PDA

View Full Version : Full prot/Impale

Giada
02-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Howdy, im just wondering if this is a good spec, it seems fantastic to me because of extra threat from higher crits, but i rarely see tanks as this spec so i may be missing something.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Li0x0hbZcZcE0cIzzbxst)

Any comments appreciated, sorry if ive missed something.

Ungar
02-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Maybe this is just my opinion but i don't know how long a prot warrior is going to last with imp shield block. I would be willing to be that you take a ton of crushings. Not to mention the fact that Last Stand will save your ass alot.

To me you have taken out 2 KEY pieces of the prot tree for a warrior to get a little bit of extra threat.

If your concern is with threat then you should look into either 1) increasing your +hit or 2) adding some block value gear. Probably some combination of both.

throw up an armory link and i am sure some other warrior can give you pointers as to where to head for gear. Bottom line though for me is that you are trying to get extra threat by giving up survivability.

Katos
02-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Its definitely a 5man / heroic spec as opposed to higher end raid spec. It's not bad but I'd make changes.

I currently am a prot warrior spec'd down to impale. Feel free to check out my armory profile at http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=The+Scryers&n=Katos

With this spec I've currently tanked all of Kara, High King and Gruul not to
mention nearly every heroic instance. I like it.

Anyway, suggested changes.

Suggested talents:
Improved Shield Block is almost a must and would be easy for you to get.

3/3 Thunderclap is almost a must as well.

5/5 toughness another great talent that you may want to consider

3/3 Heroic strike (though you have 2/3 so its not nearly as important as the others)

Talents to reconsider:
Tactical Mastery. Its great for stance dancing, but in most situations you need to stance dance your innate TM is enough. This talent is great for more of a hybrid build as opposed to an actual prot build.

Improved Revenge. Amazing for heroic dungeons. Thats about it. Its not necissary in normal 5 mans and a waste for 90% of raids.

1/2 improved taunt: Can't stress enough how much of a waste this talent point is. This point would be better spent for the imp shield block if nothing else.

2/2 Imp Shield Bash: Once again, it's not a bad talent but the fact that you have to be in melee range to get the silence off, other classes in most groups can usually handle that job. I personally rely on regular shield bash and concusion blow for my interrupting.

5/5 Iron Will: As nice as it sounds, once again its only useful for 5mans for the most part. I once had this maxed out in an earlier build. After running a few dungeons and still getting spam stunned and very rarely seeing this talent actually work for me, I respec'd and never regretted it.

Giada
02-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Thanks alot for the replies.

Turns out im a noob and didnt read the entire tooltip of imp shieldblock, i only saw the extra 1 second, not a extra block. Thanks.

Also could someone explain anger management to me and why its not crap, seems like a horrible talent to me.

Should also mention im only planning to run heroics/kara/za and maybe the occasional gruuls

ebs2002
02-04-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure why people like Impale so much, I think it's a horrible spec to go down for tanking because of the dot effect on Deep Wounds. Trap gets resisted and hunter is about to die, I get the mob off of him. If I crit and cause him to bleed, the hunter can't re-trap him.

Anything that can turn a tanks attacks into a dot effect is, IMO, not worth it.

furiog
02-04-2008, 08:00 AM
I've been using 17/3/41 lately, and i'm pretty happy with it. I usually try to use as little CC as possible (don't CC away my rage!) in heroics, so i don't mind the deep wounds automatic bleed thing so much. The threat boost is noticeable, esp. with feral druids doing dps or mongoose procs (crit ftw). I'm thinking about getting some gladiator gear to add crit and resilience to my heroic tanking set now, to get more out of impale when not raiding.

its also great if you get to be the dps / OT in ZA - impale + devastate + heroic strike spam in fury gear puts out some pretty respectable dps. With a pally tanking most of the trash in there (so your group can AoE trash and clear it quicker to hit the timer), warriors end up as dps for 75% of that place. This build helps there as well.

Leytur
02-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure why people like Impale so much, I think it's a horrible spec to go down for tanking because of the dot effect on Deep Wounds. Trap gets resisted and hunter is about to die, I get the mob off of him. If I crit and cause him to bleed, the hunter can't re-trap him.

Anything that can turn a tanks attacks into a dot effect is, IMO, not worth it.

Exactly. I had this happen.

Tarmon
02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
This spec seems to be good for heroics or 5 mans but sacraficing that much survivability is not worth it when MTing or OTing 25 man bosses.
Also if threat is an issue then gearing for more BV seems a better choice than speccing out of the defensive talent tree.

Kazeyonoma
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
fun spec for big shield slams, ciderhelm pioneered it, I tried it as well. its pretty but not truly functional. You can do it for most back content. but don't use it for progression fights.

Lunestone
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah I spec'd for impale just to try it out... and immediately my friend is like "that's dangerous with cc." Spec'd back the next day :-/

redneck6979
02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
I use a 0/0/61 spec and have no problems with anything

Kazeyonoma
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
although 0/0/61 is a strange build, I'd probably not recommend it to anyone, there are far better talents in the other 2 trees that you can reach easily than dumping all 61 points into protection, but to each his own.

Ciderhelm
02-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Kaze is more charitable than me. If you're 0/0/61, respec. If you need help respeccing, ask. That is not a good build.

Colon
02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks alot for the replies.

Turns out im a noob and didnt read the entire tooltip of imp shieldblock, i only saw the extra 1 second, not a extra block. Thanks.

Also could someone explain anger management to me and why its not crap, seems like a horrible talent to me.

Should also mention im only planning to run heroics/kara/za and maybe the occasional gruuls

You take 5/5 defelction, 2 pts in imp heroic strike, and 3 pts in imp thunder clap, then drop 1 pt in anger mgmt. You do this so when you are sitting around in between phases on quite a few raid encounters where you aren't getting attacked you are still building rage and not relying so much on your blood rage to come off cool down. I'll go down the list of encounters I've benefitted from having this. Hydross waiting on my turn during Nature phase, Lurker waiting for him to pop back up out of the water, Alar sleepily waiting for him to reach your platform, Vashj phase 2 while waiting on Naga, Kael all advisors until I tank Telonicus, Kael phase 5 while in a gravity lapse, Rage while he is death and decaying and I'm not standing in it, Eagle bosss when he calls out the lightning cloud, Dragonhawk when he sends out the bombs, Hex Lord when he's channeling spirits, Zuljin during his eagle phase when you need to dodge tornadoes, Supremus during his gaze phase. And to be honest I don't feel I sacrificed anything that important in prot to grab it, but I did sacrifice one point in cruelty though. But 1 point of free rage every 3 seconds to me outwieghs 1% more crit chance.

And as a side note, my dps warrior has 5/5 improve demo which is why I can afford to go for this build as our locks throw up curse of reck on everything with a pulse.

Taelas
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Kaze is more charitable than me. If you're 0/0/61, respec. If you need help respeccing, ask. That is not a good build.

Quoted for truth. It's not a good build.

If you are going to be a serious tank, use this (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LVZZoEtoI0zcxst) as a template. It has the most basic talents necessary for tanking (with the point in Improved Bloodrage being a filler to get down into the tree). In my opinion, you should at least have these talents (which makes an Impale build impractical).

adrenalize
02-08-2008, 06:25 PM

and this goes for any class of any spec! I have shadow priests in my guild who are full shadow, resto druids who are full resto etc etc. I can not think of a single build for any class this would be good for.

Taelas
02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Actually... There is really no reason for a Restoration druid not to be 0/0/61.