PDA

View Full Version : Fathom-Lord Karathress (what worked)

Clifford
01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
We made our first attempt on him this weekend and killed him after a few wipes and a tactics change.

There seems to be two schools of thought - one advocating that Sharkiss should be killed first and the other Tidalvess.

I initially went with killing Sharkiss as I was concerned about his Viper Sting and the mana drain effect. We wiped using this approach until the trash was due to respawn. After a break I switched tactics, focussing on Tidalvess and this worked like a charm. We killed him with over 2 minutes to spare on his enrage.

Some tips in addition to the usual tactics:

Tank Sharkiss and Tidalvess next to each other but kill Tidalvess first.
Give the Tidalvess tank frost protection aura.
Use a grounding totem (can't confirm whether it worked but it seemed to).
Deal with the spitfire totem from the beginning of course.
One protection warrior (spamming heroic strike to free his cool-down) and a resto shammy were enough to interrupt Caridbis' heals.

Some of the benefits are:

There are more healers around to help out on the Tidalvess spike damage.
It gives the one tank enough time to build agro on Sharkiss and his pet. btw it seems as the pet can no longer be banished even if it is an elemental.
Additionally this approach should (but not checked) spread the Viper String around a bit.

Hope this helps someone reduce the number of wipes :)

Worldie
01-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Note that the elemental add despawns after some seconds and then the hunter would summon a new one, again either elemental or sporebat.

Sandmann
01-29-2008, 10:37 AM
we also kill the shaman first, but the hunter tank will pull his add out of the los to prevent getting oom. afaik ground totem works, we didn't use a frost aura though. also we normaly have a wl on the healer for the slow cast curse (cusrse of tounges is it?) really helps. after the shaman is dead the mt will move with kara from the intial position (where the whole group is at the pull) to the other side of the room let the totem spawn and move back to more or less avoid the totems nuking the tank & healers (heals will move in the middle and can sometimes out-los the totem/kara if they low on hp) worked quite well, its only realy hard if you have very few healers with you..

bludwork
01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
We got stuck on FLK for about 2 weeks. The strat didn't change that much except we brought an 8th healer and 4 pure tanks, instead of 7 healers and dps warrior tanking the priest.

The enrage timer on this boss is laughable, it's about healing through the incoming damage at the start of the fight. Killed him with 2mins to spare.

Horacio
01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
We got hung up on FLK and the holidays set us back significantly but we downed him last Thursday for the first time.

We did pretty much the same thing. Tanked the hunter and shaman together, killed the shaman first. Grounding totems eat the frost shocks, they are a big deal and very helpful. We put a tank and a mage (arcane w/ Slow) on the priest and it was enough to keep her from healing.

Tossing out the night we wasted 3 hours while unable to get the pull down, our biggest problem went from losing the shaman tank early to losing the FLK tank either at the transition (when FLK gains the totem) or during the kite. I broke my healing assignment and ran down to help there when they got in trouble.

Anyhow grats! Have fun with Leo.

Wrath
01-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Our Killorder is:

Tidalvess -> Sharkiss -> Caribdis -> Karathress

looks like this:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2278/karatachx7.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=karatachx7.jpg)

We have 2 Healers for the Sharkiss (Hunter) Tank which have got a Shadowpriest in their Group... they havent got any Manaissues with the SP regen...

Clifford
01-30-2008, 07:03 AM
We also went with 4 tanks and 8 healers just because I hate changing groups for specific bosses (it might be inevitable when attempting new bosses but so far it hasn't).

For healing we went with the following (based on WorldofStrats guide):
- Keep raid above 50% at all times as Karathress' shadow bolt randomly hits a raid member for 50% of max hp
- Karathress 1 Tank and 1 Healer
- Tidalvess Tank: 1 Tank and 3 Healers
- Caribdis Tank: 1 Warrior Tank and 1 Healer
- Sharkkis Tank: 1 Tank and 2 Healers
- Tidalvess Healers Healer: 1 Healer
- Caribdis interrupts: 1 Shaman and 1 Warlock (incl the tank)

At first, most healers are assigned to tanks; one healer is assigned to ensuring that the healers near Tidalvess stay alive when being attacked by Spitfire Totem. When Tidalvess dies, one of his healers should go assist in healing the Karathress tank; the other should raid heal. When Sharkiss dies, one of his healers should go assist in healing the Karathress tank; the rest should follow the raid to Caribdis and raid heal. When Caribdis dies, the Caribdis healer should go assist in healing Karathress' tank.

Shortypop
02-13-2008, 02:18 AM
After killing Leo (cheer) we went to see Kara last night, world-server decided to crash so we were down to 6 healers from our usual 7 (sounds like we'll have to rethink this number for this fight), but thought it was worth it to clear the trash and see the room. Ofc we wiped in seconds and then called it, as a dps dc'ed and couldnt relog :) Couple of questions from a tank pov.

1. Plan A is to go shammy-hunter-priest --- any advantages to assigning a feral druid or prot warrior (dont have any prot pallys) to the various adds. Prot warrior on the priest as an extra interupt, but the others?

2. I'm likely to be tanking Kara, what's the range on his totems? If I tank him where he starts and then move into the closest corner (near the exit to Moro) is that far enough? Or do I need to move all the way across the room to where the shammy was tanked (following Wraths diagram)? Related question - how long do the totems "live" for?

3. Does banishing the elemental still work, all the guides say it, but there seems to be some confusion as to whether it still works?

4. Depending on our tank numbers, which adds is it possible for a dps warrior (in tank gear) to tank?

Thanks.

Sandmann
02-13-2008, 03:13 AM
1. if you have a shami to ground totem the shaman tank you might choose a feral for him. hunter can be tanked by either, warri for priest is helpfull. normally i a prot tank tank kara but a feral should also be able to do so.
2.you have to pull him to the position of the shami, rinse and repeat. iam not sure about the lifespan of the totems but shortly after you reach the corner he will drop a new spitfire totem and thus despawn the first, time to move again.
3.afaik, also he will spawn a new add ever now and then and then i might be the beast.. so be ready to tank the add
4. we normaly let an offtank tank one of the hunter adds or the priest

Clifford
02-22-2008, 02:56 AM
1. Plan A is to go shammy-hunter-priest --- any advantages to assigning a feral druid or prot warrior (dont have any prot pallys) to the various adds. Prot warrior on the priest as an extra interupt, but the others?

I can't think of any reason to have a specific class on any mob. If you use a prot warrior on the priest then tell him to spam heroic strike to keep his shield bash off gcd.

2. I'm likely to be tanking Kara, what's the range on his totems? If I tank him where he starts and then move into the closest corner (near the exit to Moro) is that far enough? Or do I need to move all the way across the room to where the shammy was tanked (following Wraths diagram)? Related question - how long do the totems "live" for?

I move him from one side of the platform to the other once the shaman is dead. At this stage I will normally have two healers healing me (i.e. one of the shaman tank healers moves to me)

3. Does banishing the elemental still work, all the guides say it, but there seems to be some confusion as to whether it still works?

Not in our experience

4. Depending on our tank numbers, which adds is it possible for a dps warrior (in tank gear) to tank?

You good possibly use a dps warrior on the priest as he would have a lot of time to build agro, assuming of course that he had some good gear as the priest dishes out a lot of damage.