PDA

View Full Version : Movie of the Week- Jedden

Kazaganthi
01-28-2008, 07:41 AM
This is a very neat arena video. It features a viable, but rarely seen combo of resto shaman/warrior. What is cool about this video is that it is not the strongest combo out there, but these guys work as a team to make it to the top of their bracket.

Kaz

Kazeyonoma
01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
sweet, I'm partially teaming up with a resto shaman as well, he needs gearing but he listens so it might prove worthwile if these guys can do it.

I have a side question for you Kaz. What do you think of a 41/17/3 Build? I've heard random spurts of rumors here or there that in 2s, it generates enough rage to make it viable.

Kazaganthi
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Kaz,

I'm not a fan of any build that doesn't have enrage. I think it's way too good to pass up.

Kazeyonoma
01-28-2008, 01:15 PM
that's what I figured as well.

So what i'm trying to figure out in all of these videos is how is the shaman not running oom really fast? With my matches, it normally goes something along the lines of: "start off strong... bloodlust when ready for kill... if unsuccessful we're in big trouble. Shaman goes oom, and survives with his auto-healing thing, while I just pray for lucky stun/chain crits.

Especially against the druid/war teams he seems to be able to stay with lots of mana. Should he be dropping mana tide early on to just keep ticks of his mana up at all times? Its hard to see if the shaman is drinking in the video as often As I think he is. I wanna teach my shaman how to do well so we can hopefully just crack the 1850 bracket. Let alone gun for a top spot.

byechee
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
beyond getting ooc to drink, gear obviously helps a lot for your shaman's mana, both your gear and his (less dmg taken = less heals needed). hiding totems is also pretty key, the less he needs to recast totems the better off you'll both be. your shaman should also be trying to use a down-ranked HW whenever possible to keep both players topped for mana efficiency, and max rank/lhw when the situation calls for it. not getting mana drained also helps a lot.

if your shaman can stay on top of purges, against most matchups you can maintain solid rage generation even w/o getting hit, and with WF+heroism+enrage you can kill most anything.

Kazeyonoma
01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
yeh, druid matchups, we can normally burst em down because he helps with purging hots, and a well timed earthshock/frostshock when i'm going for the kill will spell doom. He just needs more gear (currently 180ish resil on him only, while i've got 349)

Ukyo
01-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Nice vid, i loved his Charge movie, but this is awesome, nice coordination on some points and awesome teamwork on others. Pretty awesome vid, and shows what good teamwork does in arena

Chisgule
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Warrior Shaman is pretty tough. I sold points with a shaman last season who I would argue is the best shaman I've ever seen. Without difficulty we achieved 2100 (for kicks we decided to just play our 2v2 instead of sell games. We went 27-1 and brought the rank from 1800 to over 2100 in one night). When we hit the 2200 range we started to face team combos that could almost completely shut us out, and we both agree that there's probably somewhat of a ceiling at 2300. And I mean there's always room to get lucky and go higher, but we weren't confident in the sustainability.

The key was that against most matchups, our shaman would become infinitely sustainable with <3kish HP left due to talents (I think it's Nature's Guardian?)

Of course, we're in a new season now = ) It's hard to touch a good priest-hunter team with sham-war.

proplop
01-31-2008, 02:56 AM
That was good to watch.

I noticed that in the fight vs Priest/Rogue, the warrior switched a lot from dps-ing on the rogue and the priest. Is there a reason why he does that or is it just to keep hamstring up or something?

Kazaganthi
01-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Prop I do the same thing in my 2s. Once you get that high, killing isn't your only job. You have to keep your teamate alive as well. A well timed intercept and keeping the rogue hamstrung can go a long way. Also if the priest is too focused on running from you, you can turn and kill the rogue easily.

Kaz

Seth
01-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Just to add to what Kaz said, keeping your partner alive in 2s is always the number 1 priority. Right now I play 3 toons in 2v2 arena on a regular basis, and on my lock and warrior I always tell myself at the start of each game, "Keep [healer's name] alive" x3. It helps, cause it's definitely something you have got to do. Even more important with a shaman healer, cause a good rogue can rock him and you are pretty much going to win if the fight goes on long enough because shamans are unbelievable at keeping themselves up at low mana.

cael
01-31-2008, 11:13 AM
I havnt really arena'ed since the begining of season 1. In 2v2 what is a good strat to keep healers alive?
I can think hamstring dps, intercept, and intervene . But is the best defense to dpsing their heals to draw their dps away from your own healer?

Chisgule
01-31-2008, 11:44 AM
The best defense is the pillars/LOS. You want you and your shaman to be optimally positioned such that you can both duck for cover as needed.

If your shaman runs by you and is being chased by someone (war/rogue, etc...), it helps to use piercing howl.

proplop
01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
sounds kind of obvious if you put it like that :)

lionel
02-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I 2v2 with a resto druid but my problem is if the Rogue is Specced for Shadowstep its a pain. I think Preparation also finishes the CD for Sprint and it dispels Hamstring plus use Evasion. They're untouchable. All I can do is Overpower and nothing else. There's been 2 matches where I had that very problem.

Kazaganthi
02-10-2008, 09:38 AM
lionel use piecing howl on him to keep him slowed during evasion. A few other things, you can demo shout him to weaken him. If you need to lay an ms on him try to get to intercept range, intercept then ms while he is stunned. If he's on you at this point piercing howl him, intervene your healer, then intercept back into him. Those are a few things that upset rogues.

Kaz