PDA

View Full Version : Hit rating and our various taunts

demog
02-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Does anyone know how exactly hit rating affects the chance of our taunts getting resisted?

In my "base" gear i have around 70 hit rating, and it appears to me that it's very rare that my taunts get resisted on trash mobs - and i got a feeling that my melee attacks miss more. Can that really be true? Or should it be the same?

And what about bosses? Obviously i rarely need to taunt those, so my sample case isn't as big as for trash.

Yesterday i wiped our raid at magtheridon right at the start - My channeler resisted my taunt, my autoattack was dodged, and my devastate missed. Just as some healer on the other side of the room got off a big heal. And i was too slow to hit challenging shout. Major QQ.

Finelle
02-04-2008, 04:49 AM
If I recall correctly, the channellers counts as Boss mobs, which means that they automatically have at least 9% (143 hit rating) to resist taunt. I don't know if they follow the Spell Resist or Melee Miss mechanic, but it's possible that you did not notice the difference between the nonboss trash and the "skull-level" encounter mobs.

demog
02-04-2008, 06:34 AM
If I recall correctly, the channellers counts as Boss mobs, which means that they automatically have at least 9% (143 hit rating) to resist taunt. I don't know if they follow the Spell Resist or Melee Miss mechanic, but it's possible that you did not notice the difference between the nonboss trash and the "skull-level" encounter mobs.

Yeah, the channelers are bosses.

In case it's based on the spell system, base chance for taunt to be resisted is 13%. I don't think it's likely that it's that high.

gyre
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
mocking blow ftw :)

-- gyre --

Leytur
02-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Since they tied taunt to melee hit I can't imagine it being anything OTHER than 9%.

Pagezero
02-04-2008, 03:46 PM
In case it's based on the spell system, base chance for taunt to be resisted is 13%. I don't think it's likely that it's that high.

Where did 13% come from? For casters the chance to miss for spells against a 73 boss is 17% and spells always have a 1% miss rate so casters try to get to 16%.

I agree that 17%, or even 13%, seems way to high for taunts resist rate.

Rak
02-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, 5% pops into my head solely based on the old Dreadnaught set bonus. I thought that was enough to make taunt never be resisted on the Four Horsemen? Beyond that I have no idea.

Xav
02-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Taunt is based on the spell hit mechanics now, so it has a 17% chance to resist vs boss-level mobs. The only difference is that melee hit rating counts towards this chance to land the ability, not just spell hit.

I'll have the source edited in to this post shortly, but someone did in depth research and reported it on EJ. Currently EJ is loading quite slow for me so I can't find it right now.

Edit:

2.3: Miss rate vs Boss mobs? - Page 3 - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t18317-2_3_miss_rate_vs_boss_mobs/p3/)

Posts 65, 66, 71, and 74.

Nuberino
02-04-2008, 04:57 PM
interesting results from that EJ thread.

Tank
02-04-2008, 05:52 PM
My channeler resisted my taunt, my autoattack was dodged, and my devastate missed. Major QQ.

Use shield slam on pull instead of taunt, mocking blow is a good option as well if you have macro to stance dance.

Nikya
02-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Use shield slam on pull instead of taunt, mocking blow is a good option as well if you have macro to stance dance.

On Mag, I've found that it's always useful to open by popping Bloodrage when the countdown reaches 3, toggling auto attack and taunting when the pull begins and popping a Shield Slam right after. Basically, I try to generate threat on the channeler in all the ways that I can because if they all miss as happened to Demog, it wipes the raid quite often.

Tank
02-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Another point to take note is to do a countdown for all the tanks to get ready to start the channeler fight.