PDA

View Full Version : What about off Tanks?

Melenkurion
01-29-2008, 07:30 AM
I see many guides on how to tank spec for max threat or raids or 5-mans, but nothing on how to spec to be an off tank. My current build is based on Veneratio's suggestions on his blog, but I would liketo hear what the rest of you say.

Marrick
01-29-2008, 09:04 AM
A guild member of mine recently went arms/prot to off-tank. He was previously OTing using a pretty typical full prot build and wanted to try and get a bit more utility. Armory is slow as typical for a Tuesday, so in short it's a 41/5/15. Gets everything necessary in prot to be able to OT effectively while giving a nice boost in DPS and raid utility. It's more suited to 25 man than 10 man as Blood Frenzy is going to see more utility the more melee DPS there is. We're doing strictly 10 man stuff at the moment, but he has Gorehowl and not great DW weapons, so Arms was more attractive for him. As usual there's around 5 points that can be moved to suit taste without really changing the build much. I'd probably go 2/3 Imp HS rather than Imp Charge for one.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Azjol-Nerub&n=Alduulf

I have better DW weapons than 2H and we're mostly doing 10 man stuff, so if I was to spec to OT at the moment I'd probably do some kind of Fury/Prot hybrid. The minimum 14 points in prot to be an effective OT make getting what I want in arms/fury very difficult. I'm leaning towards:
WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?0500030000000000000000005500005505012 05311002305011030000000000000)
The fact that I'm giving up Imp HS bothers me, but I really can't give up Imp TC since in my case I'd likely be tanking with a druid MT.

Jylina
01-29-2008, 09:47 AM
From my experience, if your guild is good enough to give you a lead time for threat or a misdirect, you can offtank with pretty much any spec you want so long as your gear keeps you uncrittable. I know many people who Offtank successfully with 17/44/0 and 33/28/0 specs, the trouble of course comes to situations where you're having to regularly tank raid bosses... but thats really not to big an issue as if you're regularly tanking them you might as well be full prot, or whatever your chosen tanking build is.

This is more of an application to 25 mans, but I was always able to successfully get through Kara with a 17/44 offtank, the only fights where it might potentially matter would be Attumen/Moroes if your not geared beyond them yet, and potentially netherspite.

If your gear gives you a natural 490 defense((read: without anticipation)) you can pretty much spec whatever you want for offtanking, your guild or group will just have to know that your threat will not be as high as a full prot warrior.

Mordigen
01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
True, you can offtank with any spec, and it will provide more benefits to your raid during boss fights that involve no OT to have more dps. Like stated make sure to have 490 def, or enough res to be uncrittable. If you are still progressing and in an offtank position, I would suggest sinking some points into prot tree just for the survivability. Last stand is pretty quick to get, and the improved shield block with help mitigate some damage as well. You could also get the extra def if you need, or want to move some gear around and maintain uncrittable. The extra armor is also nice to mitigate some damage. So if you put 12-17 points in prot that can add some nice mitigation and last stand.

When my guild first started Kara, we had 2 prot warriors, but as we got further in and stated getting better gear between the 2 of us, one respeced over to a prot arms mix.

Invisniper
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I usually MT, but when I want to OT this is the spec I go with and the reasons I go with it:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LZVf0VxxoVubZcEtoh0z)

This spec gives the main DPS skills in Fury (DW Specialization, Flurry, Precision, Bloodthirst, etc.) and still gives the main survivability skills in Prot (Anticipation, Shield Specialization, Toughness, Last Stand, Imp Shield Block, Defiance, etc.). I get Tactical Mastery for the improved threat of Bloodthirst in Defensive Stance.

Jylina
01-29-2008, 11:29 AM
I personally never liked the Arms/Prot or Fury/Prot builds, just from a personal standpoint, pretty much every progression raid I've been in on classes other than my warrior((ironic i know)) our offtanks have always been Feral Druids and fury warriors... with the exception of fights like Hydross where its generally a little easier to gear a second prot warrior for Nature or Frost. Not to say that Arms/Prot doesnt work because as the people who have used it have said it can... I just personally have found that theres really no need as an offtank to get them...

Stytches
02-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Currently I'm running 0/31/30 (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LZVVzmxxoVZcEtou0z0x) as my guild's off-tank. I've been able to off-tank The Huntsman for phase 2, Moroes, and main tank Curator without dropping, and that was the first raid with my warrior. Asside from that it's been quite effective in 5-man's. Battle grounds have also been nice with the added survivability and concussion blow.