PDA

View Full Version : How much crit while tanking in T6?

Wartorn
01-28-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm just starting to collect some T6 level gear and I was wondering how much crit you guys had fully raid buffed. I'm asking because I was looking into the Darkmoon Card: Wrath. Assuming items such as Madness of the Betrayer and Dragonspine Trophy are pretty much off limits, I'm trying to find the highest TPS trinket readily available.

Also up for consideration Icon of Unyielding Courage, bloodlust brooch, and AP/crit/LGG badge trinket.

Wartorn
01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
/bump

Anyone have any input?

Edit : Wrath should add ~3% crit.

Dany
01-29-2008, 02:35 AM
If you consider Icon of Unyielding Courage, maybe you could think about romulo's trinket though I don't know what's your hit rating currently.

Narshe
01-29-2008, 03:09 AM
I would try to farm Romulo's Poison Vial. It's one of the best aggro trinkets you can get.

There is plenty of info here: The Protection Warrior - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t18771-protection_warrior/)
I copy&paste the info regarding trinkets:

Trinkets

Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600 (59 shield block passive, 200 shield block on-use)
Approximately 9 TPS, with an additional 32 TPS during on-use

Glyph of Deflection (23 shield block passive, 235 shield block on-use)
Approximately 4 TPS, with an additional 37.6 TPS during on-use

Romulo's Poison Vial (2.22% chance to hit, plus chance to proc a poison)
Approximately 22 TPS, plus additional threat from proc

Icon of Unyielding Courage(1.9% hit, on use -600 armor for 20 seconds)
The "poor man's" poison vial. 19 tps + the proc.

Madness of the Betrayer (1.27% to hit, 84 AP, chance to ignore 300 armor for 10 seconds)
Approximately 23 TPS, plus additional threat from proc

Battlemaster's Cruelty (1.81% critical strike increase, 1750 hp for 20 seconds on-use)
Approximately 14 TPS

Dragonspine Trophy (AP by 40, chance to increase melee haste by 21.38% for 10 seconds) The proc offers nearly a 10% increase in threat when it is up (~100 TPS). The DST has an internal cooldown of 20 seconds. Assuming 1.5 ppm, you will get around 30 TPS from this trinket. 1.5 ppm is a slight over assumption for a protection warrior.

Many of these trinkets will simply not be obtained by a tanking warrior. These will often have a priority for other physical-damage classes in your raid. Therefore, the Auto-Blocker is one of the staple trinkets for the Aggressive warrior. Sapphiron’s Glyph of Deflection is not on a shared cooldown with the autoblocker. You can achieve ridiculous shield slam crits with 2 piece tier 5, autoblocker, Glyph of Deflection, and +block items and enchants.

Do not underestimate the value of seemingly weak items such as Romulo's Poison Vial. If you can make full use out of the hit rating that it provides, it is a very nice passive threat boost.

It is recommended that you use the threat calculator excel sheet with your own specific gear set to see the precise numbers by which each of these trinkets will affect your (ideal) threat.

This section will be updated as I find more specifics regarding proc rates of the appropriate trinkets.

Midgetmatt
01-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Wonder if the Glyph and Gnomeregan uses stack lol.

For TPS wise, I would try the Romeo's and Gnomeregan put together.

dorfwawwior
01-29-2008, 04:56 AM
With the trinket slot specifically in mind, I usually run Romulo's and Vengeance card in my TPS set. I aim for a BV of around 500, hitrating to achieve around 7.6% and as much expertise I can get without gimping my hp or reducing dodge parry to levels where I take too many hits.

Icon vs Romulo is a matter of preference I suppose and also weighs in your AP/crit and weapon you use as the armor pen obviously scales more if you have more AP/crit and a harder hitting weapon, ie a slower higher top end weapon vs a fast, low top end one. Also a passive vs a on use trinket, which adds in more situational awareness.

Other things I consider is the type of mob you are trying to get max TPS on. Low rage gen mobs, ie mobs that hit for nothing and you are solely driven by weapon rage, obviously would want to stack more AP/crit, hit, and expertise OVER block value.

Harder hitting mobs that pretty much guarantee you a 60 or greater rage bar, then you can utilize your full rotation which should include Slams and Revenges and qued HSs. This type of mob is where max TPS is achieved and from my experience it is pretty much anything that hits you for over about 3K dmg consistently. You don't want to take toooo many hits from these mobs so having a decent dodge/parry is good.

Another thing, you can tailor sets to just about anything you tank, and while it's probably more than you need to do, if you are that into tanking, I don't see why you wouldn't. I'm that way and I make sets for just about every type of boss, type of trash clear, etc, and I simply rotate keybindings per instance that is ran.

Tips from my experience. You can lower dodge/parry, and up block, BV, to ensure a more steady rage gen from incoming dmg. You will want to maintain safe HP lvl as well tho, so you aren't say bursted down from too many attacks.

Work with your healers! I know healers love a challenge sometimes, but some just hate it when they are like oom after a trash clear, while others love it. Find out what works with them as they are your driving force pretty much, sustaining you.

In the end, it's all experimenting. True, this game is all about mechanics, but hey it's fun, at least to me, to see the difference in what gear tuning can do. You want to your gear to your tank style, situation, basically.

Happy tanking.

Dugrin
01-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Wonder if the Glyph and Gnomeregan uses stack lol.

For TPS wise, I would try the Romeo's and Gnomeregan put together.

They stack, gives you some really big Shield Slam crit numbers.

Wartorn
01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Assuming I get full hit value from Romulo's (2.2%). Do you think 2.2% hit outweighs the effective crit gained from the wrath card?

Google Docs - Storms Deck Analysis (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pFhXjqHk-Dqd-FSGzvSdUbw)

@10% character crit adds 4.8% effective crit
@15% character crit adds 3.5% effective crit
@20% character crit adds 2.7% effective crit

Narshe
01-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Remember the added threat from Romulo's procs.

Wartorn
01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Remember the added threat from Romulo's procs.

Are you saying that Romulo's will out-threat the Wrath card?

You're in full T6 right? How much crit do you have fully buffed?