PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding VR Orbs

Celuna
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I was going through some old posts on our guildsite and found this little writeup I did back when we were still doing VR. I thought it might be helpful for guilds just starting to work on him if they were having problems with the orbs, so I decided to share :)

==================================

Alright, we seem to be having a lot of problem with this, so I made pictures! We want to spread out enough so that at any given time, only 2 or maybe 3 people MAX are affected by an orb, but not so spread out that it's hard to tell who VR is aiming for or judge whether or not you are about to get creamed by someone else's orb who was standing just a "little" too close.

In the following picture, we are in the start, somewhat "ideal" separation of people. It is encouraged to "buddy up" with one other person so that we can insure that there is 40 yards between the centers of each group. If you think about the room as a big clock, then there should be groups roughly at 12, between 1&2, 3, between 4&5, 6, between 7&8, 9, between 10&11.

http://ordoletalis.com/Images/VR_good.gif

If you wait until VR actually starts tossing the orb at you, then you and your buddy can run back away from center, wait for the exposion, and run back in with minimal time lost. Keep an eye on your buddy..he might be slightly ahead of you (especially if it's a healer in the back) and not seen the big "zOMG! Orbs!" bubble over your head and not realize he needs to move. Just a simple "Move, Buddy!" in vent should be sufficient. Remember we don't want to lag out the Mac-ites.

=============================

The following picture is what we are currently doing. We are "sorta" spread out, but because we aren't "buddying" we aren't able to be 40 yards away from the people next to us. This has the following problems:
1) the person next to the Orbbie might "think" they are far enough away but aren't,
2) people are so close it's hard to tell who and where the Orb is heading until it is too late,
3) people who's cameras aren't zoomed out far enough might not see the Orbbie's chatbubble at all.

http://ordoletalis.com/Images/VR_bad.gif

The other thing I wanted to show (and what I think is the main killer of our VR runs) is the fact that there is OFTEN a delay between the time your chat bubble tells you "Orb on me!" and when VR actually targets and lobs it at you. This is also the MAIN reason we want you to run in and out instead of sideways.

Stage 1: Chat bubble pops up, Orbbie runs, person next to Orbbie runs too

http://ordoletalis.com/Images/VR_stage1.gif

Stage 2: VR finishes lobbing orbs at the people in line before the Orbbie, targets Orbbie, and throws it. Note that Orbbie no longer has a chat bubble, so the unsuspecting victims don't KNOW an orb is heading towards them.

http://ordoletalis.com/Images/VR_stage2.gif

Stage 3: We either have a lot of people at low health, or maybe some outright deaths because all of those people standing there when Orbbie arrived didn't KNOW he's the bringer of doom because he moved before VR actually targetted him.

http://ordoletalis.com/Images/VR_stage3.gif

Does that help explain things better? There is no reason for us to wipe on VR at our current level of gear.

Clifford
01-30-2008, 04:18 PM
That is the most detailed VR write-up I have ever seen - great effort back when you did it :)

My only fear though would be that if people need that much explanation on how to run away then future mobility based fights will be really tough.

Cairn
01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Thx for the guide dude , great humor ^^

Celuna
01-31-2008, 02:02 AM
My only fear though would be that if people need that much explanation on how to run away then future mobility based fights will be really tough.

Maybe :)

At the point in time most guilds are doing VR for the first time, it is usually a Kara guild that has merged with another Kara guild, or it's a Kara guild that has gotten large enough to field 2 Kara's on it's own, so sometimes the last 3 or 4 people in the raid are not the most raid-savvy people in the world, but their DPS is still a much needed part of the fight to beat the enrage timer.

Sangi
02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Void Reaver Alarm works well too. Through I believe that people should have basic running away skills. They also should have basic "I'm standing in a flame/dark circle/smoking ground/pillar of light, I should move" skills too.

Unfortunately this isn't always the case :(.

Gorrack
04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Has anyone done VR since 2.4? HKM/Gruul/Magtheridon have proven to be "E.Z.Moade" and we are looking for some T5 Shoulders. I have been hearing rumors of VR not targeting people to do orbs but just doing them in a general direction, as well as orbs going underground.

veneretio
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Ya VR these days is definitely significantly harder than before since he doesn't actually target the people he's throwing orbs at anymore. You'll have to look upwards while fighting him and run if you see one coming near you. That being said after reliance on mods leading to a grossly slow 8.5 minute kill a couple weeks ago... when we went in the other day for another poke at him... we managed a nearly flawless 6.5 minute kill. Now granted this is a group of raiders in full t5 that have done over a dozen times, but regardless... it's doable in fact possibly its now as challenging as a T5 content boss should have been in the first place.

Anyway it's certainly not lootreaver in it's current state.

kittikat
04-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Has anyone done VR since 2.4? HKM/Gruul/Magtheridon have proven to be "E.Z.Moade" and we are looking for some T5 Shoulders. I have been hearing rumors of VR not targeting people to do orbs but just doing them in a general direction, as well as orbs going underground.
Just look up. The orbs come from his head. each person is responsible for their own actions now. No longer crutching on a single person with a mod to call out names.