PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Mechan-Lord Capacitus

Tyriall
01-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Hello, everyone.

This is my first time posting a real question here. I would like to say beforehand that this site has turned me from a casual player at 50-ish to a great tank at level 70. Keep up the good work.

Here is my question: I have 495 defense, 14.5k AC, 12k+ unbuffed health. No this is not another "Am I ready for Kara". :)

My question is that with these stats, Mechano-Lord Capacitus last night hit me normal melee for 6592 (188 blocked) just out of the blue. Before this he had been averaging 1800~ melee on me the entire fight. Needless to say that my healer was getting away from a positively charged hunter and couldn't heal me in time after half my health disappeared and we wiped.

Is this normal? It seems odd that it was not a crushing blow and definitely not a crit but was such a high amount of damage after very consistent melee attacks. Thanks in advance for your insight, community.

P.S. I logged out in my ghetto DPS gear so my armory is not indicative of my real stats. I'll swap to tank gear when I get home from work.

Tyriall of Magtheridon US

Lilie
01-31-2008, 08:59 AM
If it was after 3 minutes into the fight he was enraged. He enrages at 3 and kills everyone :).

Dany
01-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi ! :)

Copy/Paste from thottbot:

"At about 4 minutes, He gains enrage, which basicly means he kills your group, hitting for 15,000 damage before armor. You need to use the Polarity to kill him before this happens."

Maybe your dps were too slow ?

Tyriall
01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the quick responses!

Yes, we lost our top rogue on the first polarity shift... We had him at about 12% when I went down.

I guess the only solution to this is a faster takedown. We had 2 Rogues, myself, a hunter, and a holy priest. It seems like Mech is not very melee friendly, especially on this boss since a bad shift can take both of them out of the fight temporarily.

Thanks again.

Lilie
01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Yea definately not melee friendly. I usually only go with one melee dps max (unless you really can't find any ranged) a mage and a lock, or a mage and a hunter. Having 3 ranged DPS is perfect too. The CC is super helpful for the gauntlet (sheep, icetrap, fears...) and a lock makes the midsection (pre-Mechano Lord), with the tinkerers, laughable (enslave tank/ banish). I have run this 15 times and counting for the Sun Eater :(. Its a fun one though. I have come to really love Septhera, actually, she is probably one of the most exciting fights I have run to date.

Tyriall
01-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Haha... well, we tried her once and decided to skip her. Those fire elementals are just plain nasty. Any advice on that fight?

Rayne
01-31-2008, 10:15 AM
We fight Mech Lord Capacitus on the stairs. As the tank I'm standing on the rail, rarely does anyone drop down to the floor when opposite charged, although it would give the healer something to do. This strat trivializes the bombs and our DPS is such that losing a DPS melee doesn't really matter.

We still wipe periodically on Netherea. Since I typically have 2-3 Shamans with me these days (don't ask) we usually gimp the fight by having the Shamans all toss their Fire Elementals. Definitely shortens the fight. Another trick we use is we deal with the first 3 waves of the gauntlet first, then do Neth, so if we wipe cooldowns are usually close to being reset for another run at her.

If we're not Shaman heavy all I can say is that we dance around a lot and do our best to burn her down. I miss the old days of pulling her to Pathaleon's room.

Arlana
01-31-2008, 10:18 AM
everyone kite clockwise.
keep taunt on Cd.
if she does knock you back or dragon's breath you while taunt isn't on her and on CD, then intervene her asap. If intervene is on CD as well, then stance dance and intercept, if your high on the meters to begin with a simple shield slam will claim your aggro quickly.
your not gonna be able to back up away from an elemental if it's on you, so it's almost pointless to move, once you see it hellfire then strafe away IMMEDIATLY and let your dps unload on her. This fight is rather fun unless you have a shaman/pally healer. Almost as fun as hexlord in ZA.

Tyriall
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

Rayne, that is the strategy we used on Capacitus and it worked fairly well... we had bad luck where I would get a posi charge and the two rogues would get a nega, so they would be out until the next charge which led to the enrage. We normally have rogue, lock, hunter, hpriest, and myself so in a normal makeup I don't think it would be an issue.

As far as boss 2, would fire resist gear on the DPS members make a big impact or would proper kiting/positioning without gimping DPS gear be more effective?

Sorry to veer this topic onto something else. :)

jlafleur
01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Capacitus doesn't hit hard before he enrages. I found it easier to just put on my pvp gear, get 5 devastates in and then swap to my max dps weapon (deep thunder) and just pour on dps while staying in defensive stance. Re-taunt as necessary. The more melee you have though the trickier it gets.

Leytur
01-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I read that melee can be oppositely charged and still manage to hit him just gotta be exactly at max range. Is that true?

Shortypop
02-03-2008, 03:13 AM
Capicitus has a huge hit box and you can definitely still hit him if oppositely charged to other melee. The main issue is keeping all melee within los & range of the healer. Once you have him positioned take a few steps back and you'll see how huge his hitbox is.

For the fire lady (can never remember her name). I (tank) wear a fire res set (250 or so with a pally aura), if the dps is low, one thing that works, if you can is get someone to off-heal - feral druid or someone. Each healer stays in one half of room and just burn her slowly. Recently we've taken to just nuking her, a pally healer can bubble out of the first add that tracks him. And everyone needs to be proactive about using healthstones/potions. Marking the healer with a target will help people realise if they are out of range of the healer and therefore need to do something themselves to help their hp.

CharlzO
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
^ Agreed. Just ran a rogue in the other night, and as long as you are on opposite sides of the boss, at max range of his hit box, you can both stay in regardless of polarity. Obviously, if the shift puts you both the same, step towards each other for the boost.

Lilie
02-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I'll throw these 2 cents in...

For Septhera (Fire Woman)...for some reason a lot of people don't realize (like myself until I was told :)) that you can strafe away from a mob and hit them at the same time. This is the way to kite her. Just strafe and hit with your normal rotation. You'll keep aggro (until she blinds you) and be able to escape the elementals much easier as strafing is faster than backwards.

Colon
03-06-2008, 04:52 PM
For fun and if you are confident your healer can keep you up. Go in full dps gear on him mine has about 230 hit and I dual wield. Then devastate and heroic strike spam the entire fight. Your tps should be about 1100-1200. If someone with the same charge buffs you, you will then see over 2000 sustained tps until the buff wears off.

Katos
03-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Well, melee can always beat on Mech lord regardless of charge. If they are same charge as tank, they run to the front. If opposite charge, side or behind work just fine. I even have my ranged, including healers, run to me when they have the same charge as me to greatly increase my threat so I dont have to worry too much about a resisted taunt.

Also on the first boss, you'll notice that he stands on a glass'ish platform and to get to where he wanders, you have to go down a tiny ramp. Make sure you tank him with him standing on the glass and you standing as close to the ramp as possible. What this does is those little bombs he summons can't go up that ramp, they bounce off it like a wall. Most of the bombs will bounce off the ramp away from you reducing the number of bombs you have to eat, though you still get unlucky some of the time. This also prevents your ranged from getting nuked in the face unless they are right there with you sharing charges.

As for the 2nd boss, the things you have to look for are her Dragon's Breath and her knockback. Both these abilities can and likely will make you lose aggro and she'll run off to hit someone else. She hits plate for about 1.5k max, but still hurts clothies for about 2.5-3k+ a hit. I tend to simply kite her moving backwards the entire time and will stop if the fire elementals are far away. When you can, tank her with your back to a wall. When you lose aggro, and you will, intervene/taunt asap. If taunt resists, aoe taunt. Tip: She is disarmable. So if for some reason you can't peel her off, disarm her until your taunt is back off cooldown. Make sure your team knows to run to you when you lose aggro. She's actually a pretty cake fight, but with an lower geared group, she may be tricky and possibly not worth it. (her drops are the exact same in non heroic if someone really needs something off her. IE: tanking chest)

Pathaleon is easy, but once again, lower geared groups can kill him, just takes a bit more effort/skill to do so. He aoe silences, does an arcane explosion, mind controls and summons adds. His physical hits are also a joke on plate, and once again only hits for maybe 2.5k max on plate (the trash hit harder than he does) Depending on group composition, assuming warrior tank, the first set of adds should always be feared. My suggestion to the tank is to toss a thunderclap out and then fear to help keep aggro on you after fears go off. Afterwards, control the adds with other aoe fears (warlock, priest, other warriors) novas, frost traps etc. Burn him down asap when he's low he despawns all the adds and enrages. If you have to, aoe taunt adds and burn shieldwall.

Tip: Pathaleon can also be disarmed. Disarmed, his max melee hit is about 500 damage, so pathetically weak. A good time to use it is right as he enrages. Don't forget to use last stand and shield wall if you know you're going to win, even if you really don't need to. He's the last boss, might as well take advantage of your abilities.