PDA

View Full Version : Kara - OT Warrior Spec

Hurtie
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
I am currently specced 12/5/44 so that I can MT, but pretty much since I have been going into Kara I have always been the OT to a Pally Tank. I am completely fine with this but I was tossing around the idea of going with a Fury/Prot build to help increase raid DPS while still maintain my OT spot. Something along:
Possible OT Build (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LZVV0VMxRVusZcEtoh)

Now note, the group I run with is all well geared and we have an easy time in Kara as it is, and I already do reasonable damage whereas I have a pretty good Fury gear set. Also note that I am typically the MT for Nightbane do to fears.

So my biggest questions are what will I have problems with with in Kara with a build like this and would I still be able to tank Nightbane?

Any input would be appreciated and thank you in advance. :D

Bonerot
01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
As a guild that farms Kara

I dps in full prot using the suggestions on this board. Get 9% hit, then strength, ap then some crit

Just spam devastate in zerker stance using whirlwind when you can.

I can't be switching back all the time as I MT the 25 mans but I like to let other people learn to tank in Kara.

I manage some respectable dps this way more then enough to justify coming. Some fights I totally own on too like shade & illhoof plus you are there lowering the armor on the mobs which helps your melee.

uraha
01-31-2008, 02:51 PM
For my 2, I would say drop a point in Last Stand, a point in Imp shield block, and a point in Defiance. This will allow you to pick up the 41 point talent in the Fury build.

I would also take two points in Unbridled Wrath and move them over to Imp Demo shout. If you are running with a heavy melee group and a warlock that is using CoR, I'd consider 5 points in Imp demo to compensate. If you have another DPS warrior with Imp Demo, this point becomes moot.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LZVf0VMxRVuqocEx0b)

Now that the fear mechanics have changed, having a paladin tanking NB shouldn't be an issue. The DPS may need to watch threat, but with either a tremor totem and/or a priest, the fears shouldn't be an issue.

Stytches
02-13-2008, 02:12 PM
This:0/31/30 (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LZVEzm0xoVZcEtou0z0x)
Has worked great for me as an OT spec in Kara.
The 10% 1h bonus, added crit, flurry, and sweeping strikes helps keep me up in the DPS charts even with large groups of trash mobs. I still have huge survivability and key abilities for Tanking when needed.

grevin
02-14-2008, 05:26 AM
the 0/31/30 build is good.... EXCEPT why a point in piercing howl? most of the mobs that youd want to use that on arent even affected by it. take that point out and put it in bloodthirst. itll up your dps in dps type situations and up your threat in tanking situations. and considering that you even have 3 points in tactical mastery... its absolutely rediculous you have a useless talent over bloodthirst. otherwise. its a solid build. honestly the 0/38/23 build is probably the best one posted. picks up a lot of the cool mitigation stats from prot and just about everything you could wish for from fury. honestly... if you have enough armor to support it ... i would drop the 5 ponts from toughness... less armor means less mitigation yes... but it also results in more rage in rage starved situations.... aka those situations where you need to be 2nd in threat. i would either put those 5 points in parry from the arms tree.... or get some more dps type points over in fury.

grevin
02-14-2008, 05:33 AM
uraha... you should prolly stick to dpsing. to break down all the problems with what you suggested... no last stand means no oh shit button when heals are thin. aka situations with a lot of spot healing. no imp sheild block means not uncrushable.... which means instead of a tank.. you have someone who stands a good chance of being one shotted. one point out of defiance means that you generate less threat than you should be while in defensive stance.. which btw... in defensive stance your not exactly rocking the dps charts here... so you need to squeeze as much threat as possible.... AND .... taking points out of unbridled wrath pretty much halts the only rage generation talent this build has.... so in essence... your build has.... no oh shit button.... is not uncrushable... generates piss poor threat... and produces crap for rage. .... ... ... ... do they bring you just for shouts? lawlz. congratulations. with that build... youve taken away everything a tank is supposed to be.

Stytches
02-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Hmm, just looked at the spec I posted.. Sorry I got it wrong, here's the spec I meant to suggest.. 0/31/30 (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LZVVzmLxoVzZcEtou0z0x).. I guess I should check my spec on armory before trying to build it in WoWhead, sorry bout that..

cael
02-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Heres the thing really there should only be 2 choices:

1) Go dps

2) Go prot

I experimented in the same OT role as you in kara, and found with the hybrids I was more gimping myself and raid then choosing one or the other. Since you said your raid is well geared, and I assume most Kara is on farm, you should go fury. If you have a really solid tanking set you can take the boss hits where you need to have two tanks, but will be able to do serious dps in those other fights. The key to OT when your fury/arms build you need to tell your dps that they need to watch their threat as it is really hatd to keep the threat up with dps spec.

Stytches
02-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Heres the thing really there should only be 2 choices:

1) Go dps

2) Go prot

I experimented in the same OT role as you in kara, and found with the hybrids I was more gimping myself and raid then choosing one or the other. Since you said your raid is well geared, and I assume most Kara is on farm, you should go fury. If you have a really solid tanking set you can take the boss hits where you need to have two tanks, but will be able to do serious dps in those other fights. The key to OT when your fury/arms build you need to tell your dps that they need to watch their threat as it is really hatd to keep the threat up with dps spec.

So basically spec to MT or go Arms/Fury and hold mobs till the MT pulls em off ya?

hbombs
02-15-2008, 09:53 AM
go 17/44 full fury spec. for moroes and the random trash your tanking just put your tank gear on. dps has to hold back a little bit but you will speed up the overall run.

tehgreen
03-14-2008, 04:52 AM
go 17/44 full fury spec. for moroes and the random trash your tanking just put your tank gear on. dps has to hold back a little bit but you will speed up the overall run.

as above, I haven't run kara with a full time off tank in like 3 months (t4/badge gear) its nice to have a dps warrior with tank gear for a few pulls namely:

- moroes (but this is optionally its certainly not overtly hard to just heal through)
- the trash that ice blocks the top aggro person leading up 2 opera (although in practice some nubtard mage will pull agro and kill themselves, u watch them do it)
- maybe the next trash packs right before opera, depending on your gear they can hit kinda hard.
- the two mob trash packs straight after chess, but as above easily double tanked depending on gear/healers/dps etc.