PDA

View Full Version : General Gemming Tips

Optimoos
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi all,

I've been reading these forums quite a bit over the past month or two, since before I was anywhere near 70 on my warrior. Getting back into the tanking game, haven't tanked since Pre-BC days, and I want to make sure I'm still doing it right. For my situation, this tank is an alt, which I use to MT extra kara and gruul's raids for my guild, and hopefully will be doing off-tanking for SSC/TK and beyond in the future.

Anyway, I have some questions regarding my gemming strategies, and upcoming upgrades.

First of all, when should I be filling an item with solid stars (as I understand it, the method to be followed for EH gemming), and when should I perhaps consider the socket bonus and use socket matching gems? As a backup/off-tank, should I be gemming for EH as the content I will see on this tank is mostly heroic instances and raid content that I'm familliar with?

Secondly, I'm trying to decide on my next badge upgrade. I currently have the lion-heart girdle and wrynn dynast greaves, and am pondering the iron-tusk girdle and unwavering legguards. I'm leaning towards iron-tusk first as I believe it's a bigger upgrade at this point in time. Comments?

Lastly, I'd love anyone who is so inclined to take a look at my armory and give me any other suggestions. Yes, my EGH is gemmed with green gems because I was expecting to replace it with a t4 helm relatively quickly (might even happen tonight in Kara) - just hasn't happened yet. Otherwise, thoughts?

All feedback appreciated!

Optimoos
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azgalor&n=Optimoos

Edhellin
02-01-2008, 07:12 PM
With 2.4 you'll be able to use multiple heroic badges (ie the +5 dodge/+6 sta and +5 parry/+6 sta) and i'd suggest using these along with solid stars and enduring talasites for any socket bonus that is stamina (ie. unwavering legs and ZA shield).

Iron tusk girdle seems like it would be a bigger up atm for you. But, I'd strongly suggest getting all of the badge items for tanking.

Armory suggestions:
All +12 sta in the helm.
All +12 sta in the shoulders.
Enduring Talasite over +12 sta for gun, BUT not a big deal w/ your current Def.
All +12 sta in the gloves.
All +12 sta in the pants.
Are those your only trinkets? One def and one sta/dodge/hit trinket would be better overall IMO.

As far as spec goes I'd drop Anger Mana and find a way to put 3/3 in Imp Def Stance, your healers will appreciate it.

Aelvain
02-04-2008, 07:10 PM
If it's mostly stuff like Kara and Gruul, you don't need any more health than you already have. Socketing for +hit is never a bad thing, I'd definitely recommend using an 8 hit gem in your gun for example, and since you don't really need any more health stacking threat stats will be more beneficial. Dodge, defense, and stamina socket bonuses are generally the more worthwhile ones, and they're easier to get in the 1 and 2 slot pieces. For you I'd probably gem the belt with 12 stamina and 8 hit rating. The auto-blocker is also a must have for every protection warrior.

And your spec is great, imp defensive stance is mostly useless for Kara and Gruul.