PDA

View Full Version : Diminishing Returns Removed from Honor in 2.4

Nez
02-03-2008, 12:42 PM
As posted on the Official WoW site by Drysc

As the PTR approaches we wanted to give everyone a preview of one of the larger changes for PvP that's currently planned for the 2.4 patch.

Currently, diminishing returns are applied to all honorable kills. What diminishing returns mean for honor is that each subsequent kill of the same target will reward you with less and less honor; 10% less per kill to be exact. One of the major downsides to diminishing returns is that the calculations, for potentially hundreds of thousands of players, is too intense to do real time, so they are calculated during off-peak hours. This in turn requires that the honor you gain be temporarily displayed as "estimated" until the calculations are run. It's a system that we've certainly improved (moving the calculation from weekly to daily) but still always disliked. It creates a very uninteresting and sometimes aggravating or confusing detachment from your achievements and the actual reward.

The reason for diminishing returns has always been to avoid the potential exploitation of the honor system. As the game has evolved, especially the honor and battleground systems, exploitation of the honor system now without diminishing returns would no longer be considered a lucrative alternative to simply participating in a battleground normally. We've also greatly improved our ability to monitor and track exploitation of this nature.

We've reached a point where we're now confident that applying diminishing returns to honor is no longer necessary, and we're currently planning to remove it with the 2.4 patch.

With this change we’re including a few restrictions as well though: Players that have the resurrection sickness debuff will not be worth any honor, and if a player dies 50 times or more during a battleground they won’t be worth any honor for the remainder of that battle.

What the removal of diminishing returns means for you is that as soon as you defeat an opponent that rewards you honor, you will receive that honor, and you will be able to spend it right then. There will no longer be an estimate, and you will no longer need to wait until the next day until you can actually spend it. Your achievements through honor-based PvP will be instantaneous.

LINK TO THREAD (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html;jsessionid=9510622D9033C465884B288454E 87D90?topicId=4311144220&sid=1)

Kazaganthi
02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Confirmed...very very good news..:)

Arrivan
02-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I can see premades graveyard camping pugs a lot longer in WSG in particular now. However it is good to hear that honour will be immediately spendable, and it will make turtled AV games a bit more profitable honour-wise.

Ciderhelm
02-03-2008, 08:46 PM
This is nice!

Finelle
02-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Very. It means that my hunter will get resil faster and end up getting gibbed less. At the moment, my priest teammate can't get off a manaburn. She sneezes, and I go splat.

Kazeyonoma
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Ahhh, my 5 man av's where we get 154 honorable kills and win the game will be epic'Er? now.

WOOT.

;D

Seth
02-05-2008, 09:15 AM
As far as AV games go, this just rewards the turtlers while punishing the people going out and doing the objectives.

I also see little reason why I shouldn't just honor farm by graveyard camping warsong all day now.

I think it'd be a better change to go back to the old 4 kill DR system and make it clear that doing objectives in battlegrounds is what is intended.

Kazeyonoma
02-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Well no, see in AV, turtles don't necessarily drag out games, nor does it punish people. Doing objectives by capping towers yields fast bonus honor, which in turn ends games faster due to lowered reinforcements, and you can get faster honor by continuously winning AV's over and over again. the problem was that people who were defending, didn't see much reward anymore like in my case, where we each racked up over 150 HK's by stomping out the alliance at frostwolf. We'd have hugely inflated estimated honor, and in turn ended up only getting 2/3rds of it at rollover, that is really frustrating.

IN wsg I can see it being a problem, but in wsg, it was also a problem that in close matches (not farming based ones), there'd be no incentive to stay and finish. All the people in this BG have been killed 4 times already, no more honor, why even stay. /afk.

Seth
02-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Well no, see in AV, turtles don't necessarily drag out games, nor does it punish people. Doing objectives by capping towers yields fast bonus honor, which in turn ends games faster due to lowered reinforcements, and you can get faster honor by continuously winning AV's over and over again. the problem was that people who were defending, didn't see much reward anymore like in my case, where we each racked up over 150 HK's by stomping out the alliance at frostwolf. We'd have hugely inflated estimated honor, and in turn ended up only getting 2/3rds of it at rollover, that is really frustrating.

Yes, but while you are getting honor from kills, even at diminishing returns, while defending, the people on offense capping points get none of that honor whatsoever. On the other hand, you get full honor for all of the objectives the people on offense complete. Removing diminishing returns makes it so that it's much smarter to get kills and just hope someone else decides to win the game for you.

Daikyu
02-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Kills will still be divided amongst all friendly players in range, so it's still not an efficient way to farm honor.

Thankfully, 2.4 brings a number of considerable improvements to reduce the pain involved with farming bg's, the most interesting among them being the ability to preform AV's and the 45 s flag reveal / 10 minute countdown to increased damage on FC WSG changes.

Although the chance of getting completely steamrolled by full preforms increases as a result (fast losses aren't really a big deal, in my books), the amount of good that can be done by a partial preform with an actual plan has gone way up. Should be fun to see what happens.