PDA

View Full Version : Treating SBV as a mitigation stat

sevve
01-27-2008, 05:00 AM
So I've been swallowing articles here and there, and I think I've gotten most of the tanking stats straight. Shield Block Value however, I'm having a hard time placing as a mitigation stat. I do realize that it depends on boss swing timer, how hard he hits etc etc, but I'm still having a hard time comparing SBV with the other tanking stats.
To come with a concrete example, I don't know which to chose between Unwavering Legguards(gemmed with stam) and Wrynn Dynasty Greaves(gemmed with dodge) for my avoidance set, but I'd really like a general answer to the issue as I see there are tons of SBV items waiting for me in ZA.
Any input appreciated.

ebs2002
01-27-2008, 06:14 AM
To answer the general question, SBV math is pretty easy when you know how much a boss hits you for normally.

If you are fighting a boss that normally hits you for 4000, 40 Shield Block Value = 1% less damage taken when you're hit. That's not a decrease in overall damage taken over time, though, because you are also avoiding. As an example, lets assume you're at 40% total avoidance (low, I know, but for math's sake). To reduce your total incoming damage over time by 1% (the same effect as 1% parry), you would need 4000*0.01/0.6=66.67 SBV.

However, I wouldn't classify SBV as an "avoidance" skill at all. Most people use their avoidance set for mobs that hit either very slow but hard, or too fast for shield block to cover them from crushing blows. Shield Block Value isn't good for either of these, because in the former case you're still getting hit for that ridiculously high amount, and in the latter case you're not blocking every hit.

SBV does, on the other hand, give a decent amount of EH while blocking (my Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600 gives 1672 at 15818 armor).

To answer your specific question, for your avoidance set I would use Wrynn's gemmed for Dodge/Parry, and gem up your unwavering for Stamina and use that for EH. Rather than trying to balance your stats by sticking STA in your item that has more dodge and Avoid in the item with more EH, it's better to maximize your item for what it's already best at.

Radhja
01-27-2008, 06:34 AM
SBV is a fun stat to toy with, but its most definitely not an avoidance stat. It's effectively "fixed numerical mitigation on proc" (as opposed to percentage-based mitigation like Armor), but it also directly scales Shield Slam Damage, making it a fantastic stat to stack for threat generation (and for those days you feel like farming AV).

Get a few high-SBV pieces and mix-n-match your sets. The higher your SBRating, the more often your SBV will matter, just don't sacrifice too much of your other stats.

Timetheos
01-27-2008, 06:44 AM
I suppose against a given mob, sufficient SBV turns block rating into an avoidance stat.

As a stat itself, though, it doesn't increase the chance you won't take a given hit, which is the definition of an avoidance stat. On the assumption that you are uncrushable (through Shield Block or otherwise), or at least that you won't take any hits/crushings, SBV reduces the damage that you take from incoming attacks, which puts it in a similar boat to AC where it modifies EH in a similar way.

Ekarderif
01-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I personally treat BV as a mitigation stat provided I have 100% SB uptime, which in most fights it is true. I do not feel that BR is worth trying to stack even with high BV because it does jack squat when SB is up. (This is ignoring the cases of passive uncrushability.)

Satrina
01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Look at it this way. Say you have 600 block value, 33% block, and 15000 armour (55.6% mitigation against a boss). In the absence of Shield Block, your block value averages to 200 mitigation per hit. If a boss hits you normally for 3000 (6750 unmitigated), your 3-hit average of 2800 (58.8% mitigation) is as if you had 2.9% more mitigation, or about 1875 more armour. On the single hit that actually lands for 2400 (64.4% mitigation), it's as if for those hits you had 8.8% more mitigation, or about 6635 more armour.

Over the course of a fight the average amount of damage blocked will fluctuate as you do and do not block, and will of course go up as you use Shield Block. At the end of a fight you can point to your block value and say that it mitigated x% of the incoming damage. Even on the hardest hitting bosses it's a non-trivial amount over the course of the fight, and it is definitely mitigation.

Radhja
01-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Taking what Satrina said into account, SBV only counts as Avoidance in the sense that it avoids Crushing Blows. In all other accounts, it is mitigation, and damn good mitigation at that. 400-600 dmg off a 3,000 pt hit may not seem like a whole lot, but over the course of a 8-10 minute (or longer) fight, it adds up to an extreme amount, and it takes a little stress off the healers.

Consider it our very own Prayer of Mending proc. :)

Kazeyonoma
01-27-2008, 12:35 PM
My question then to you OP, is why gem unwavering for avoidance? I'd much rather min-max the appropriate sets and go stam on unwavering, and avoidance on wrynn's. They work much better when maximized towards there potential instead of rebalancing them around their weaknesses.

sevve
01-27-2008, 04:11 PM
My question then to you OP, is why gem unwavering for avoidance? I'd much rather min-max the appropriate sets and go stam on unwavering, and avoidance on wrynn's. They work much better when maximized towards there potential instead of rebalancing them around their weaknesses.

Good question, it was a mistype, it is obviously the other way around and I corrected it now ;)

Thanks for great replies everyone :)