PDA

View Full Version : Starting SSC/TK, need spec advice

Invisniper
01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
My current spec is 10/5/46 (as linked below) which I use for Kara and Gruul. However, my guild is moving into SSC and TK next week and I'm looking for more survivability. I'm currently geared and spec'd more for threat than survivability.

Current spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Li0cZVZbEtoI0dcxst)

Spec I'm thinking about: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LV0cZVZoEtoI0dcest)

My Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Invisniper

What do you guys think?

Cairn
01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
U have enough Def (def+resi) , a E.H gear , u can tank in SSC/TK , but for some fight u need more avoidance (17% dodge , outch ^^ )

For LootReaver , just maximize ur TPS ( +hit+SBV+expertise) .

I prefere 8/5/48 for tanking because some boss do magical damage ( Morogrimm, Hydross ( outch))

In conclusion GOGOGO SSC/TK ;)

Invisniper
01-28-2008, 09:53 PM
I can get my dodge to about 21%, but at sacrificing 1k health and about 1k armor. I'm yet to get the Boots of Elusion or Moroes' Trinket; Kara hasn't been too nice to me.

Grabmill
01-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Depending on where you're going, you could consider different specs.

For Void Reaver, I love my 3 points in Improved HS to stay above the DPS all the time (we've done him with 2 tanks and that worked fine).

Also, ask your guild what they plan to do first in SSC. If you go for the Lurker first, don't get Improved Def Stance yet. You won't get any magical damage in that fight (if you're smart enough ro dodge the Spouts that is).

Kelthrak
01-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I raid with a 12/0/49 spec, with full points in imp. HS and anger management. I put 2 points in imp. bloodrage. Instead of the 3 points in imp. defensive stance, I tend to put them into tactical mastery, but that's your choice and based on your play style.

Talani
01-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Just do what my old tank did when I was raiding SSC as my warlock, Get really drunk and remove your pants slot item then have at it. Most of the monsters there deemed him "impressive".

ttocs
01-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Honestly, either spec would be just fine.

I would agree with the earlier mentioned suggestions: Find out what your guild is doing first.

A lot of guilds first venturing into SSC/TK will do Void Reaver and Lurker first. Since Void Reaver does little magical damage to those in melee range (Poundings are physical and not arcane damage, right?), and it's a threat race for the 3 tanks, your current spec might be a bit better for that.

You can use that same spec to MT Lurker, too, because there's absolutely zero magical damage involved with lurker. The adds might have some magic, I don't remember - but overall it's negligible.

If you have the resist gear for Hydross, and you decide to do him, then Imp defensive will help out nicely. Alar, too, but to a much lesser extent.

Invisniper
01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
I've been toying with several specs over the last few nights: 8/5/48, 9/5/47, 10/5/46, 11/5/45, and the like, but I found that I simply can't live without Imp Heroic Strike. I feel my threat is gimped without it I use it so much.

I've changed my build to:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Li0cZVZoEtoI0zcest)

As far as what we're doing I asked and we are doing Lurker and Hydross in SSC (I'm the Frost tank. 17k Hp buffed, Resilience for 490 equality, 291 FR unbuffed. Dwarven Racial FTW.), but we're not doing TK yet. Personally I find that disturbing because I've been told that VR in TK is the easiest fight.

Edit: Is there a certain dodge I should be aiming for or is gearing towards EH usually the best solution for SSC? Right now I'm geared specifically for EH; 12 stam gems in every slot, stamina enchants (Except 2% threat to gloves), both rings with armor, etc.

ttocs
01-30-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure it matters much... fwiw, I had about 20-21% dodge going into hydross (I think), and about the same HP buffed.

Let me emphasize though, because it's burned us a few times: DO NOT turn your back to hydross! When you're transitioning, either backpedal, or turn to your side and strafe (preferred). Having your back to a mob, we've found, can get you non-resists, which means he'll hit you for 10K+ when you're trying to transition.

I say give it a try with what you have now. When I started I used T4 gloves + shoulders, and a sun eater... and theres a few other things, but my avoidance has steadily gone down the more I tanked him.

The general rule of thumb is for progression bosses, high stam + armor (in hydross' case, resist), seems to be the way to go.. I believe that's effective health... but don't quote me on that.

Edit: I'm somewhat torn on dropping improved shield wall, especially since you guys are in progression mode. Experiment with it, see how it goes. Just remember, a dead tank generates zero threat. :P

Invisniper
01-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Edit: I'm somewhat torn on dropping improved shield wall, especially since you guys are in progression mode. Experiment with it, see how it goes. Just remember, a dead tank generates zero threat. :P
That's exactly what I thought, but then I realized that I burn my Shield Wall on an attempt that looks like it's going well and then we wipe. And then the next 2 attempts I'm stuck without it. I am sad losing it though; 5 seconds for 2 talent points. WTB more talent points.

Nikya
01-31-2008, 06:27 AM
In my guild I share main tanking duties with a druid due to time constraints and the like. Anyway, the spec I use is: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Li0cZVZoEtoI0zcest)

I've had no problems with it; we haven't full cleared yet, so I might need to change it for later bosses, but I've had this spec since I chose to go prot quite a few months ago. As someone already mentioned, if you shield wall and still wipe, then you don't have it for the next few attempts. Improved Heroic Strike is key to aggro generation, especially in the beginning of boss fights when it seems like Devastate has a 15 second cooldown. Ditto on Improved Bloodrage. If I could have two more talent points, they'd go into Improved Thunderclap. I'd really like to put three points in it or have one of my offtanks do so, but I figure that any bonus out of my last talent point is useful. It also helps slightly in heroics. In the end, though, I think it depends on your role; if you're going to be MTing, 2/2 Improved Bloodrage and 3/3 Improved Heroic Strike are necessities imo.