PDA

View Full Version : Windfury/Parry

ltitans
02-07-2008, 12:31 AM
So my guild was doing Mother tonight. We have been farming her for a good 3 months. Although tonight we brought in a lesser geared tank, but he had already tanked Mother before. There were attempts where the tank would almost instantly die. I tried to explain to my raid leader the importance of parry and how it can increase the overall damage on the tank. My raid leader eventually got frustrated and made me tank it, but even when I tanked it I got worked pretty hard until I noticed I had windfury on.

After a little bit of research I expressed to my raid leader how the addition of windfury and 2 other people possibly parrying the boss could cause massive damage on the tank. But he brushed it off and said that windfury or parry wasn't the issue. Is there any empirical data present that could possibly convince my raider leader otherwise?

Uruz
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
If you run WWS (WoW Web Stats) you can look over a full parse of the combat log to see exactly what happened.

Hypatia
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
WF + two extra parryable people (who probably don't have high expertise in that gear) sounds like a recipe for disaster. Using WF on a boss that is dangerous when parry hasted with just *one* tank standing in front is a bad idea.

Logs from WWS or the like are very very helpful. Another tool to use is something that provides logs of what happens just before death, such as Grim Reaper or Assessment. These tools can let you very quickly check over what went wrong (healing dried up? Sudden burst? Standing in the **** fire again?) when somebody dies. It's not as detailed as a full WWS parse would be, but it's easier to check during the raid.

In a death log, the thing to look for to identify parry gibbage is when the boss is swinging. Note, however, that lag can mess up the timestamps on this.

Cairn
02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
WF = Threat Encounter
Agility = Avoidance Encounter

Mother is not a Threat Encounter...(or u have problem with ur Threat )

Trainwrex
02-11-2008, 05:20 PM
can someone explain:

"WF + two extra parryable people (who probably don't have high expertise in that gear) sounds like a recipe for disaster. Using WF on a boss that is dangerous when parry hasted with just *one* tank standing in front is a bad idea."

Cairn
02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Boss parried : +50 % speed attack next swing but u can gain multiple reduction

Considered :
boss attack speed : 2s
tank attack speed : 1.5s

0% boss parry
Combat tank hit : 100 hits
Normal boss hit :75 hits

With 5% boss parry
Combat tank hit : 100 hits
Normal boss hit +parry (5) :77 hits

Now include 3 tanks and WF ( proc 20%)
Combat tank hit : 100 hits +100 hits +100 hits +60 WF hits( 20*3)
Normal boss hit+ parry (18):84 hits

U are taking + 6.75% hit (not damage because u can parry/dodge/block)