear. Despite the mitigation functions of expertise, I would only wear the badge bracers and neckpiece, and perhaps grom'tor's charge(assuming you are an orc, and even that's pushing it) in any ZA boss fight. Even then, those would be justifiable choices (according to boss and gear options) in my opinion, not necessarily the best ones.

ebs2002
02-08-2008, 04:06 PM
As an orc starting in ZA, do you think Grom'tor's Charge better than Warbringer because of the boosted EH? I'm sorry for the slight hijack, but I banked my Charge when I got the warbringer and haven't looked back since (my threat and DPS has shot up, even if my EH went down a little).

Arrivan
02-08-2008, 04:41 PM
18 stam and 7 agi vs 14 DPS, 7 hit rating and 3 defence rating. I'd say Warbringer wins because your weapon has the biggest impact on your threat. You can make up the EH elsewhere.

SuperFlounder
02-11-2008, 11:11 AM
I would say that the trade off you made is really quite worth it. While EH is very important, you can make the stam vs threat trade off in other areas of your gear if necessary. There are some fights in ZA, such as ZJ, where you can't risk losing any threat, since he's not tauntable, and resets agro. There are other fights, however, where you'll be getting handy boosts in threat over your other dps by them having to focus elsewhere so you can help the healers out a bit. However, if helping the healers out is paramount, you might want to consider switching in the Suneater or Kings Defender for the sake of argument, but that would kinda destroy the purpose of this post I guess.

Since you can change weapons midfight, I'd say switch them mid fight as necessary.